Acer's Android/XP Dual Boot Netbook Out Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]Oh, I'm so excited about being able to perform limited functions on an already limited piece of hardware, a netbook. The joy!!![/citation]

I believe you miss quoted in leaving the full statement out.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
after your first boot to XP and you got very disappointed, don't panic. reboot the acer again and boot to Android. Now you're really fumed up. That's when you reach for the hammer... Everything deserves a second chance.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Limited functions is to be able to quickly check email or look something up on the web, write a note or two. If you want to run iTunes and such load up XP.

G

dual boots never where in...
Experience proves people still go to Windows. Booting Windows on a dual boot configuration still takes longer.
Anyone willing to have Android, can download and install it.
I'd say it's a bad deal.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
the only reason i would want android is if i need to check my email in 30 seconds or less, then android starts instantly.
i used to have a program like that, called pesto or something, very useful, but then the beta expired and i had to pay $200 or something lol
now it looks like ill do the same with andriod

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]dual boots never where in...Experience proves people still go to Windows. Booting Windows on a dual boot configuration still takes longer.Anyone willing to have Android, can download and install it.I'd say it's a bad deal.[/citation]

I dual boot all of my systems at home, I got 3 right now. It started with opensuse years ago that I began dual booting but over the years I switched to Ubuntu. I highly prefer all computer experiences in linux over windows but I understand I'm strange like this. There are still things, such as games, that require a machine to have windows and that is why i dual boot.

The longer boot time does not bother me in the least bit. I definitely prefer the semi independent OSs on the same machine for many reasons.

That being said I'm very skeptical of Android as a desktop OS. I understand it's a modified version of linux but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I'm going to have to research it more before I even think of running it on any of my desktops.

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
[citation][nom]The Schnoz[/nom]sounds like linux has more to fear about Android than Windows does.[/citation]
sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]antemon[/nom]sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.[/citation]
It sounds like you don't know what I'm talking about.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
and yes, I do know that Android uses the linux kernel, but I do think Google has an advantage over other linux distributors and will become the defacto standard in linux.

G

bought one simply because android runs on it, meaning (I was hoping) linux runs on it without problems. Was correct. However, I strongly recommend a linux pre-installed netbook for those who want linux. the ones I was able to find did not meet my criteria (dell mini was very hard to upgrade hardware-wise, zareason and system76 did not provide good battery life).

Status
Not open for further replies.