Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Looking here and there, I've seen so many different answers so I am hoping to get at least all similar answers if not the same answer from you guys here. I've been wondering about GPU generations and architecture, and how different period noted safe temps higher or lower, sometimes saying "don't think about it until you see 95C" and some saying "it's already too hot at 75C", and that difference of 20C is making me VERY anxious.

For about a year and a half I've been underclocking my RX 590 in order to get more undervolt to get lower temp, always trying to stay at about 70C~72C. I've been running aggressive fan curve, making the PC loud. I've been playing with top case fan installed and taken off for temp comparison. And now after all that time I still see people around the internet saying 90C+ is not even dangerous... So I sent an email to AMD but got no answer (probably because they think it's a stupid question not worth answering) and then decided I'll ask here too:

-At which point is the GPU RX 590 considered overheating? What temperature is the highest "cool" temperature to run on the RX 590?

I have reset all underclocking I've done and "unleashed" the full power of the GPU but temps are at 78C~81C. At the moment I am enjoying the experience (about 6-7FPS in AAA ultra settings just by resetting wattman to default, with overclock even 10FPS), but please, let me know the answer to my question so that I know what best to do with my ASRock (NOT XFX) RX 590. Thank you! ♥

Solution
-As long as the clock stays the same (no throttling) the temps are not high, right?
Not necessarily true. Take Intel's cpus or the older Nvidia gpus, for example.
You could have them sitting 2C away from their thermal throttle limit for hours, and they'd still be running at full blast - doesn't make it ok to do that though.

If my clock is fixed at 1560 even at 80C, does that mean that because there is no throttling the temps are absolutely safe?
No.

Remove your chassis' front, side, and top panels, then test your gpu's thermals. Perhaps your cooling can be improved if your chassis is shown to be hindering airflow?
Assuming you're not comfortable with 80C peak temps?

All coolers - cpu and gpu - are affected by how...

Lutfij

Titan
The problem that has presented itself is the fact that pretty much all AMD GPU's run hot. You will need to mention the voltage that you're running on that GPU and the PSU that's powering the entire system. Occasionally you will power draw creeping up in certain scenarios and it's even happening with the RTX 3000 series of cards.

To add, the RX 590 to me seemed like an overclocked RX 580/RX480, regardless of what AMD say. This isn't a bad thread to go off of.

* Your alias, lol, even The Iceman (Räikkönen) would laugh hard!

Reactions: Raikko Kiminen
Hello!

I can only really go off my own experience of only having 4 GPU's in my lifetime.

Gtx 650
R9 270
Gtx 970
& Gtx 1080 (Switched to 1440p from 1080p)

Only the last 3 I saw high temps in certain scenarios such as a big game like Witcher 3 or Battlefield 1. I've never had a GPU force my system off from overheating.

I live in England and yes we have cold weather mainly and in our household we put the heating to around 19C in the evening. At this time my GPU is a cosy 65-70C while gaming which is the optimal temperature and I can't really hear the fans I have kind of become deaf to them now. When summer hits us like the heatwave we had this year my computer went up around 10C across the board and the fans ramped up a bit everything still ran normally.

I saw always sees my temps as:

CPU
30-40C Idle
50-60C non-Summer Gaming
60-65C Summer Gaming

GPU
40-50C Idle
60-70C Non-Summer Gaming
70-80C Summer Gaming

Unless you in a super hot country you shouldn't have issues.

Most components rollback at 95-100C and if they felt that isn't working that's when the PSU comes in and 'Clicks' off to stop your PC from frying itself alive.

Last edited:

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/207349/asrock-rx590-8192-181105
That there is a link to one of the vbios files for that gpu.
Looks like the max temp is 85C, so if you want to play it safe, below 80C should be good?
That's the one. Well then, I guess below 80C is still considered "cool"?
So let me ask this in another way:

-As long as the clock stays the same (no throttling) the temps are not high, right?

If my clock is fixed at 1560 even at 80C, does that mean that because there is no throttling the temps are absolutely safe?

Last edited:

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
The problem that has presented itself is the fact that pretty much all AMD GPU's run hot. You will need to mention the voltage that you're running on that GPU and the PSU that's powering the entire system. Occasionally you will power draw creeping up in certain scenarios and it's even happening with the RTX 3000 series of cards.

To add, the RX 590 to me seemed like an overclocked RX 580/RX480, regardless of what AMD say. This isn't a bad thread to go off of.

* Your alias, lol, even The Iceman (Räikkönen) would laugh hard!
Well, the PSU has 600W, running RX 590, R5 2600X, B450, 2x8GB 3200, 2xHDD, 1xSSD, 3x120mm case fans + CPU cooler.
GPU voltage is almost stock (slightly undervolted from 1150mV to 1110mV), though I've been underclocking the GPU to get lower volts drawing only 900mV to get 70C-72C because with 1110mV I get 77C-81C.

I got the RX 590 for the same reason I got the R5 2600 with "x" - because they are already factory overclocked variants (to say so) and I don't want to do those things myself and potentially effup something. BTW I've seen the thread you shared with red "This" link back when I got the GPU, that's why I've been undervolting BUT sadly had to do some underclocking as well.

I don't deny that I "may" be dumb for being scared about temps and overclocking and stuff, but I am not really ungrateful lil' spoiled kid who gets new stuff from daddy, I worked hard to earn money to make this PC, I love it and I want it to last, so if I can avoid damaging it with high temps or other little mistakes - that certainly helps me!

So let me ask this in another way:

P.S. BWOAH, Iceman for president!

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You could have them sitting 2C away from their thermal throttle limit for hours, and they'd still be running at full blast - doesn't make it ok to do that though.

No.

Remove your chassis' front, side, and top panels, then test your gpu's thermals. Perhaps your cooling can be improved if your chassis is shown to be hindering airflow?

All coolers - cpu and gpu - are affected by how well the chassis allows air to get in and out of it. By removing those 3 panels, you'll see to what degree that is.

Since most air cooled gpus dump their heat inside the chassis, you'll want top exhaust, not top intake.

Solution

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019

No.

All coolers - cpu and gpu - are affected by how well the chassis allows air to get in and out of it. By removing those 3 panels, you'll see to what degree that is.

Since most air cooled gpus dump their heat inside the chassis, you'll want top exhaust, not top intake.
My case airflow is flawless, running directly from the front (2 fans) to the back (1 fan) in a straight line, with CPU cooler (2 fans tower) in between, excluding graphics card fans that are blowing from the bottom to the top. I have tried the top fan as an exhaust but it didn't do any changes to GPU temp. I am comfortable with whatever is considered "cool" and if 78C is considered "cool" then perfect.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So you're using an open mesh chassis?

A single top exhaust usually doesn't do anything, especially with cpu air coolers. Typically needs 2 fans up there to see a difference, but then one fan 'in front of' the cpu air cooler tends to disrupt air going into it.

I am comfortable with whatever is considered "cool" and if 78C is considered "cool" then perfect.
(y)(y)