Hi,

I've posted before on this subject this is just a little different. I think.
I've got a workgroup and I
want to share some folders and files with some people, is there anyway to
restrict certain people
from accessing the shared folders and files and other people not? I have a
mixed workgroup as far as XP Home W2K, and 98.

Thanks Craig

Malke

Craig Pfaff wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've posted before on this subject this is just a little different. I
> think. I've got a workgroup and I
> want to share some folders and files with some people, is there anyway
> to restrict certain people
> from accessing the shared folders and files and other people not? I
> have a mixed workgroup as far as XP Home W2K, and 98.
>
> Thanks Craig

I think you will have a problem doing this since XP Home and Win98 don't
provide the kind of advanced permissions available in XP Pro and Win2k.
On a network with XP Pro and Win2k, you could just create a new group
and assign permitted users to it. Where are the folder and files
hosted? If they are hosted on XP or Win2k, you could simply not create
user accounts for the people who weren't supposed to have access.
However, if you are sharing other files/printers that won't work. If
this is an office, consider upgrading all machines to XP Pro and then
you can set up proper user groups with desired permissions. If this is
a home and you personally have things you would rather keep private,
you could simply not share those things at all.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers