Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Don't know if this is the place for this question But I have a A8v Deluxe
MB and loaded win xp pro one the hardrive .But I can not get on the net
with my network connections It tell me no or limited connection and I
tried connection to modem with Ethernet card and usb and get same thing
will not receive any packets.
Does anyone know how to solve this
Thanks
Thomas

"Thomas" <tgs@cox.net> wrote in message
> Don't know if this is the place for this question But I have a A8v Deluxe
> MB and loaded win xp pro one the hardrive .But I can not get on the net
> with my network connections It tell me no or limited connection and I
> tried connection to modem with Ethernet card and usb and get same thing
> will not receive any packets.
> Does anyone know how to solve this
> Thanks
> Thomas

Are the drivers for the Ethernet card installed? They're on the CD that
comes with the board. Otherwise, the only network connection that Windows XP
Pro detects in the initial install is through the firewire port.

Hope this helps

Nelson

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Yes the driver have been installed . and reinstalled
"Nelson Lee" <nelsonycl@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Thomas" <tgs@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Don't know if this is the place for this question But I have a A8v Deluxe
>> MB and loaded win xp pro one the hardrive .But I can not get on the net
>> with my network connections It tell me no or limited connection and I
>> tried connection to modem with Ethernet card and usb and get same thing
>> will not receive any packets.
>> Does anyone know how to solve this
>> Thanks
>> Thomas
>>

> Are the drivers for the Ethernet card installed? They're on the CD that
> comes with the board. Otherwise, the only network connection that Windows
> XP
> Pro detects in the initial install is through the firewire port.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Nelson

Paul

Splendid

In article <1XqYd.7056$N15.1927@okepread06>, "Thomas" <tgs@cox.net> wrote:

> Don't know if this is the place for this question But I have a A8v Deluxe
> MB and loaded win xp pro one the hardrive .But I can not get on the net
> with my network connections It tell me no or limited connection and I
> tried connection to modem with Ethernet card and usb and get same thing
> will not receive any packets.
> Does anyone know how to solve this
> Thanks
> Thomas

Set up the Marvell Virtual Cable tester. I was surprised to
find on my GbE interface, that my Ethernet cable was bad.
Repeated insertion and removal of the cable, into the RJ45
connector, cleaned the gunk off the Asus connector pins.

The beauty of GbE chips, is they use all four pairs on the
Ethernet cable. GbE chips also support MDI/MDIX. What that
means, is you can connect from your computer, to a WAN or
LAN port on another device, and the GbE PHY on your computer
is smart enough to pick the right two pairs from a 10/100BT
interface by itself. In the old days, you might need a
null modem (rolled) ethernet cable to make such a connection.
GbE chips are truly flexible that way. It also means you
can connect a GbE computer to a 10/100BT computer, using
an ordinary Ethernet cable.

Give the VCT a try, and see if it reports the right number
of wire pairs are operational. Four pairs are needed for
a connection to a gigabit device. Two pairs are needed for
10/100BT.

HTH,
Paul

Nero

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003

"tried connection to modem with Ethernet card and usb and get same thing "
There is NO way that you would get the "limited connection"message/problem
with a USB modem as that problem is when the pc cannot get the right IP
address and only happens with NIC'S/Lan cards .

It sound like a NIC setup problem, not a HW or drivers issue.
I would revise the settings of your net and test ethernet cable in other pc
(just in case).

As soon as I got a board with Gigabit I bought new, good quality CAT5E
cables because I too discovered the old ones weren't as as good as I
thought. Much better connection now.

> In article <1XqYd.7056$N15.1927@okepread06>, "Thomas" <tgs@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Don't know if this is the place for this question But I have a A8v
>> Deluxe
>> MB and loaded win xp pro one the hardrive .But I can not get on the net
>> with my network connections It tell me no or limited connection and I
>> tried connection to modem with Ethernet card and usb and get same thing
>> will not receive any packets.
>> Does anyone know how to solve this
>> Thanks
>> Thomas
>
> Set up the Marvell Virtual Cable tester. I was surprised to
> find on my GbE interface, that my Ethernet cable was bad.
> Repeated insertion and removal of the cable, into the RJ45
> connector, cleaned the gunk off the Asus connector pins.
>
> The beauty of GbE chips, is they use all four pairs on the
> Ethernet cable. GbE chips also support MDI/MDIX. What that
> means, is you can connect from your computer, to a WAN or
> LAN port on another device, and the GbE PHY on your computer
> is smart enough to pick the right two pairs from a 10/100BT
> interface by itself. In the old days, you might need a
> null modem (rolled) ethernet cable to make such a connection.
> GbE chips are truly flexible that way. It also means you
> can connect a GbE computer to a 10/100BT computer, using
> an ordinary Ethernet cable.
>
> Give the VCT a try, and see if it reports the right number
> of wire pairs are operational. Four pairs are needed for
> a connection to a gigabit device. Two pairs are needed for
> 10/100BT.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

ashley

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Try installing SP2 then reinstall the NIC driver.

Quoth The Raven "Nero"<nero@rome.it> in
4232a70f$0$32615$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk
> "tried connection to modem with Ethernet card and usb and get same
> thing " There is NO way that you would get the "limited
> connection"message/problem with a USB modem as that problem is when
> the pc cannot get the right IP address and only happens with
> NIC'S/Lan cards .

might be that this board has a gigabit LAN connecting to a 100Mb connection

--
Time may be a great healer, but it's also a lousy beautician.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me