[SOLVED] About GPU Fans

May 11, 2022
I recently noticed that my GPU fans were turning on and off during low load gaming because GPU reaches the min temps 60°C to make the fans spin, but then once it cold downs to 59°C, the fans stop, and goes like that, turning on and off going from 60°C to 59°C constantly, which is not annoying for me but makes me worry about those fans longevity since some people says that turning on and off them constantly will shorten the lifespan.
I've read that i can make a custom fan curve and use hysteresis to avoid that, but it doesn't work unless i set the fan curve to stepped, though some people says that setting the fans to run at a fixed speed instead of ramping will shorten the lifespan, though i barely found info about this.
Im also planning to leave the fans always on at 20% on idle, it will surely shorten the lifespan, but some people says it will not be enough to make a difference, and other people says it actually does. Which one is the best option for fans longevity?

Solution
Well, a bit of both. Running the fan means that the bearing will face that wear and tear, more opportunities for dust ingress, etc. Starting and stopping the fan are the worst parts of most bearings time. When the lubricant is flowing the least and the fan has the opportunity to stop on a surface, then when it has to get moving again, same issue. It is sitting on a surface and then has to start moving before the lubrication is spinning around.

Most GPUs tend to use magnetic bearing fans rather than low end sleeve bearing or fluid dynamic bearing. Best would be ball bearings, but they don't tend to make it into GPUs for size reasons.

But it doesn't really matter. Fans can be replaced. Either entire GPU coolers, water cooling, or simply...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, a bit of both. Running the fan means that the bearing will face that wear and tear, more opportunities for dust ingress, etc. Starting and stopping the fan are the worst parts of most bearings time. When the lubricant is flowing the least and the fan has the opportunity to stop on a surface, then when it has to get moving again, same issue. It is sitting on a surface and then has to start moving before the lubrication is spinning around.

Most GPUs tend to use magnetic bearing fans rather than low end sleeve bearing or fluid dynamic bearing. Best would be ball bearings, but they don't tend to make it into GPUs for size reasons.

But it doesn't really matter. Fans can be replaced. Either entire GPU coolers, water cooling, or simply replacement fans. Typically going to replace a GPU long before the fans fail.

Solution
The mean-time-between-failure rating for computer fans typically last 5-6 years of continuous operation. But that's a statistical thing, it could last for 10 years, it could last for 2.

Either way it doesn't matter, do what makes you sleep better at night. As mentioned, fans are replaceable, either directly or by some other means (I had one of these cooling a video card whose fan failed and it worked just fine)