Accidently deleted system raid

spudpucker

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
I have an Asrock AliveNF7G-FullHD rev 3 motherboard. I had a striped raid 0 on two 750gb hd's. I added two 1.5T and could not recognize them in xp because the bios was set to "raid" mode. I tried to make 2 one drive raids and that failed too. In the process of deleting those raids, I accidentally deleted the main system drive raid. The bios utility has no way to rebuild the array. It only asks me if I want to make a new raid and delete the old data. the drives have not been touched yet. The drives work fine and the data on them is still intact. I am trying to find a way to either dump the data on another single disk (one of the 1.5T's) and make that disk bootable or to rebuild the array and make that bootable. I have unpluged them and installed a version of winxp on one of the 1.5T's hoping to find software that will either recover the array intact or to pull the data off of it. I know I'm a dummy for using raid 0, but the 1.5T's were intended to replace the raid 0 array to a single disk and to mirror it. Asrock of course has no information either on their website or on the install disk, nor has google been a help, and this is probably my last Asrock mobo ever (my Asus's would have just rebuilt the array but they are dead). I'd like to see if there are any free fixes before I shell out 100 for a raid recovery program. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

TestDisk Download and install on a good system, preferably with enough free space to copy all your files and folders. Please read the wiki and the step-by-step example first.
You may only need to repair the disk partition and the MBR, which will restore your HDDs to RAID. Then you can re-install them and the BIOS will see the RAID volume. I had some problems like you 2 weeks ago; TestDisk saved my data and the RAID volume.

spudpucker

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
can you tell me how, testdisk only looks at one disk at a time. I have used a program called ReclaiMe raid recovery (free) to write an image file of the raid array to one of my empty 1.5T's. can I make this bootable? (actually it is making that image file as I type). this would accomplish what I was trying to do anyway.

spudpucker

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

can you tell me how, testdisk only looks at one disk at a time. I have used a program called ReclaiMe raid recovery (free) to write an image file of the raid array to one of my empty 1.5T's. can I make this bootable? (actually it is making that image file as I type). this would accomplish what I was trying to do anyway.
Revove from the list of quoted messages Add to the list of quoted messages Quick edit Edit this message

TestDisk will find and recover the files, the partition table, and the MBR for each HDD or primary partition - then you reinstall the HDDs to the original system. The RAID volume will show in the BIOS and the system will boot in the same manner it did before. Well, mine did, and TestDisk produced results much faster then the trial/crippled programs I tried.

If you found a program that is doing that for free, and you're more comfortable with it, then by all means use it. I stumbled across TestDisk in my own search for freeware that would recover my RAID volume. I found many that claimed they could recover, and even allowed limited file recovery, but required payment ($69.95 was one amount) for full restoration.

spudpucker

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
I have spent the week making a .img file of the raid 0 array using ReclaiMe free raid recovery software. I can access the raid to get data using ReclaiMe software but I want to fix the original raid.
TestDisk sees one of the partitions but not the other one on the second raid disk. I'm still working on the problem though.

the disks are fine. I just deleted the raid in the bios by mistake and I have a raid xml file for a program to use to fix it.

I just need step by step directions on how to recover this raid.

spudpucker

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
to update, I've reloaded my legal windows xp on the 1.5T drive. I still have the image file of the raid 0 made with ReclaiMe and I need to access my data now and move it to new xp drive, cheaply if possible