Question A system to run 4-6 virtual machine at ones with a game being run in it and being stream out all happening at the same time.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
I'm looking to take a server like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/372598593925?ul_noapp=true

and turn it into a desktop but still can use the resource and it as a server managing multiple virtual machine through the os.

Things i like to be inform on:

Every video I see it seem like it take a min for a server to boot than a desktop,, it seem slower. So I'm worrying about the speed of the application running on the virtual machine.

I research putting a os on a server but they only show the iDRACC way and they never show the os environment just some console showing it been install.

The only thing stopping me from buying that item in the link is the lack of material of running a simple window, unbuntu, or any os on a server.

Last edited:

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
Yes.
I have a similar Qnap. TS-453A.
https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-Braswell-Quad-Core-1-6GHz-TS-453A-8G-44R-US/dp/B01AU104IG
Bonus, it also does multi channel camera input and streaming.
thanks for the link and recommendation. I swing more and feel more comfortable with looking at Synology 4 bay NAS DiskStation DS418 (Diskless) for under $400 even know it don't support hot swap. You can use it as a server if I'm understanding that correctly and it seem pretty easy to set up and friendly too.

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
Yes.
I have a similar Qnap. TS-453A.
https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-Braswell-Quad-Core-1-6GHz-TS-453A-8G-44R-US/dp/B01AU104IG
Bonus, it also does multi channel camera input and streaming.
Oh man I just found out about shucking... so i could buy like five cheap exeternal drive and put them in the nas machine... but i can turn any machine into a freenas machine... the only worry is the machine it self... I'mma hold off on the nas and buy a few external drive and a cheaper workstation with multiple drives slot to have a storeage plus with one exeternal hard drive i can use it as a cold storage.

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
Hey @USAFRet my favorite moderator... crazy thing is I didn't even know you was a mod nor did I knew you was a mod @13thmonkey, and you too peter griffin and than I look in the mirror and saw I was a mod too!!!!!! lol just joking but no serious I did not know you guys was mods I feel kinda deceived by not knowing I was talking to mobs and not normal users... I mean all over my post mods!!!! Reading stuff and answering my question!!!...

I only realize you was mod after f91 sent me a long post with a bunch of red flags at me... I mean if you going to get in a mecha why f91??? No where near as strong as a evangelion suit! Nothing can defeat that and surely no f91 can rival it's power... like facing off a laptop with 8gb of ram 2 core processor and 124hdd with a workstation that's has 24 cores over 200gb of rams, 4tb ssd and a crazy gpu!!! If I had to polite any type of gundam it would be the legendary Gundam Barbatos from Iron-Blooded Orphans oh man what a great series! And the gundam in it is like evangelion suit especially at the last episode!!!

... I take that back I rather climb into a normal gundam that don't try to fry your brain nor body now that I recall.... where was I going with this... oh yeah, so I look at his picture and saw the word "Moderator" in blue.... than I scroll to see what it say under my but than I pass you @USAFRet, and my eye caught something blue and scroll back up to find out you was a mod too!! than I start to look at everyone and saw nothing but blue labels every where the horror of being watch so closely by moderator to the point that you don't even know they are mods!!!!

But I digress.... @USAFRet!!! Also from that mod I learnt how to do the at thingy with your name... @USAFRet!!! I saw a laptop under $40 dollars with window 10 pro on it!!!!! Can I transfer that windows version to a different computer like say the one Imma purchase for my "video capture and streaming enterprise"?(Don't tell others the ideal!)

I ones again would like to say how shock I am by the number of mods on my post!!! I mean where are the regular users!!! Not that I'm complaining, I would think mods would be one of the most knowledgeable people to receive help from in a forum but man all mods!!!! from the beginning too.. nothing but blue... crazy...

Look forward to your reply @USAFRet... not that you owe me one as said my f91.. but I do like reading your replies, you and @13thmonkey, replies... And I'm shock to find out this guy @COLGeek is a mob too I just though he was a normal user like me jeez louise!!! What I do... can i be a mob too?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, you've had several moderators...AKA "Very experienced people"...commenting on this. You might want to listen to what they say.

No, don't buy a $40 laptop with the thought of transferring that OS license to other hardware.
Just install Win 10, and skip the license part. It runs absolutely fine, in the Unactivated state.

Later, when your budding enterprise gets off the ground and is actually earning money...you can purchase your OS licenses.

Reactions: lv2lrn4lf

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
Yes, you've had several moderators...AKA "Very experienced people"...commenting on this. You might want to listen to what they say.

No, don't buy a $40 laptop with the thought of transferring that OS license to other hardware.
Just install Win 10, and skip the license part. It runs absolutely fine, in the Unactivated state.

Later, when your budding enterprise gets off the ground and is actually earning money...you can purchase your OS licenses.
okay... So you want me to go behind the back of the second biggest ** aka Microsoft and use there software without a license which is like not paying tax... Okay I'll try hope they dont ** me after it take off the ground and they want compensation for when i was using it and not paying for it. I would think window 10 pro os even downloaded from a pirate site that it wouldn't allow me to actually use the operating system like normal espically when i want window 10 pro really for the hyperV!!!! for virtualization. Do you know if I can use that feature still? and can you speak on different virtual ware right quick and what one you like best?

