Question A system to run 4-6 virtual machine at ones with a game being run in it and being stream out all happening at the same time.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
I'm looking to take a server like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/372598593925?ul_noapp=true

and turn it into a desktop but still can use the resource and it as a server managing multiple virtual machine through the os.

Things i like to be inform on:

Every video I see it seem like it take a min for a server to boot than a desktop,, it seem slower. So I'm worrying about the speed of the application running on the virtual machine.

I research putting a os on a server but they only show the iDRACC way and they never show the os environment just some console showing it been install.

The only thing stopping me from buying that item in the link is the lack of material of running a simple window, unbuntu, or any os on a server.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Don't reply if you can't provide some link, picture, and good material shading light on this topic. I don't want no opinion base answer or you just telling me what you doing all your own system which aid no help to my current problem.
look like a job for stack overflow lol.
you giving me every other recommend than what i ask for and i gave you all information you ask for.
Listen up! To anyone who can just give me your honest opinion on the three machine below and tell me which is the best one for me or should I keep searching.
To better help ya help me who ever give their honest opinion on the three machine and which one would be the best for my use case or you tell me to keep searching I'll mark your reply as the answer.

@lv2lrn4lf Do you see what I highlighted here? You have some experts in the field volunteering their time to help you in your pursuit, and you have been patently disrespectful to them repeatedly. Thats not how this site works. We are unpaid for our time here to help you. This is going to stop. You will stop with the snide comments, the disrespect, and the attempts to lure us like you're tossing a dog a bone. Thats not how you treat anyone. If you continue, you will be asking your questions at stack overflow, because you won't be asking them here. Got it?

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
To better help us help you, a BA does nothing.

Those are all modern class processors, personally I'd go for the Z620, 16 real cores, and 32 threads, the 96GB of ram is a shame, 128 would be nice. But it'll get you started.

As to whether it is right for your application, no idea, it's a nice balance of power out of the three, no dual GPU that you won't need, so it's the best of the bunch.

Since we can't model what you are doing all you can do is estimate which has the most grunt, and if that is within your budget then that's your best choice right now. Your software, doing your things, might need more, might need less, might be serviced by some other simpler hardware, a VM for each stream seems excessive imo. However consider the likely cost of other solutions, a decently powered desktop would be similar, some specific hardware likely to be similar or a bit less.

If you were going to have to spend big money to see if this worked then you'd put more effort in up front, seeing how scaling from 1 to 4 streams worked on a test machine. But for this money, it'll do what it does, it'll cost you more to find out than to buy this and try it.

What's wrong with the z420 workstation, xeon e5-2690 2.9ghz 8 core processor, 128gb ddr3 memory, 2tb hard drive, with a nividia nvs 300, and windows 10 preofessional install. I'm with you on the it's a shame that it only have 96 of ram unless there's extra slot to put more in. I konw real cores are better but 8core with hyper threading should also put a boost in performance with giving you 8more virtual cores. in which 16 cores total in which 12 cores out of that 16 should provide enough powers for 12 machine if I'm only use 12 cores as such.

Last edited:
What's wrong with the z420 workstation, xeon e5-2690 2.9ghz 8 core processor, 128gb ddr3 memory, 2tb hard drive, with a nividia nvs 300, and windows 10 preofessional install. I'm with you on the it's a shame that it only have 96 of ram unless there's extra slot to put more in. I konw real cores are better but 8core with hyper threading should also put a boost in performance.
It's in the specs. The Z420, has no SDD and with VM's hitting the drive that'll be useful, it's also only got 1/2 the cores and threads.

Reactions: lv2lrn4lf
And what you mean by BA?
Your promise to give someone the best answer, the people you had answering have quite possibly between us got more BA's than hot dinners in your lifetime.

We help because we want to, the threat to go to stack exchange will yield a collective shrug, help us to help you and you'll get collective wisdom applied, treat us poorly and you'll not get intelligent probing questions, you'll get answers along the lines of 'do x'

Reactions: Rogue Leader

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
It's in the specs. The Z420, has no SDD and with VM's hitting the drive that'll be useful, it's also only got 1/2 the cores and threads.

