Question a variety of (probably) related boot problems

Jan 20, 2020
since i upgraded my computer with a new gpu, motherboard, cpu and ram i have had problems booting. it seem to be completely random what happens. some of these are:

1. computer takes 2 tries to boot
when this happens i start it up, motherboard posts, i can enter the BIOS, but the windows 10 boot gets cut short and i'm left with a black screen. i hold the power button, shut it off, restart it, and everything is fine on the next boot. the weird part is how it only affects the first boot of the day. i can restart my computer or shut it off and come back in an hour and it will be fine. go to sleep and turn it on in the morning? same problem again. i have found that unplugging one of my 2 monitors causes the first boot to work but:

2. display problems after boot
when i unplug one of my monitors (doesn't matter which) it boots fine but the resolution is set ridiculously low (like 300 x 400 on a 1080p display) and extremely laggy until i change it back to default. if i plug in my other monitor, no mater what i do, it wont be detected. so i reboot, everything is fine.

3. cant wake from sleep or hibernate
if i put my computer to sleep it will sleep and it will seem like nothing is wrong. as soon as i click or press a key it SHOULD wake up, but instead it:
-shows a black screen for 30 seconds
-reboots after

4. i have different backgrounds on each monitor and they get messed up every few boots (switching, one changes to the other, no background at all)

5. on one occasion i managed to delete my profile picture, somehow, just by booting.

i will update this post if anything else happens when booting. i have tried reseating ram and unplugging all peripherals. i have no clue what could cause these things and neither does google. please help.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020
What are the specs for the system in question (make/model of all installed components)?

When you swapped in the new components, did you perform a full, clean install of Windows or did you recycle a previous installation?
ryzen 5 3600, EVGA rtx 2060, corsair vengeance rgb pro 16 gb ram, msi b450 tomahawk max

old specs before upgrade:
fx 6300, rx 560, mystery 8 gb ram (prebuilt computer), gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 r2
i kept the original installation.

i should add that once the computer boots correctly i have zero issues with anything.

Jan 20, 2020
I will download those and see if anything changes but it’s very difficult to test because I can really only do one test per day. the way my case is designed makes it extremely difficult to see my PSU but I know it’s 450 watt 80+ rating

okay so i downloaded the and installed them. i restarted and to test if anything changed i put it to sleep. after a few seconds i try to wake it up. fans start, lights turn on, nothing on display. 30 seconds later it fully shuts off and reboots. then both monitors got set to the background of monitor 1. yay!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020
The RTX 2060 calls for a 500w (minimum) PSU.

i know, but it somehow works fine on 450 watts. wouldn't it just not work at all if it didn't have enough? i have had no issues with things with high performance requirements. maybe the minimum is more like a recommended? and why would i only have issues on startup and waking? i think its something else but i may be wrong.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your current PSU MAY work until put under a heavy processing load (like when gaming).

The main issues you have are more likely associated with the recycles Windows install. Your best bet may simply be to reinstall Windows with your current hardware.

Jan 20, 2020
Your current PSU MAY work until put under a heavy processing load (like when gaming).

The main issues you have are more likely associated with the recycles Windows install. Your best bet may simply be to reinstall Windows with your current hardware.
i will probably get a small m.2 ssd and put it on that instead of my current hdd. i wanted to do that eventually anyway. that will take a while though. at least these problems aren't major, just inconvenient. i would still really like to know why its only the first boot every day that messes up, its just weird.

forgot to mention that i'm pretty sure the gpu works fine even under heavy gaming. if it didn't, what would happen? throttling or complete failure (bluescreen or worse)?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The PSU will likely be okay until it doesn't. Overworked/stressed PSUs will continue to work to a point (no exact way of predicting). The quality of your PSU is really the determining factor whether you'll be okay in the long run. What exact make/model is it?

The previous install of Windows was for a completely different hardware config. Sometimes (often with updating all drivers) "recycled" installs work, sometimes they don't. Just a lot of variables to try to isolate the exact cause. You can look in Event Viewer for any clues.

Jan 20, 2020
The PSU will likely be okay until it doesn't. Overworked/stressed PSUs will continue to work to a point (no exact way of predicting). The quality of your PSU is really the determining factor whether you'll be okay in the long run. What exact make/model is it?

The previous install of Windows was for a completely different hardware config. Sometimes (often with updating all drivers) "recycled" installs work, sometimes they don't. Just a lot of variables to try to isolate the exact cause. You can look in Event Viewer for any clues.
okay. i will try to see the exact model but the way my case is designed makes that extremely difficult.

Jan 20, 2020
So this morning it booted on the first try but I have the issue with the second monitor not connecting no matter what. An SSD is on its way, and I should have that done in a few days.

Jan 20, 2020
The SSD came, I installed windows and it’s working. I haven’t been able to test for boot issues yet but will Tomorrow. I took pictures of the power supply labels, what would be the best way for you to see them?

Jan 20, 2020
So some... interesting news. I tested the boot and was disappointed when i got a black screen. Now, I don’t know what caused it, but it started working after a bit. What I did:
  1. Unplugged HDMI and tried plugging into motherboard
  2. Other display started working
  3. Moved hdmi back and both worked

maybe it’s not related to what I did at all and if I wait long enough the screen will fix itself? Maybe the SSD’s fast load times helped me see that? Either way, I’m not going back to a hard drive. So it wasn’t a waste.

Jan 20, 2020
The PSU is of average quality, but is under-powered for long-term use.
Good to know, will probably replace in a few months. Hope that isn’t too long? But on the software side of things, I’m having some new problems. I tried logging in earlier and got a message saying windows couldn’t log me in. I’ve been trying for about an hour and everything I try failed so I just reinstalled windows again (didn’t even do anything yet on other instillation) so it’s not a big deal. I’m still setting it up again.

Jan 20, 2020
so i have an update:
i turned on my computer this morning around 7. its been off between about 8 to 3:30. it took 2 tries to restart at 3:30. so about 8 hours is long enough to "reset." i'm still having the same problems with sleep mode. i put it to sleep, wake it up, and no output. after about 10 seconds it reboots. once it reboots both monitors get switched to the same background. repeated the process with one monitor connected and same thing, but no background shenanigans. i updated the motherboard drivers and that did nothing.