A7A266 weird errors...

G

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the graphics card section, but here's my problem. I just finished building my new PC and it worked fine for a week, but now its chock full of weird errors. Sometimes it will fail to find my floppy drive, other times I get a blue screen of death right before Windows loads up. The comp will also hang in DOS mode for an exceedingly long time before booting up, several minutes at least before either loading windows or crashing. Finally, every once in a while my screen will flash and will fill up with randoms vertical bars of color.

Here's the specs on my comp.
Athlon 1 gig 266 FSB
Asus A7A266 Mobo
256 mg 2100 DDR RAM
Radeon 64 mg
Soundblaster Live! Value
12x PC-DVD Encore w/ Dxr3 card
HP CD/RW 9100
Linksys Lan Card
US Robotics Hardware Modem
Win 98SE

I think that I've nailed part of the problem down on an overheating Radeon, but I'm not sure about the rest. I have Asus Probe installed and the CPU and Mobo temp is fine. If anyone would be able to help me, I'd be much obliged.

Coffee bad for Video Card?
Me not understand...

G

I also had a A7A266.... My dealer said there are some early versions of the board that have a bad voltage regulator. This was causing havock with my system. I tried to contact ASUS support but, that was useless also. My dealer replaced the board with a newer version. Hope this helps.

G

I was just reading the Asus tech support forums and I just realized that A LOT of people are having problems with this board. Perhaps I should get a new board...

Coffee bad for Video Card?
Me not understand...

G

"I was just reading the Asus tech support forums and I just realized that A LOT of people are having problems with this board. Perhaps I should get a new board..."

I hate it when people say these kind of things. of course if you go to a tech support forum for a product you will only see posts for people having problems. Why else would you go there? Its like people who bitch about "everyone" driving too fast. The reason they think everyone is driving to fast is because it is only thos few people that drive fast that you see because they are the ones that pass you. Make sence? I don't know personaly how good this mobo is but I do have one on order and from THIS forum I have seen that most people are calling this one of the most stable DDR socket A boards out.

Please do not pee in the gene pool!

2fast

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
I have this Mother board and has been running very well since May, I see lots of issues with heat and some may not be using the latest Bios version 1004. but for me personnally this board ROCKS. I run some pretty demanding CPU and Video card games such as N4 and the system has been very stable. I also agree with snert most people who post their have problems and or complaints.

If it ain't broke don't fix it