A7V with Athlon 750 can't boot windows..

G

As my previous post in this matter...
My problem is that every time I try to boot windows either from the HD or from a floppy, I get complaints of corrupt files or something like that. Most of the time the system just shuts down and reboots when coming to the windows splash screen (winME). But when disbling the L1 and L2 cache on the CPU everything seems to work, then it's possible to boot windows..

I have now also tried to underclock to about 700 or lower and when doing that it's working just fine with the cache-memories enabled!!

Can this have to do with the voltages to the cpu (the vcore is on default), is it too low?? Some people thought it was a faulty cpu, but when I tried to underclock and it worked fine, I doubted that....but I really don't know..

What should the voltages be set to???
Is it a faulty cpu or maybe motherboard??

Regards Johan

My system spec.

ASUS A7V rev 1.02 bios ver. 1005a
AMD athlon 750 Mhz
128 meg DIMM pc133 running at 100 Mhz..
ATI graphics card (pci)
HD - reformatted on this board..with winME
LS-120 drive
that's all...

My temps are stable at around 44 degrees on the cpu and 30 on the MB, so that doesn't seems to be a problem...

G

If disabling the L1 cache seems to make it work, then it could possibly be the cpu, as another forum member already suggested. Does your hard drive work in another system? Did you try another drive in your system?

However, it could also be the motherboard. There was another member "ThomScott" who eventualy went out and got another a7v board which worked for him.

G

sounds like a bad CPU to me... I just replaced a bad K6II in an older system... it would 'occasionally' crash... now its solid.

G

I haven't tried another harddrive but I have formatted it on this board. Furthermore it doesnt work when booting from floppy either.

Ok, thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at the mess. from that ThomScott..

Any suggestions about the voltages?...It shouldn't be a problem when set on default...or could it??

Thanks,
Johan

G

I just use the default voltage myself.

for a detailed explanation of the voltages refer to the following documents:

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/techdocs/pdf/21016.pdf

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/techdocs/pdf/22651.pdf

Did you try having the drive on UDMA 33 IDE controller instead of the Ultra Ata100 controller?

If your still mucking around with the board after a few days and have no luck making it work, you better take it back.

You said it doesn't work when booting from the floppy - like it doesn't boot or you can't see the c: drive?

G

Yes, it's on the ide-controller..I have the ATA bios disabled..
Booting from floppy is just like booting from hd, I just get something like "system disk not found". Oh by the way, when upgrading to 1005a I now get this error message instead of the computer just crashing when coming to the splash screen and reboot as it did before. But still same problem...

/Johan

G

After the "system disk not found" error message, what happens if you press enter - does it continue on and use the os on the hard disk?

If you feel your floppy drive is OK and that your disk in the floppy is OK, then I would say cut your losses and take the board back.

G

I can press enter forever ;-)..still same message...(not the usual 1005a problem)

I really would like to know where the problem lies (cpu, mobo, power) so I don't get it back again saying everything works fine..just costs a lot of money. Ordered it online too..

Thanks for your help!

/Johan

G

If you are certain that the floppy diskette is OK, and that the floppy drive is OK, and that the floppy cable is OK, and that you have connected the floppy cable correctly, I would think it's the motherboard.

Did you load "setup defaults" after you flashed the bios? What is the hardware monitor telling you? Are the voltages OK? Are there any m/b alarms going off? If you take all the hard drives off the controllers (i.e. only have the floppy connected) can you boot this way? Are you sure you have enabled booting from the floppy in the bios? Because if you checked all that, then you should have a pretty good case that it's the motherboard.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gorenc on 12/18/00 09:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>