Blink_

Reputable
Jun 11, 2017
Ok so look yes I'm a hipster (Mod edit) who loves the looks of old apple stuff but hates the hardware and I have a old 2010 polycarbonate (white plastic) mac book. I love the looks of it so much like enough to pop a stiffy. Well I know I could upgrade ram and the storage to SSD but I really want to improve my cpu. Gaming isn't my main goal as I have a very capeabkle desktop but I just want a decent fast laptop and was wondering if it would be possible to ditch the lgoic board scene all together and put a regular laptop board in it or some other alternative and raspberry pies are pretty weak if I remember and if you all know of any let me know and again I know it's a really dumb idea and a waste but I'm a schmuck and love dumb stuff so if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Summary- I want to pretty much use my MacBook 2010 case to build a decent sleeper laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with that. Unless you have access to CNC equipment and specialized 3D printers, there is really no possible way to mod a laptop case to accept a different motherboard and hardware. The case, and the motherboard and power board, are co-designed to be used specifically and only with each other.

USAFRet

Titan
Summary- I want to pretty much use my MacBook 2010 case to build a decent sleeper laptop.
Basically, a laptop casemod.

Possible? Yes.
A LOT of work? Again, yes.

A large problem you'll run into is filling the preexisting port holes, that don't line up with a different motherboard.

What 3D printer do you have?
What CAD application are you comfortable with?

USAFRet

Titan
Agreed. Possible, but not really feasible or realistic for anybody who doesn't already know how this could be done.
I know I wouldn't do this.
Even with multi year experience with 3D printers, and a couple decades of hobbyist CAD use.

Another issue is the keyboard.
Merge the existing with a new motherboard?

In theory, with a LOT of CNC/printer work, you could make something that sort of looks like the original MAC thing.
And of course, time and a lot of $$$$.

For what purpose? To have a laptop that looks a decade old.

Laptop cases are far to specialized in their original config to try to massage with all different parts.