A question about CD drives

pinenut

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005

I have a TDK CD R/W drive installed in the top bay, which is the
hottest compartment of my computer.

Some CD data disks are read without any hitch sometims but with great
difficulty at other times. Does the hot CD drive or disks cause this
problem?

pinenut <pine.solution@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a TDK CD R/W drive installed in the top bay, which is the
>hottest compartment of my computer.
>Some CD data disks are read without any hitch sometims but with great
>difficulty at other times. Does the hot CD drive or disks cause this
>problem?

Put a fan on it or remove the door when in use. If you're willing to
risk it, some CD drive doors can be carefully broken so that they will
slide on and off. I keep mine off when in use. If that's too difficult
or too much trouble, try cooling it.

Good luck.

pinenut

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:35:36 GMT, John Doe
<jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:

>pinenut <pine.solution@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a TDK CD R/W drive installed in the top bay, which is the
>>hottest compartment of my computer.
>>Some CD data disks are read without any hitch sometims but with great
>>difficulty at other times. Does the hot CD drive or disks cause this
>>problem?
>
>Put a fan on it or remove the door when in use. If you're willing to
>risk it, some CD drive doors can be carefully broken so that they will
>slide on and off. I keep mine off when in use. If that's too difficult
>or too much trouble, try cooling it.
>
>Good luck.

So you also think that CD drive and CD temp does matter. I was not
sure about it.

>> Put a fan on it or remove the door when in use. If you're willing
>> to risk it, some CD drive doors can be carefully broken so that
>> they will slide on and off. I keep mine off when in use. If
>> that's too difficult or too much trouble, try cooling it.

>So you also think that CD drive and CD temp does matter. I was not
>sure about it.

I think so. Seems that heat destroyed at least one of my CD drives. By
the time errors occur, it might be too late. Good luck.