[SOLVED] Accessing Nextcloud instance

Thomas_25

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2015
For a brief outlook on my home network config please refer below:

Primary Router (192.168.1.1)
----------Windows Client

----------Secondary Router (192.168.0.1)
--------------------------------------------------Nextcloud instance on Ubuntu (192.168.0.101)

I can access nextcloud when through my windows client when I connect to the secondary router .
But I cant access it through my primary router. I am a noob in networking but I know it has something to do with port forwarding.

Seeking assistance,
Thomas

Solution
This is extremely old. There are lots of youtube videos even though it is a trivial thing. Most modern routers have a ap mode which makes it even easier.

You will never get Dynamic DNS to work on a secondary router. It works on the router that gets the pubic IP address from the ISP and that is always the first router in the path.

Your other option it to convert your modem/router to a modem only, most have a bridge option. You would then place your other router after it and connect all the devices to that router. dynamic DNS would work in that configuration because it gets the public IP since a modem does...
Why do you have 2 routers in your house. If it is releated to wifi coverage run the second router as a AP so all the devices are on the same subnet.

You might get it to work with port forward rules on the secondary router but it depends on the application what ports. it is easier to just not have the second router messing things up to begin with.

Thomas_25

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2015
The thing is my primary router is from my ISP and comes with an intergrated modem , and the firmware on it is pretty dated ( with no means to upgrade it) . The firmware has no option for a dynamic DNS.
Do you have any links on how to setup the secondary router as an AP such that they are on the same subnet?
Why do you have 2 routers in your house. If it is releated to wifi coverage run the second router as a AP so all the devices are on the same subnet.

You might get it to work with port forward rules on the secondary router but it depends on the application what ports. it is easier to just not have the second router messing things up to begin with.

This is extremely old. There are lots of youtube videos even though it is a trivial thing. Most modern routers have a ap mode which makes it even easier.

You will never get Dynamic DNS to work on a secondary router. It works on the router that gets the pubic IP address from the ISP and that is always the first router in the path.

Your other option it to convert your modem/router to a modem only, most have a bridge option. You would then place your other router after it and connect all the devices to that router. dynamic DNS would work in that configuration because it gets the public IP since a modem does get IP addresses.

Reactions: Thomas_25
Solution