Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy555

Reputable
Aug 8, 2018
I have an ACER AP5C with win98.

Cannot find the battery, none. Won't boot, says battery low, hit F1 to resume to bios. I measured Jumper 15, .01 volts. Jumper 13 measures 5.05 volts.

Any ideas what is wrong? Is there any way I can transfer my 2003 Quick Books and data from quantum ex HD win 98 to Windows 7 computer?

I tried connecting my Quantum ex to win 7 computer, set the quantum to "slave (jumper parking position)" and "Cable select for Master/slave", but win 7 computer would not even start win 7.

Any help and expertise is welcome.

sammy 555

sammy555

Reputable
Aug 8, 2018
Yes, the cmos batter is low. Yep, that is the battery I cannot find.

Jumper 13 is bios voltage, 5.05 setting. That appears normal. (That jumper can be set for 5 or 12 volts).

Jumper 15 is cmos memory normal operation.

When I push the F1 key, and into bios, the two HDs are "not installed". I have utility IDE Setup that gives the HD information and "yes" will install the HDs. When I reboot the computer again, the HDs are not installed again.

I also noticed that the day is off by one the next day, so evidently the clock is not working.

Neither jumper has been moved. Computer worked fine last time I used it, earlier this year.

Thanks for posting and help.

sammy555

Ah....that sounds like a clock chip.
The picture I have is so small, it is very difficult to make things out.
Although, I don't see an obvious battery.
....but it's got to be on there.....OR.....I have seen it where the battery is connected to the MB with wires and basically plugs in with a connector.....but I don't see that either....but as I said my picture is SMALL.

sammy555

Reputable
Aug 8, 2018
You are correct, there is no lithium battery nor a plug in battery on wires. Another site seems to indicate there is no battery. Plus Plug jumper 13, bios voltage is 5 volts, which seems correct.

Since the day did not advance, from yesterday, I am wondering if the Dallas real time chip is broken?

cheers

sammy555

Reputable
Aug 8, 2018
Good question.

With the power off, the bios voltage drops to zero. But I rebooted with the power on and the bios still did not work with 5 volts present.

I just ordered an adapter for HD (win98) to windows 7 so I can obtain the files I need. But I would still like to get the computer running again.

cheers

sammy555

Reputable
Aug 8, 2018
I just found the battery, inside a chip. I got a new chip and installed, but must have fouled up as computer does not boot anymore.
Bought another used computer, this time with exposed battery that I can replace.

cheers and thanks.

sam555

Status
Not open for further replies.