Acer Launches a Pair Of 3D LCDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
HN274H does has 2 DVI and 3 HDMI 1.4a ports that means it does support both 3D vision (2 DVI) and PS3/3DTV cable (HDMI 1.4a).
However, HS244HQ only has 1 DVI (and 2 HDMI 1.4a) that means HS244HQ does not support 3D Vision for 3D game play.
HS244HQ is up for sale in newegg for $439.99 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009301&Tpk=hs244hq)

Anybody interested in the full review of HN274H and its 3D compability with 3D vision, AMD GPU (through HDMI), and Blu-ray 3D playback can check out this review:

http://3dvision-blog.com/review-of-the-27-acer-hn274h-3d-vision-ready-lcd-monitor/

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
wow you guys call yourself gamers. so you dislike the 3d effect, that's fine. i've heard a lot of great things about 3d on pc gaming, i would love to try it. BUT do you know what i've heard even BETTER things about? THE 120HZ REFRESH RATE. Seriously, we need more of these "3d" monitors so they can come down in price cause quite frankly, video cards are super mega powerful these days, running games upward 150fps. if my video card can take advantage of a 120hz, I WILL TAKE IT.

G

@ Pharge. HS244HQbmii uses Dual Link DVI (It's a single cable w/ more pins, similar to how the HN274H works.) I own both products.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]wow you guys call yourself gamers. so you dislike the 3d effect, that's fine. i've heard a lot of great things about 3d on pc gaming, i would love to try it. BUT do you know what i've heard even BETTER things about? THE 120HZ REFRESH RATE. Seriously, we need more of these "3d" monitors so they can come down in price cause quite frankly, video cards are super mega powerful these days, running games upward 150fps. if my video card can take advantage of a 120hz, I WILL TAKE IT.[/citation]
Agreed, I'm personally more interested in the 120Hz than the 3D.
Give me 30", 120Hz, 2560x1600, LED backlit IPS panel, DVI/HDMI/DP/VGA connectivity, 4mm or smaller bezel on all sides, solid metal construction (I can handle heavy, but I can't handle fragile) and a powered USB hub in the base (not the bezel).
So, who gets my money for that monitor?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]too bad your eyes and brain can't.[/citation]

I notice the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz, My brother notices it, My dad does but my mum doesn't.

It really depends on the person and the type of screen, I have 2 desktops in my room, one uses 60HZ while the other is a Samsung monitor @ 120Hz and the difference is:

Much more fluid gameplay (In any game that can reach 120fps), Smoother animations (Works for source engine through blending) and for the samsung monitor faster response times.

The 3D part of any monitor is better suited to Movies rather than games, With most games you just turn off the 3D effect so you can take off the damn glasses, but when watching 3D movies it somehow feels more fun.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Advantage of playing at 120Hz refresh set for the monitor is huge. Less lag on the screen when moving horizontally. I can't even imagine myself playing on 60Hz screen again!

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]HN274H does has 2 DVI and 3 HDMI 1.4a ports that means it does support both 3D vision (2 DVI) and PS3/3DTV cable (HDMI 1.4a).However, HS244HQ only has 1 DVI (and 2 HDMI 1.4a) that means HS244HQ does not support 3D Vision for 3D game play.HS244HQ is up for sale in newegg for $439.99 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009301&Tpk=hs244hq)Anybody interested in the full review of HN274H and its 3D compability with 3D vision, AMD GPU (through HDMI), and Blu-ray 3D playback can check out this review:http://3dvision-blog.com/review-of [...] d-monitor/[/citation]
To my knowledge no 3d vision monitor uses two dvi's for the effect to work. They do need to have a dual-link dvi.

cphorn15

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
The reason the monitor is 120Hz in the first place is for the 3D so that each eye can effectively see 60 fps since it utilizes active shutter technology aka the $150 glasses and not the $1 ones. Don't exactly know why nVidia mandated that, but there it is.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]SAAIELLO[/nom]Until 3d is able to be seen without the glasses it will never be more then just a novelty.[/citation]

Or until its actually 3d and not a optical illusion of 3d.

[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]too bad your eyes and brain can't.[/citation]

Are you brain dead? i had a 120hrz tv it was freaking amazing over 60hrz tv's

[citation][nom]cphorn15[/nom]The reason the monitor is 120Hz in the first place is for the 3D so that each eye can effectively see 60 fps since it utilizes active shutter technology aka the $150 glasses and not the $1 ones. Don't exactly know why nVidia mandated that, but there it is.[/citation]

its 120hrz because it looks way better.

