Acer Says Tablet Fever is Already Cooling Down

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
a powerful desktop for games and heavy work; a laptop for light games, normal work and portability; and a tablet or smartphone for mobility. those are what i need. anything in between, like netbook and ultrabook, only if i get a fat bonus from my boss.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]a powerful desktop for games and heavy work; a laptop for light games, normal work and portability; and a tablet or smartphone for mobility. those are what i need. anything in between, like netbook and ultrabook, only if i get a fat bonus from my boss.[/citation]

I don't even have a laptop anymore for personal usage. I use my desktop for high power stuff and my iPad when I'm on the go - had a laptop but quickly found that I wasn't really using for anything more than surfing/email.

dimcorner

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Have a PC desktop for my games and video/photo editing.
Have a 17" laptop for the wife because she is in school and barely takes the laptop outside the house anyway (but wants it portable for some study sessions in the library).
Have an iPad2 for the times where we just want to look something up online and don't feel like booting up the PC. Also take it on flights to watch movies or read instead of whipping out the laptop plus battery lasts much longer.

All have their place.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The demand for the color blue is fading. Turns out it was just a fad. The color orange will replace the color purple.

The demand for 2 door cars is fading. Turns out it was just a fad. 4 door cars will replace 2 door cars.

The demand for yogurt is fading. Turns out it was just a fad. Ice cream will replace yogurt.

The demand for tablets is fading....

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Well what do you all expect! When something comes out that's new,it's like a new trend & a lot of people I expect will end up buying these new ultrabooks. These people that buy the new ultrabooks are probably the same people who bought the new tablets,etc.

G

yes it may be cooling off, but only because most of us are waiting for a non apple, windows 8, sub 400, decent spec'd tablet. It may never happen, but i'll wait.

gmp23

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
I'm not a big fan of Apple or tablets in general, but it's hard to deny their popularity now days. This kinda sounds like wishful thinking on the part of Acer. Time will tell I guess.

G

Those who don't "understand" tablets don't understand long car rides, having children, convenient internet browsing, watching videos on break at work, how-to's when working on a car, keeping entertained at a boring party your wife forced you to go to, and of course when you're on the porcelain throne.

Tablets are luxury items. It's for people who can afford to have one for convenience sake, and I have to say I find it very convenient in many cases that some of you people fail to see.

Does it replace actual computers? No, it never will. It will never replace my desktop or laptop. But for some of the reasons I mentioned above, it's actually useful if you find ways to use it. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my iPad 2 to put on Sesame Street to keep my daughter occupied while I'm working on something.

akenmaat

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
The problem I see with saying tablets fill a niche is that there is no niche. Smart phones and laptops already cover the range tablets are trying to claim and they do it with more portability, in the case of phones, and more functionality/performance, in the case of laptops. And with notebooks getting dramatically more portable all the time, there's just no real need for tablets.

Tablets are the result of Apple sensing an opportunity to cram more iCrap down the throats its sheeple and rake in a ton of short term profit. And the other manufacturers just followed their lead....

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]sarcasm[/nom]Those who don't "understand" tablets don't understand... how-to's when working on a car,...[/citation]
For some reason the idea of you doing that scares me. Hopefully the source is reputable.

Those who don't "understand" tablets don't understand long car rides, having children, convenient internet browsing, watching videos on break at work, how-to's when working on a car, keeping entertained at a boring party your wife forced you to go to, and of course when you're on the porcelain throne.

Tablets are luxury items. It's for people who can afford to have one for convenience sake, and I have to say I find it very convenient in many cases that some of you people fail to see.

Does it replace actual computers? No, it never will. It will never replace my desktop or laptop. But for some of the reasons I mentioned above, it's actually useful if you find ways to use it. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my iPad 2 to put on Sesame Street to keep my daughter occupied while I'm working on something.

you sound like one of those apple sheep who doesn't look at anything that does not have an apple logo on it

long car rides? get a cheap portable DVD player instead of a 600.00 tablet

convenient net browsing? simple get a smart phone and some glasses if your vision is bad

and for manuals i can get a e reader that costs hundreds of dollars less than an ipad

but you are the lazy type i guess so you are willing to waste you're money on some overpriced technology for a small "convenience

krunal_meher2000

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Lack of innovation killed pc not tablets.
they should have done this years ago.
but its good to see that they are finally getting it right.....
better to be late than never.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
It's strange, how they're jumping up and down one day claiming that PCs are dead, only to slowly realise that PCs are the only things that'll continue to be hot while everything else eventually "cools down".

G

i completely disagree. the only reason i dont have a tablet is because im waiting for the day i can replace my laptop with one. so acer, please make that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.