Accidentally ordered the wrong ASUS STRIX 980 Ti

Jozsef tokai

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Hello!

So the title says it all. I've ordered the non OC version of the ASUS STRIX 980 Ti, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121979, and I want to know if I should return it for the OC version or keep it and OC it myself? Is there any disadvantages not having the OC version? Is it hard to OC it by myself? Maybe there's someone with the same card and can help me OC it?

I may be overreacting it, but I'm really frustrated for doing this mistake. I'm afraid I might not be able to achieve what the OC version is able to do.

P.S.: I can't cancel the order. I realized what I did when they sent me the tracking number.

EDIT: Okay. I have reached the cards OC limit without messing with voltage within a week. 68.1% ASIC. ( lame )

nje.png

Solution
Well, you can return it, but, what are you running that is going to require the extra few FPS? Is it a bragging rights thing?

You can't know what will or will not achieve a particular overclock, it's called the silicone lottery for a good reason. The factory OC'd model will retain its warranty. If you overclock it yourself (Assuming you adjust voltages, which is the only way to get a decent OC) then you might get to the same (or higher) overclock. Remember, it is a lottery, not a guarantee.

OCing yourself voids the warranty (If you touch voltages). Go too far (because you decide not to read the guide, guides are VERY handy if you are new) and you can brick your card (That is worst case scenario, and not necessarily likely to happen...

Robert Pankiw

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Well, you can return it, but, what are you running that is going to require the extra few FPS? Is it a bragging rights thing?

You can't know what will or will not achieve a particular overclock, it's called the silicone lottery for a good reason. The factory OC'd model will retain its warranty. If you overclock it yourself (Assuming you adjust voltages, which is the only way to get a decent OC) then you might get to the same (or higher) overclock. Remember, it is a lottery, not a guarantee.

OCing yourself voids the warranty (If you touch voltages). Go too far (because you decide not to read the guide, guides are VERY handy if you are new) and you can brick your card (That is worst case scenario, and not necessarily likely to happen, but I don't hide details from people. Read a decent guide carefully and bricking is nearly impossible.)

My point is, what software are you running?

Sorry if my writing is all over the place, things are happening here, so to speak.

Solution

Jozsef tokai

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

I just want to achieve at least the same number as the OC edition has, but it would be nice to have it around 1450 MHz.

I'm no OC master. I know the basics, but I'm really worried my experience with these beautiful cards will be destroyed because of ordering the non OC version. Really. Should I even worry about it? Can it do the same as the other edition?

EDIT: I don't want to touch voltages and I'd be using MSI Afterburner to OC the card.

PTOWN GAMER

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

the non OC versions can be overclocked.
really easy

Robert Pankiw

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I will defer to the other people here, since I appear to be in be the minority.
Just remember, there are no guarantees when it comes to overclocking. It's very likely that you can get a great OC, but it isn't a promise. Keep your expectations reasonable and you'll love the 980ti, regardless of which version it is. Have fun gaming!