Question A Question about Mixing RAM Kits with different CAS Latency

Jan 30, 2024
So, this year I built my first custom PC for gaming/data science workloads with 64GB (2x32 GB) DDR5, specifically the low profile G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB with Cas timings of 32-38-38-96. recently, I ran into an issue where the relatively small LiDAR dataset of only 27.5 GB I was trying to work with would max out my computer's RAM and cause the program I was using to crash.

So, I thought I would just grab another kit of 64 GB, but when I went on Newegg I saw that they no longer sell the same RAM kit with Cas latency 32 timings, the only ones left in stock are the ones with Cas Latency 30 (30-40-40-96) timings. So, the question becomes, will mixing the different Cas latencies cause stability issues?

If not, great! If they do, then It's a bit more complicated. I looked around and this specific kit is now only found on Amazon, and they want to charge an extra $100.00 Canadian compared to Newegg. I could get the non-RGB variant, but then it kind of clashes with the rest of my build (I know, i know, shallow reason). They have the Intel XMP version in stock, but I'm pretty sure that mixing XMP and EXPO RAM kits are a no-go. Or I could bite the bullet and get 2 kits of 96GB (2x48GB) since my CPU (i7-14700K) can support up to 192GB RAM. (Though I just checked and apparently the 14700K only supports up to 2 channels of memory? Does that mean 2 dual channel kits, or only 2 sticks total?)

Otherwise, does anyone have any recommendations for good low profile RAM kits I might want to look into? Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
"Matched" RAM means just that, the manufacturer has tested the parts as a set and they guarantee they will work as a set. Anything else, and you are the one testing and tweaking them to get them to work.

Jan 30, 2024
Ah, makes sense. So my options are to buy as close of a matched set as I can and hope they work, cause I'm not really much for overclocking aside from enabling EXPO/XMP, or getting a kit of 4 matched sticks instead. Kind of wish I'd thought of this when I was doing the initial build back in March, but I thought that 64GB would be enough, and it is for most tasks, but when trying to deal with Big Data it falls just a little short.

Ah well, if I go with a kit of four I can at least save these old ones to use in a build down the road. Thanks for the answer you guys.