Acer Says Tablet Fever is Already Cooling Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Well... I hope acer doesn't decide to stop producing tablets because of this. The IconiaTab is one of the better designed tablets on the market that I've found.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]wcnighthawk[/nom]No way!! They're supposed to replace desktops lololololololololololololWell, so much for that.[/citation]

It's always nice to see the "media agenda machine" defeated by reality!

The PC is popular because nothing else can even come close to replacing it, and it is a great value and easily upgraded. The tablet is none of those things and never will be for the foreseeable future.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
junior noob - tablet
senior noob - netbook
entry level/normal user - notebook
normal/high end user - desktop
professional - workstation
enterprise/corporation - server
science/military - super computer

they all got their place , desktop won't be replace :)

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]junior noob - tabletsenior noob - netbookentry level/normal user - notebooknormal/high end user - desktopprofessional - workstationenterprise/corporation - serverscience/military - super computer they all got their place , desktop won't be replace[/citation]

iDiot - Ap...

:) can't help it...

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
junior noob - tablet
senior noob - netbook
entry level/normal user - notebook
normal/high end user - desktop
professional - workstation
enterprise/corporation - server
science/military - super computer

they all got their place , desktop won't be replace :)
:lol:

Never really liked tablets or netbooks... but a niche exists for a reason. I just don't get it I guess. Never really understood the appeal of watching movies on such a small screen. Why've we been spending so many years making bigger and bigger monitors and TVs just to get a miniature screen? I honestly know someone who spends more time sitting in their house looking at their little tablet screen watching movies than the 52" in thier living room.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I have to agree with the post about filling a product niche. Nothing wrong with that at all. Though, consumers are going to flock to ultrabooks, then THAT will cool down after a while, and eventually things will come around full circle the the almighty PC.

But that's just me.

They just can't unload their own Android tablets because they didn't have much marketing and they have trouble playing 1080p and many 720p videos, unlike the ASUS transformer which goes for the same price and has the same specs (except for that host USB the Acer tablet has while you need to buy the dock for the ASUS if you want that).

[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]junior noob - tabletsenior noob - netbookentry level/normal user - notebooknormal/high end user - desktopprofessional - workstationenterprise/corporation - serverscience/military - super computer they all got their place , desktop won't be replace[/citation]

that pretty much sums it up. but in a few years time i just see people buying desktops just to be a media server and use a laptop for everything else. and to be clear i am talking about the mainstream consumers. gamers are still going to buy desktop over laptops just because theres more upgradeable options with them

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]Never really liked tablets or netbooks... but a niche exists for a reason. I just don't get it I guess. Never really understood the appeal of watching movies on such a small screen. Why've we been spending so many years making bigger and bigger monitors and TVs just to get a miniature screen? I honestly know someone who spends more time sitting in their house looking at their little tablet screen watching movies than the 52" in thier living room.[/citation]

It has to do with privacy and portability. There are those of us who don't need any processing power, outside of the ability to do word processing, and some 'break time' entertainment. Some of us need battery life, not raw power and size. Sometimes you need a scalpel, not a sledgehammer...

G

tablet market is cooling because all the brainwashed apple drones are waiting for the ipad3

[citation][nom]brickman[/nom]So the HP touchpad sell off was the tablet fever throwing up?[/citation]

No, all the HP tablet fire sale showed is how much people (excluding apple sheep) think tablets are worth. i bet most people who bought them would never pay 400-500 bucks for a tablet (again excluding apple sheep who will no doubt pay over $1000.00 for an ipad)

[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]It has to do with privacy and portability. There are those of us who don't need any processing power, outside of the ability to do word processing, and some 'break time' entertainment. Some of us need battery life, not raw power and size. Sometimes you need a scalpel, not a sledgehammer...[/citation]
I love my sledgehammer :)

I have a netbook, and it is a great accessory to my desktop. It allows me to have a few productive tricks up my sleeve when I am out and about. I can edit documents, browse the web, play a few little games, record audio, etc. But it cannot do anything major like editing audio/video, watching HD anything, and it is far too small to do any serious multi-tasking.
I looked into a tablet to replace it, but then realized the only good ones are in the $500+ dollar range (compare to the $280 netbook), gets less battery life, cannot handle any normal x86 programs, and all that really works well on it are plants vs zombies and angry birds... while fun, they are not worth sinking $500+ into a device that plays 2 games, and some internet access.

What I really want is a phone sized device that houses my user profile, software, and some documents which can take over whatever device I plug into. On the go it would be a smart phone, then when I come home I would plug it into my TV to watch movies, when I go to work I plug it into my PC and am able to take advantage of that hardware, when at church have it drive the multimedia for the projector, when working on a vieo project have it take over the server/editor in the basement. One personal device that has my interface on several devices. May use cloud tech for file storage, but all of my personal information stays local. Give me that machine and I will go into debt for it.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Acer has claimed so many bogus predictions. They are calling the tablet dead already? Based on ultrabooks which havent even been released yet and windows 8which hasnt either.

Status
Not open for further replies.