Okay... an sdd can just be added in right? I mean 128gb of rams already in there and a 2tb hard drive I can sell that and get a 1tb sdd or keep it and just go get the sdd with a 100gb from what i'll be saving from not getting the $999 one... isn't that the one you talking about or the $750 one? I have to look again. but either way... maybe you right IDK talk to me a little more on it... I'mma go look at the spec too. I mean from what I heard ram is what i'll be spending most of my money on if I got this built. So coming with 128gb of rams!!! but you right with a sdd the virtual drive would run better but shouldn't they run pretty okay just with a hard drive??? Actually a whole machine would run better with a sdd.. any machine. Looking at a better performance for the long haul going with the sdd.. but I can just add it in. Now it more of a prices thing... with the money I'll be saving getting the 619 one I can go buy a brand new sdd along with a nas(I want a nas for server back up power.. putting everything on the nas backing up my whole system plus the data from users and recording).

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
Your promise to give someone the best answer, the people you had answering have quite possibly between us got more BA's than hot dinners in your lifetime.

We help because we want to, the threat to go to stack exchange will yield a collective shrug, help us to help you and you'll get collective wisdom applied, treat us poorly and you'll not get intelligent probing questions, you'll get answers along the lines of 'do x'

I just want help on what would be the best to get... I mean I was looking into just getting 12 laptop with 8gb rams, i3 processors running at 2.5ghz, with hdd all of them cause it seem the server thing would take to long to get up or left me feel at a lose of control over everything not having dealt with them in the past. But I came across towers and workstations and ran back here started posting links on which would be good. So now that's where I'm at on which one would be best or do I keep on search and since i feel i'm at the end of this journay of where to throw my money at I put that up thinking it'll rush a super mind smart guy to me and he'll write a long entry giving me more data and knowledge i can process with one read.

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
okay so you cut out the over a $1000 one and i see that the one you actually pick was around the prices I like so it between two now I guess:

https://www.amazon.com/Workstation-Professional-Installed-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07CWXXGTT/ref=sr_1_2?tag=georiot-us-default-20&qid=1552502821&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:13580787011&s=pc&sr=1-2&ascsubtag=tomshardware-1094524170978703666-20

and

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...=6361382&SID=tomshardware-4110933489885359159

but this have everything:

https://www.amazon.com/Workstation-Graphics-Windows-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07CWWYS6Q/ref=sr_1_3?tag=georiot-us-default-20&qid=1552502821&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:13580787011&s=pc&sr=1-3&ascsubtag=tomshardware-9095121442823492718-20

and I think you was referring to the over a $1000 one but one of the other has a ssd.

over a thousand one have 16cores which will give 32threads to work with like you said. and the other one which is under a thousand both have 8 cores one go a little bet faster with ghz both both above 2.4+ghz one have 128rams and the other has 96gb rams but that one has a sdd... and i could get the one over a thousand that has everything plus the 128 and i get why it over a thousand with those 16 beautiful cores!!! but I also was thinking of getting a NAS for datastorage and back up of my whole system so in case of a hardware issues we at least preserve a state of our work and operations to boot up on another system which is what I had in mind... so if i get the over a thousand one I'll still have to worry about the nas machine... I mean how important is a sdd when running virtual machines when I have over 128gb of ram to throw at them? A sdd is just good for faster access of store memory that doesn't get access at much as ram does which why all running application get store in ram and than ran... and how important is 8 vs 12 cores even know I know each core can be look at as a computer but hyper threading is also give you additional cores even know they not real. I would rather get a brand new nas if I'm getting a used system to make sure that all data is store on a device that is new. And can i just buy another processor to add more cores to the computer even know they can be expansive and go for $100 to $1000 but I'mma pay more on additional things so buying another process i can get a used one just under a $100 or a brand new one just under $200 I'll be saving big doing that but that mean I'll have to open up the computer but that what I want to do down the road not to soon.

Last edited:

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
what are dual GPU's from 2009 worth?
You'll need a much bigger SSD for the VM's anyway, 40GB each for the OS + apps, x12 = 480GB of storage for the virtual drives. So a 1TB class SSD is what you're looking at, SATA only as M.2 didn't exist at that point.
Yes you right a 1tb class sdd would be great... but beside the feature you spoke on the big different are 8 - 16cores(tell me are the processor themselves are the same at least or different if you can remember) and the no sdd to 256gb sdd to 500gb sdd to you saying a 1tb is what i need sdd. And I agree you are right a 16cores and 1tb sdd would be great... but i did some research and saw I could buy another process with 8 cores i can get a used one just under a $100 or a brand new one just under $200 I'll be saving big and I see that I can get
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Intel+Xeon+E5-2670&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

and a 1tb sdd brand new under $200
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tb+sdd&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

spending roughly 300-400 dollars on those components I'm not going to start on day one with 12 virtual machine running that just an ideal number of how many to have running at one time. realistically it'll be 3-6 for starter and progress to 8 with at the most 10-12 running if things are super busy!

