machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A sound card that supports both :tongue: i.e. SBLive! series.

Morgan 1.6Ghz + 256DDR = Dream on
However dreams are approacable :wink:

G

I'd just get a SBLive! since Aureal is no more and A3D was a joke. A3D took a performance hit of 10 - 40 fps off any game when it was enabled. I don't think it was ever all it was cut out to be. I tried it with Half Life, Quake3, UT, and Tribes, and the performance hit was just too much.

G

A3D would have been a lot better had the Sound Card done all the work instead of making the CPU do it all for it.

G

I use A3D on a Diamond Monster Sound MX300, with NO noticable performance hit. BTW, EAX is not 3D sound either, it is just Reverb. It isn't directional like A3D. A3D2 is better than both of them. It uses wavetracing for UNREAL reverb

G

40fps loss? Out of what, 1000fps? Both cards are good. Aureal is dead, but still works fine. I have used both and currently am sticking with my MX300. It is much better in Counter Strike than my Live card.

G

I think the cards that handle A3D through hardware are the best, anyway EAX is nice for environment effects but A3D is true positional audio, without quadrophonic speakers (you can have 3d audio through your headphone!).

G

I own both an MX300 and a SB live card, in my opinion the SB live sucks compared to the MX300. There's no comparison.

Aussie

G

A3D is by far more superior to EAX... even though Aureal is dead :frown: (it's still alive in our hearts).

-Serge