Last edited by a moderator:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You can download Windows 10 directly from MS and use it unactivated. It is allowed to be used that way, indefinitely. No need to use nefarious sites at all.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

See here, as well:

USAFRet

Titan
okay... So you want me to go behind the back of the second biggest ** aka Microsoft and use there software without a license which is like not paying tax... Okay I'll try hope they dont ** me after it take off the ground and they want compensation for when i was using it and not paying for it. I would think window 10 pro os even downloaded from a pirate site that it wouldn't allow me to actually use the operating system like normal espically when i want window 10 pro really for the hyperV!!!! for virtualization. Do you know if I can use that feature still? and can you speak on different virtual ware right quick and what one you like best?
Don't pirate it.

Win 10, either Home or Pro, runs just fine without activation.
I have a long running test of exactly this. Win 10 Pro, installed in a VirtualBox VM on Dec 8 2016. Over 2 years. Runs just like normal, with a few small caveats.
Customization of the desktop and Taskbar is limited, and a randomly appearing watermark at bottom right of the screen.

I've not found any other feature that does not work, so Hyper-V will work as well. And it costs $0 to try it.

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
You can download Windows 10 directly from MS and use it unactivated. It is allowed to be used that way, indefinitely. No need to use nefarious sites at all.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

See here, as well:

@COLGeek thanks for the two links, I have review them and gain knowledge and some understanding of using the os with out paying first.

Don't pirate it.

Win 10, either Home or Pro, runs just fine without activation.
I have a long running test of exactly this. Win 10 Pro, installed in a VirtualBox VM on Dec 8 2016. Over 2 years. Runs just like normal, with a few small caveats.
Customization of the desktop and Taskbar is limited, and a randomly appearing watermark at bottom right of the screen.

I've not found any other feature that does not work, so Hyper-V will work as well. And it costs $0 to try it.

Cool thaks for the info and links now I have no problem with getting a machine with out window 10 pro and still install it myself:

Summary

Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Xeon
RAM 96 GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive 256.00 SSD
Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA Quadro 600
Chipset Brand NVIDIA
Card Description dedicated

Other Technical Details

Brand Name The Server Store, by MET International
Series Z620
Hardware Platform PC
Operating System Windows 7 Professional
Item Weight 40 pounds
Product Dimensions 17.5 x 6.8 x 18.3 inches
Item Dimensions L x W x H 17.5 x 6.75 x 18.3 inches
Processor Brand Intel
Processor Count 2
Computer Memory Type GDDR4
Hard Drive Interface Solid State

here the same unit but a different format of displaying the feature:
  • HP Z620 Workstation
  • 16-Core 2x 8-Core 2.60GHz Intel Xeon E5-2670
  • 96GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD / 1TB Hard Drive
Are all these good spec for my ideal work flow? I know we spoke on it already but just one more time before I make this purchase. This unit which you know is the one you said should do fine and around $700

Last edited:

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
Air cooling or water cooling? water cooling look cold but a big risk of it is... water... seperated by a plastic tub flowing around circuits and hardware. I seen a couple videos where fan rival water cooling for a system. What you think?

USAFRet

Titan
Air cooling or water cooling? water cooling look cold but a big risk of it is... water... seperated by a plastic tub flowing around circuits and hardware. I seen a couple videos where fan rival water cooling for a system. What you think?
You're way overcomplicating things, and increasing the budget.
Whatever cooling situation it comes with, leave it like it is.

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
@COLGeek your name sound like loki you should change your picture. Anyone know where to get cheap but good monitors? Anmite 21.5(22) inch high-definition curved lcd computer monitor game for 99? actually like to spend $50 on each, I saw a AOC E1659FWU USB-3 Powered LCD Monitor 15.6" - BLACK for 14 dollars on ebay. What I really want is a screen 15.6 size, anyone know of any screens of that size for the low?

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
are these two the same thing?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ELEGIANT...75e-81ea-eea4fd26f3bf&adpgm=wpa&pltfm=desktop

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plugable...dapter-and-Two-Smart-Charging-ports/290198635

and if so why the one with the must port cheaper? the second link I saw a video of a guy using it to connect 7 screen together also I plan to purchase 4-6 of one of these screen in the list:

I read it and not sure what is the best one, which one you think??

also consider this one too:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBNbGRh1cAY

lv2lrn4lf

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
A system to run 4-6 virtual machine at ones with a game(browsers or unity games) being run in it and being stream out all happening at the same time. I have 700-800 budget right now. would love if i came pre-made. I make a post for this.

A browsers and unity game does not take that much processor. you can have dozen of tabs open up on your computer and unity is made to even be more efficient than most browsers. So don't focus to much on that aspect. What i'm more worry about is pushing data out. I have upload speed cover i have a plan that will give me around 300 mpbs upload speed. The only thing I'm stressing about is finding a system that can handle the work load. And again we not talking about high graphic games we talking about broweres and unity games here. Would love it if someone can link a system that can handle all of this on amazon, if not amazon i'm cool with looking other places you might have a system to link to.

Question you may ask:

1. what you trying to do?
answer: run 4-6 virtual machine with a game either a browser base game or a unity game which both isn't that demanding.
2. what you looking to spend?
answer: my current budget is 600-800 hundred i can boost that up to 300 hundred if need too but if i can find a system between 600-800 hundred that would be great
3. what the spec of the software you will be running?
answer: software i will be running is obs, browsers, and unity standalone application which all doesn't take that much to run so don't worry about those spec or just guess and you'll guess right or close enough or better yet guess and a little more to over shoot and that would be good enough.

hopefully i provided all the information that i don't have to add any additional information. i gave the what, how, and for the why... cause this is what i want to do.

Thanks for any helpful replies especially link ones with explanation on why you feel this would work for me.

TRENDING THREADS