So I'm asking your beautiful brain could I just buy a 1tb sdd and another 8 core process which both I link to and open up the machine and add these two components from what you see of those two other machines under a thousand. or would you still go with the already have it in there computer???

this computer has everything but no sdd and just 8 cores in which it need a 1tb sdd and 8 more real cores :

the only thing i don't like is a tax of $50 dollars is added on

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...=6361382&SID=tomshardware-4110933489885359159

and this one has everything but it has just 256 sdd and 8 cores and also 96gb rams so can I just get a 1tb sdd to replace the 256gb and another 8 core processor and I don't know if there's a $50 dollar tax fee It been a min since I brough from amazon if there is than a part of me would feel tug towards the newegg one.

https://www.amazon.com/Workstation-Professional-Installed-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07CWXXGTT/ref=sr_1_2?tag=georiot-us-default-20&qid=1552502821&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:13580787011&s=pc&sr=1-2&ascsubtag=tomshardware-1094524170978703666-20

And how do you feel about newegg vs amazon in returns and customer services?

And how do you feel about using a nas to backup all data including the whole system it self incase of a hardware failure and also users data or just using it to back up the whole system and important data to have at arm reach? I value your opinion.

Last edited:

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
what are dual GPU's from 2009 worth?

I don't know when reread this part I went to look that up and came up with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Express-Grap...=dual+GPU&qid=1552579097&s=electronics&sr=1-6

but google show me something different and amazon too if i just scroll down on the research result page:
https://www.google.com/search?ei=I3....0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39.9zllRdWHxnk

I type in 2009 and nothing is popping up but i came across this:

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Prod...x5-o3j0HiLRDZlkWzABoC3XcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

after reading some stuff like this:
https://pc.net/helpcenter/answers/desktop_with_multiple_monitors

to help me better understand gpu towards monitor I see that to pick out what i need but i still don't know what a dual gpu 2009(the year???) is worth since when I search with the year in mind nothing comes up to it exactly but i did came across this:
https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Prod...H2PiEQdY19rdWZfYRYRoCWIIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I don't know how many monitor it can support(propbably two since it dual) but it could easily support up to 4 since one gpu chip can support two but I just don't know how to tell unless you just have to go the the website and look it up or is there some hit that would be in the item description it self to tell you how many screen it support regardless if it one gpu you chip or two cause some gpu chip can do dual by it self. I know I display a simple laptop across three screen one being it own screen so really two screen... don't know what type of gpu it had though... Okay so it have a intel hd 4000 which you really have to research or know the site to go to just get the info of how many screen support or get a hint on the connector which the intel hd 5000 or 4000 either one support up to 3 screen... but there's this which is not in my ideal prices range to pay for something like this but still it cool:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0085O90SQ/ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Do you know of any other option to deal with the multi screen display problem? Or know a site that offer them for not that expensive? Or both?

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: lv2lrn4lf

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
For ~$250, you buy a wide selection of current midrange GPUs, that will handle 2 or 3 monitors.

Okay so you saying to buy multiple cheap midrange gpus and tie them together cool. I was looking at the z420 and I don't think it can support 12 cores or more on it. I believe I saw it say max chip set one. Correct me if I'm wrong. And I can just buy one of those 1tb sdd and put it in there myself I saw a video and it seem easy! And I tried to find information on the number of cores or ship but i am not clear if I can add another chip and again if I can, can i just buy another chip and add it in there myself?

g-unit1111

Titan

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
Dare I ask?
Just as "why multiple VM's?" (which was never actually answered)

Why does this system need multiple physical monitors?

Why? I answer that... To view all the operations that is being done and to make sure everything is running correctly and to separate each one in it's own environment with out concern of closing a window accidentally messing with one of the operations being done in it, all the norm to why you would want to use virtual machines and the multiple display screen.

