Acer Finally Unveils Aspire S3 Ultrabook

Status
Not open for further replies.

njoy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]nadavp3[/nom]gpu?[/citation]
since the whole thing being pushed by Intel, what other GPU might there be? HD2000 i guess...

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
don't expect to game guys. haha. looks good though. I am somewhat surprised that a productivity laptop has 2 bays (good thing). Though I do wonder where they could have moved the warmer components so you don't feel the heat considering it's .5" thick. Hopefully it won't burn your leg off like some of my friends' Mac Books do

sundaymarch1056

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
i don't want a 0.5 inch thick laptop. i want a good all-rounder, a 14" i5 with 16 hours web surfing battery life. i don't care if the battery bulges out. and "Ultrabook" is a ridiculous name. it's a thin notebook!

jdwii

Splendid
I'm already sick of the word Ultrabook.

How is this anything new who really cares about it size.

1. its a weaker laptop then what can be bought today for 1000$
2 people who are looking for small and portable are going to buy a tablet not this. Just a smaller laptop thats not worth the money. And you can still get a cheaper laptop then this and still have the same or better power consumption then this.
+1 For Acer
-1 for Intel(NOT A NEW CONCEPT)

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]njoy[/nom]is it THAT difficult to make a thin laptop that looks original?[/citation]

yes it is. The reason why the thin laptops look rather uncreative is because they are using standard components that can be had cheaply.

If a company was to use an original design that is unique, they would have to have custom components created which will increase cost as they will be the only company ordering the parts. But if you go with more standardized components that are being used by 50 other companies, then the production volume of those components will so high that the cost will be far lower.

The insane price tag is due to these companies wanting to make huge profits from early adopters.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]a USB 3 port would come in handy[/citation]

It would, they're already over $1000 mark as it is.

[citation][nom]drakefyre[/nom]Am I just blind, or does it not say how much RAM it has?[/citation]

Relax, they haven't :)

[citation][nom]njoy[/nom]since the whole thing being pushed by Intel, what other GPU might there be? HD2000 i guess...[/citation]

It'll be HD 3000 and greater (once Ivy comes out). I don't think mobile Intel APUs have HD 2000 on them, they've saved that junk for desktop users. But honestly, it's not a gaming laptop, it's for 2D work. HD 3000 is more than enough IMO (ok, maybe not pro vid editing). People tend to forget that laptops with CPU graphics did 2D fine too, though i think the older ones struggled with HD vids.

[citation][nom]sundaymarch1056[/nom]i don't want a 0.5 inch thick laptop. i want a good all-rounder, a 14" i5 with 16 hours web surfing battery life. i don't care if the battery bulges out. and "Ultrabook" is a ridiculous name. it's a thin notebook![/citation]

yeah i wished they'd drop the name ultrabook, but well, it's marketing really. Instead of getting people to say "thin notebook sponsored by intel" they say ultrabook.
I'd like a powerful ultra-portable though, much easier to carry around. Lack of an HDD, seperate gpu and a low-power APU will make these things run much cooler too. Low power means longer battery life. But again, i already have a desktop, so the only reason i'd want a notebook is work.

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]799~1199 Euro translates to $1100~$1650CAD so this is going to be hella expensive.[/citation]

Electronics get more expensive when they're imported to India, so i'm really freaking out on the prices here (GTX580=$650 here!). Having said that, acer is well established here so maybe they'll hold the lid on the pricing...though honestly i'm not even planning to buy right now so can't care too much :D

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]It would, they're already over $1000 mark as it is.Relax, they haven't It'll be HD 3000 and greater (once Ivy comes out). I don't think mobile Intel APUs have HD 2000 on them, they've saved that junk for desktop users. But honestly, it's not a gaming laptop, it's for 2D work. HD 3000 is more than enough IMO (ok, maybe not pro vid editing). People tend to forget that laptops with CPU graphics did 2D fine too, though i think the older ones struggled with HD vids.yeah i wished they'd drop the name ultrabook, but well, it's marketing really. Instead of getting people to say "thin notebook sponsored by intel" they say ultrabook. I'd like a powerful ultra-portable though, much easier to carry around. Lack of an HDD, seperate gpu and a low-power APU will make these things run much cooler too. Low power means longer battery life. But again, i already have a desktop, so the only reason i'd want a notebook is work.Electronics get more expensive when they're imported to India, so i'm really freaking out on the prices here (GTX580=$650 here!). Having said that, acer is well established here so maybe they'll hold the lid on the pricing...though honestly i'm not even planning to buy right now so can't care too much[/citation]
Since when Intel has stated that his CPU'S ARE APU'S ? Unbelievable what people says...

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]799~1199 Euro translates to $1100~$1650CAD so this is going to be hella expensive.[/citation]
Does the cheapest macbook air 11" in Canada costs $1334 CAD? No it doesn't, it costs 999$ but using your line of reasoning it should costs $1334 CAD because the macbook air in Italy and most of Europe costs 949€. The top of the line macbook air 13" in Europe costs 1499€ which equates to $2107 CAD yet in Canada the price is $1599 CAD. Please stop comparing prices from different countries.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]It would, they're already over $1000 mark as it is.[/citation]
Acer as yet to release the pricing in any country that uses Dollar as currency. So I fail to see how you can say they're over the 1000$ mark.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]_Pez_[/nom]Since when Intel has stated that his CPU'S ARE APU'S ? Unbelievable what people says...[/citation]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_processing_unit

[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Acer as yet to release the pricing in any country that uses Dollar as currency. So I fail to see how you can say they're over the 1000$ mark.[/citation]

Was just converting directly, like eddieroolz was doing, and my country will have Europe-like pricing too. Bringing it under the $1000 mark globally is what they should be aiming at. Don't say stuff like Intel is targeting the US markets only, it doesn't make sense.

G

This is what I like about PC computers vs Apple. Choices. You can get a large capacity hard drive instead of a SSD drive. I bet you can even upgrade the SSD drive if you want instead of Apples special SSD connections. I have a 2010 Macbook Air and believe me even the 256GB can seem pretty small after a while. I would gladly trade a SSD for a 500 GB fast hard drive any day. After all the storage drive is just about loading speed of programs anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.