Question Abnormal TMPIN4 Temperatures While Gaming

Jun 25, 2022
I just built my first gaming pc by myself (Always had help before) and I'm concerned about some temperatures.

TMPIN4 (part of motherboard) reaches up to 110C while gaming, but only a few games. (Assassin's Creed Franchise)
This temperature spike does not happen with other games like Elden Ring.
I can even use photoshop and render a video at the same time or do game design in Unreal Engine 5 and TMPIN4 stays below 80C.

Btw, It's only TMPIN4 that does this, all other temperatures seem okay.

Could this be faulty sensor, could it be an issue with my motherboard? Is it dangerous? Hoping somebody knows.
I've been looking around online but all I find is situations where TMPIN4 or 5 or something is constantly at high temperatures. (80C+)
For me, it usually is at temps 42C-60C but drastically spikes while gaming but only a few games.

EDIT: Tested Assassin's Creed Odyssey, same thing as with Origins. (Still doesn't happen with Elden Ring though)

Here's my pc specs in case that helps in identifying the problem:
MSI GeForce GTX 3060 Z TRIO (12GB)
Intel I9-11900K (LGA1200)
Gigabyte B560M DS3H V2 (LGA1200)
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz 64GB
NZXT Kraken X53 (CPU Cooler)

I'm considering a different motherboard that actually has some heatsinks.
Thanks for taking your time reading this.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
what temp is it normally on?

You might find HWINFO more accurate and might even know what sensor is - //forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-use-hwinfo-to-track-sensor-values-on-ryzen.3693704/ (I know you have intel, tips still apply for most part)

its possible its the CPU Package temp which is a sensor in the socket of the motherboard- https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/tmpin4-high-temperature.3635535/
if intel anything like AMD, the package temps about 10c warmer than core temps. I can't tell in yours as difficult to know what rest of sensors are.

110c is a little warm. I don't know if heatsinks on vrm would help (it might)

Jun 25, 2022
Usually the temp for TMPIN4 is around 45-50 when idle and around 50-60c when using photoshop, rendering videos or doing game dev stuff.
When gaming it can spike up to 80c but usually doesn't go above that. (Exception being Assassin's Creed)

HWMonitor calls it TMPIN4
HWINFO calls its VRM MOS
I checked yesterday while gaming and found that VRM MOS is the only thing in HWINFO that had the same temp as TMPIN4 so pretty sure that's the one.
Temps not so high now since I haven't been gaming, but I highlighted in red.

As for CPU, the package temps can reach upto 83c but individual cores haven't gone up to that.

HWMonitor calls it TMPIN4
HWINFO calls its VRM MOS
80C isn't really bad but 110C is right at the limit where it likely to start throttling the CPU.

A problem you have is you're using an AIO cooler on the CPU. That leaves no fan to stir up the air in the area of the VRM. The case exhaust fans above and beside the VRM doesn't do it and actually may make it worse since they tend to create linear flow paths leaving the FET's in a dead air zone. A vertical tower cooler with a fan on the exhaust side is great to do that since it's air is very turbulent and mixes it up in that zone nicely.

But with your AIO the cheap/easy solution is locating a fan to blow directly on the VRM FET's. Doesn't have to be big, doesn't have to be fast and loud, just stir the air up. Try to orient it (zip tied to the exhaust fans maybe?) so as not to use hot air from the GPU to do it with though.

Or, get a motherboard with large heatsinks on the FET's. It will cost more...but makes a really nice weekend project swapping it out.

Colif

Win 11 Master
VRM MOS MAx - It seems the max it can run is either 120 or 125c so its hot but not excessive.

what case/cooling do you have? It might just need some airflow to keep it cool during gaming. One downside to AIO is no air escapes it to cool components around it.

drea was reading my mind... scary

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022
80C isn't really bad but 110C is right at the limit where it likely to start throttling the CPU.

A problem you have is you're using an AIO cooler on the CPU. That leaves no fan to stir up the air in the area of the VRM. The case exhaust fans above and beside the VRM doesn't do it and actually may make it worse since they tend to create linear flow paths leaving the FET's in a dead air zone. A vertical tower cooler with a fan on the exhaust side is great to do that since it's air is very turbulent and mixes it up in that zone nicely.

But with your AIO the cheap/easy solution is locating a fan to blow directly on the VRM FET's. Doesn't have to be big, doesn't have to be fast and loud, just stir the air up. Try to orient it (zip tied to the exhaust fans maybe?) so as not to use hot air from the GPU to do it with though.

Or, get a motherboard with large heatsinks on the FET's. It will cost more...but makes a really nice weekend project swapping it out.

I just checked my pc and apparently I only have 1 front fan and it's basically blowing at my GPU, I can fit a total of 3 fans in the front of the case so perhaps that'll help.
I honestly thought I had 2 fans there, I'll be able to get fans tomorrow as it's Sunday now and literally every store is closed. (Don't have spare fans laying around either)
Having a zone of dead air is something I didn't consider but it makes sense that it'd happen.

But also as you said, a motherboard with large heatsinks on the FET's is something I've already considered but probably have to wait a bit for that.

Jun 25, 2022
VRM MOS MAx - It seems the max it can run is either 120 or 125c so its hot but not excessive.

what case/cooling do you have? It might just need some airflow to keep it cool during gaming. One downside to AIO is no air escapes it to cool components around it.

drea was reading my mind... scary
The case I got is Corsair 4000D Airflow and just the stock fans that came with it, the AIO is the only other cooling in there.

3 intake fans would probably create enough cool air in PC to fix it. 2 would probably be enough but if you can fit and run 3, I would do it.
Honestly thought I had 2 but nope, turns out there's just 1 so I'll add 2 more since that fits in the front.
I'll be able to do that and test it tomorrow, then we'll know.

Jun 25, 2022
AIO mounted on top of case, think I set it to exhaust but I can double check when installing new fans tomorrow.
I think I built everything so the front fan is intake, the back fan and AIO as exhaust.

Jun 25, 2022
oh, i misunderstood this to mean it was intake. No problem.
so you have negative pressure since you have 3 exhaust and 1 intake. Its almost what I have, I just have 1 more intake fan. 2 in, 3 out. Works fine for AIO but still helps if some air blows around other parts as well.
I could have worded that better though, haha.
I'm thinking 1 intake isn't enough, especially after what's been said here. It just makes sense really.
We'll know for sure once I add more, I'm also considering a new motherboard with heatsinks but also because I could use a few more USB ports haha.