All the research I did I came to an ideal machine for this project. server would had been great if I had some experiences with them I found cheap sever with more cores and rams needed!
But anyway so it should be a workstation instead of a server with 128gb of rams 12 cores and window 10 pro edition along with a gpu that support up to three to four screen display.

Now what's important and expensiveness? cpu, rams, and software os environment, speaking of window 10 pro. I computer that comes with these I can go get a graphic card myself like the one i link to that had 6 ports for 6 screen!

All in all if I can find on amazon a machine with at least 12 cores ahd half the gb of rams need plus a dual gpu card would be nice or cut back the scale of this system to just eight screen and go with that 8 core processors. I'mma see what I can find any links to production is much appreciative.

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
You do realize that each "VM" does not need its own physical monitor.
You know this, right?

No matter which monitor, full screen or not, it is still just a window.

I know but at the time of creating the workflow and testing out stuff it was noted that from one test set that certain recorders do not keep recording when not visible to screen this test case out the many was done with a software virtual environment set up where you can flip the screen around like a cube and get 4 desktop out of rotating. when rotated and not visible the software record a froze image.

16 cores is better and needed. So what I'm going to do is contact the seller to see if he/she can put 128gb instead of 96gb of rams in there and take away the 256gb sdd and put window 10 pro on there for virtual machine reason, here the spec for it now:
  • HP Z620 Workstation
  • 16-Core 2x 8-Core 2.60GHz Intel Xeon E5-2670
  • 96GB
  • 256GB SSD
  • 1TB Hard Drives
  • Quadro 600
  • Windows 7 Professional No Media Disc
here how I like the spec to look:
  • HP Z620 Workstation
  • 128GB
  • NO SSD
  • 1TB Hard Drives
  • Quadro 600
  • Windows 10 Professional No Media Disc
and with a Quadro 600 I can display across 8 screen:

https://www.nvidia.com/object/product-quadro-600-us.html

Quadro 600 delivers advanced capabilities including 3D Vision™ Pro for high quality stereoscopic 3D environments and Mosaic Technology¹ which enables any application to scale across up to eight displays.

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
I'm probably going to go with this:

• HP Z620 Workstation
  • 96GB
  • 256GB SSD
  • 1TB Hard Drives
  • Quadro 600
  • Windows 7 Professional No Media Disc

even know this would be nice:

• HP Z620 Workstation
  • 128GB
  • NO SSD
  • 1TB Hard Drives
  • Quadro 600
  • Windows 10 Professional No Media Disc

I can just buy additional 16gb ram I'm just concern will it fit in there or will I have to buy more ram to replace some of the other rams with more gb to get to 128gb or close to it. And as far was window to go window 7 can utilize window native virtual machine but it not truely native in the snese it came with it, you''ll have to download something to enable it. And it wont be 100 percent like it would be in window 10 pro environment. and the reason why I wanted the sdd remove cause I wnated to a 1tb ssd. but i still can do that and maybe sell or keep the ssd that came with it for back up even know I'm still getting a nas to bsck up everything. How does it sound using a nas until I can get a server machine to play with and learn for fun so i can utilize it in the real world. regradless with 16 cores and just 19 or 20 gb shy of 128 and windows 7 pro isn't bad it's just I'm using window 10 so I wanted a system to run the same thing I have another device that I am running window 7 i believe.

As usually any feed back to this reply is welcome.

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019

All man I'm here looking at paying around $550(nas+4drives(both use plus an additional 5 and 6 drive one for drive failer and the other one for cold backup)) I can just pay like around a hundred or two for a simple server machine that comes with ram and storage drive included. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Power...455030?hash=item56c0b7bf76:g:UPAAAOSw7bla13v2

just for example and also discussion of turning a server machine into a nas:

So now I'm stuck there... I mean if I can find a cheap nas model ds418 I'll be okay with that but the only good one it seem to be out there is the one I link to and that one over $300 plus I read that the nas can be use as a server! So what the big different between a nas and a server machine other than the hardware and software it use to do the same job of data storage and data retrieval... I read people say they'll host they're hold network and files through a nas or two for double the back up in case something happen to either one or the other. And how hard would it be for me to just get use to the interface... I like working with command lines when i need too. Now if i get this nas and I see I can use it as a web server I will to host websites but why not get a server machine? nas seem simple too.. Your opinion? but I'm probably just going to pay for the nas since it small won't be much noticeable and complement the tower I'll get to a certain degrees.

TRENDING THREADS