Question PC fans start late, causes pc too shutdown during boot?

Jun 30, 2024
So, the problem is as follows: The first time I start my PC each day, it works perfectly. The fans start spinning immediately, and the PC boots up. However, if I need to restart my PC for any reason, or if I shut it down and try to boot it up within an hour or a bit longer, the fans connected to the motherboard start spinning 5-8 seconds late. As a result, I believe the CPU overheats, causing the PC to turn off after about 10-15 seconds.

If I wait long enough, sometimes the PC starts even though the fans don't spin immediately (I believe this happens because it has cooled off enough to manage to boot without triggering the shutdown). I checked for loose cables but couldn't find any. I tried setting the fans to maximum speed in the BIOS, but the problem persisted.

I also removed the RAM and tried some old sticks I had. The PC didn't boot as I didn't put them in correctly and beeped, BUT the fans spun instantly altough I tried to start it within an hour after the last shutdown. After correctly reinstalling the new RAM, the PC booted again, but the same issue occurred—fans starting late and the PC shutting down after 10-15 seconds.

I also replaced the CMOS battery (which was over 5 years old) and reset my BIOS, but the problem still exists. I don't know if the fans are the root cause, but I assume they are because overheating seems to be the logical explanation, given that the PC works after being turned off for a longer period.

Additionally, I have tried unplugging the power cord to fully unload the PSU, but that did not solve the problem either.

The problem started suddenly, with the first indication being a crash at the Windows login screen. Since then, it has only shut down during boot and never while running. So once I get into Windows, im good!

I don't know what else to do and don't want to start buying new parts randomly. I appreciate any help in advance! If you have any questions, please ask. I'm happy to provide more information.

I wan't to add that I see a lot of errors in the Windows Event Viewer, just wanted to add that..

• Mainboard: Asrock B450M Pro4
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3600 2x16 GB
  • M2: CT2000P3SSD8 Crucial P3 SSD 2 TB, M.2 NVMe
  • GPU: Gigabyte 4070 Gaming OC
  • PSU: Cooler Master Reactor Gold 750W

kanewolf

Titan
So, the problem is as follows: The first time I start my PC each day, it works perfectly. The fans start spinning immediately, and the PC boots up. However, if I need to restart my PC for any reason, or if I shut it down and try to boot it up within an hour or a bit longer, the fans connected to the motherboard start spinning 5-8 seconds late. As a result, I believe the CPU overheats, causing the PC to turn off after about 10-15 seconds.

If I wait long enough, sometimes the PC starts even though the fans don't spin immediately (I believe this happens because it has cooled off enough to manage to boot without triggering the shutdown). I checked for loose cables but couldn't find any. I tried setting the fans to maximum speed in the BIOS, but the problem persisted.

I also removed the RAM and tried some old sticks I had. The PC didn't boot as I didn't put them in correctly and beeped, BUT the fans spun instantly altough I tried to start it within an hour after the last shutdown. After correctly reinstalling the new RAM, the PC booted again, but the same issue occurred—fans starting late and the PC shutting down after 10-15 seconds.

I also replaced the CMOS battery (which was over 5 years old) and reset my BIOS, but the problem still exists. I don't know if the fans are the root cause, but I assume they are because overheating seems to be the logical explanation, given that the PC works after being turned off for a longer period.

Additionally, I have tried unplugging the power cord to fully unload the PSU, but that did not solve the problem either.

The problem started suddenly, with the first indication being a crash at the Windows login screen. Since then, it has only shut down during boot and never while running. So once I get into Windows, im good!

I don't know what else to do and don't want to start buying new parts randomly. I appreciate any help in advance! If you have any questions, please ask. I'm happy to provide more information.

I wan't to add that I see a lot of errors in the Windows Event Viewer, just wanted to add that..

• Mainboard: Asrock B450M Pro4
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3600 2x16 GB
  • M2: CT2000P3SSD8 Crucial P3 SSD 2 TB, M.2 NVMe
  • GPU: Gigabyte 4070 Gaming OC
  • PSU: Cooler Master Reactor Gold 750W
What is your CPU cooler ? Is it the CPU fan(s) that don't start? What is being used to control the speed of these fans? BIOS? Windows application ?

Jun 30, 2024
What is your CPU cooler ? Is it the CPU fan(s) that don't start? What is being used to control the speed of these fans? BIOS? Windows application ?
The CPU cooler is an ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports ONE with an additional fan added on the other side (self-constructed with wire). And yes, the fans are not starting, but also the case fan that is connected to the Motherboard is also starting late! It has worked since 2018. The fans are controlled through the BIOS, likely via a temperature sensor, but even when I set all of them to max speed, they still start late (5-10 seconds). But not for the first boot of the day!

The CPU cooler is an ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports ONE
10s would not be enough for cpu cooler to overheat, if it is installed properly.
Try replacing thermal paste.

What is BIOS version of your board?
You may try updating BIOS to latest version (non BETA).
Read BIOS update notes.
BIOS update may require to be done in multiple steps depending on your current BIOS version.

Jun 30, 2024
10s would not be enough for cpu cooler to overheat, if it is installed properly.
Try replacing thermal paste.

What is BIOS version of your board?
You may try updating BIOS to latest version (non BETA).
Read BIOS update notes.
BIOS update may require to be done in multiple steps depending on your current BIOS version.
Recently, I replaced the thermal paste as it had become old. I might still have some left if CPU overheating is the actual problem. This could explain why the PC needs to cool off before it can boot again, but it doesn’t explain why the fans only spin correctly on the first boot of the day.

Today, I updated to the latest BIOS version 10.08, although it is still a BETA version. Also did a Windows update but sadly, the problem still persists.

TRENDING THREADS