[citation][nom]PudgyChicken[/nom]... Why? 3D is just a silly fad. Not to mention a complete waste of money.[/citation]

agreed.

Transsive

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Oh my gods! 100 million to 1, like staring into the sun.

So what's the panel? I'd bet it's TN... with a real 1000:1 real contrast ratio... if we're lucky, sigh.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]PudgyChicken[/nom]... Why? 3D is just a silly fad. Not to mention a complete waste of money.[/citation]
I think i'll wait till 3D without glasses comes along, seeing as Toshiba are already doing it we can't be far away full scale production on TVs and monitors.

G

I just received my 27" HN274H. It's freakin awesome. The 3D effect is crazy cool. For those who say it's a fad, 3D has been around in some form or another for 60 years. Sure, it's not for everybody, but I love it.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Zychotic[/nom]I just received my 27" HN274H. It's freakin awesome. The 3D effect is crazy cool. For those who say it's a fad, 3D has been around in some form or another for 60 years. Sure, it's not for everybody, but I love it.[/citation]
Agreed, 3D effects may be cool but in the comfort of my own home I don't want to look like Charlie Sheen in Major League with those stupid glasses.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]cphorn15[/nom]The reason the monitor is 120Hz in the first place is for the 3D so that each eye can effectively see 60 fps since it utilizes active shutter technology aka the $150 glasses and not the $1 ones. Don't exactly know why nVidia mandated that, but there it is.[/citation]

You sir are 100% incorrect. 120Hz TV's came out before the 3d stuff started getting popular. 120Hz makes a huge impact to how we see the picture. Try watching a Movie like Matrix or Batman with that feature enabled and you will want to turn it off because it makes everything look fake. They call it the "Soap Opera" effect (Look it up) because it make things that are shot at 24fps look like 60fps. Smooths out the motion and also seems to make the imagery look allot more realistic so much so you can see in movies with allot of special effects what was really and what was not.

The purpose for it on computer monitors though are really because it makes 3d experience better on that format but to say that 120/240 and the like are just for gaming is not true at all.

Now, when you have it enabled for gaming on the TV it almost makes the game pop out of the screen all by itself and then when you use 3d on top of that the effect works very well with minimal eyestrain.

I also why these monitors are typically TN monitors instead of IPS. IPS has more latency, you are not going to find a affordable 2-5ms IPS monitor. They are all over 10ms. It is also the reason why everything is 1080p as apposed to higher resolution that everyone wants. It is based on the same tech they have in the TV's which are now above 240hz. My guess is that for gaming, 3d and 120Hz probably looks fantastic but for other tasks maybe not so much. One day they will have higher resolutions at 120hz but that is going to take some time to work out and the value will probably have to be beyond just gaming on your computer.

Another thing 120hz is great for is animated movies or CG movies as well as live events. The level of detail and the smoothness of the video really makes it pop out the screen.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]Seriously, we need more of these "3d" monitors so they can come down in price cause quite frankly, video cards are super mega powerful these days, running games upward 150fps. if my video card can take advantage of a 120hz, I WILL TAKE IT.[/citation]

It's not that the cards are super mega powerful, the games are made for cards made like 6 years ago, so yeah, our being 6 generations ahead will have its advantages, until you play pc only games, and your fps plummets :)

[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]Give me 30", 120Hz, 2560x1600, LED backlit IPS panel, DVI/HDMI/DP/VGA connectivity, 4mm or smaller bezel on all sides, solid metal construction (I can handle heavy, but I can't handle fragile) and a powered USB hub in the base (not the bezel).So, who gets my money for that monitor?[/citation]

OMG epic dream screen! +1
But I wouldn't mind if it was 2" thick instead if it had full RBG LED backlighting with local dimming and SOMEHOW cost less than 2k :)

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
120hz input

Also though, it's great to know that these are coming out in the states. They were only in Europe for ages. I may be picking one up.

[citation]Agreed, I'm personally more interested in the 120Hz than the 3D.Give me 30", 120Hz, 2560x1600, LED backlit IPS panel, DVI/HDMI/DP/VGA connectivity, 4mm or smaller bezel on all sides, solid metal construction (I can handle heavy, but I can't handle fragile) and a powered USB hub in the base (not the bezel).So, who gets my money for that monitor?[/citation]

Are you willing to spend 2k on a monitor? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.