[SOLVED] Actiontec ECB6000 stopped functioning after network upgrade

Appendices

Reputable
Mar 18, 2016
I recently upgraded my home internet from Fios Quantum 75 to Fios Gigabit. In the past, I used MoCA to link the rooms by wire, utilizing the MoCA in the old Fios gateway (G1100) and two MoCA adapters in other rooms. I have an Actiontec ECB2500C and ECB6000. After getting the Gigabit gateway (G3100), the ECB6000 stopped working, while the ECB2500C continues to work in any location. I understand that MoCA will not handle gigabit speeds. I have already contacted an electrician to install some ethernet drops. This is more for the purpose of seeing if my adapter still works.

There were really only two changes to the coax network when it happened. Fios gigabit no longer serves internet into the house via coax, and we don't have TV or phone, so the coax network is completely unused other than MoCA. The other is the router replacement.

I have tested the ECB2500C in both locations, which works fine, but the ECB6000 works in neither. Devices connected to the ECB6000 are recognized by the router as connected and will receive an IP through DHCP. ICMP and DNS also seem to be working, but HTTP basically never works.

Has anyone come across something like this before, or do you think the adapter just happened to break at the same time as the network upgrade?

Solution
I am using ethernet WAN. The craziest thing about the MoCA reversions is that my older MoCA 1.1 adapter is the one that still works, while the 2.0 adapter is failing.

I haven't asked Fios yet. I'd prefer to avoid their customer service as much as possible. If you think they might know, I can try.
The only other though is that it might be TRYING to use the newer MoCA 2.0 standard and your splitter is not supporting the frequencies.
try a direct point-to-point short coax from the FIOS device to the non-working adapter. That will eliminate your splitters.

kanewolf

Titan
I recently upgraded my home internet from Fios Quantum 75 to Fios Gigabit. In the past, I used MoCA to link the rooms by wire, utilizing the MoCA in the old Fios gateway (G1100) and two MoCA adapters in other rooms. I have an Actiontec ECB2500C and ECB6000. After getting the Gigabit gateway (G3100), the ECB6000 stopped working, while the ECB2500C continues to work in any location. I understand that MoCA will not handle gigabit speeds. I have already contacted an electrician to install some ethernet drops. This is more for the purpose of seeing if my adapter still works.

There were really only two changes to the coax network when it happened. Fios gigabit no longer serves internet into the house via coax, and we don't have TV or phone, so the coax network is completely unused other than MoCA. The other is the router replacement.

I have tested the ECB2500C in both locations, which works fine, but the ECB6000 works in neither. Devices connected to the ECB6000 are recognized by the router as connected and will receive an IP through DHCP. ICMP and DNS also seem to be working, but HTTP basically never works.

Has anyone come across something like this before, or do you think the adapter just happened to break at the same time as the network upgrade?
The specs I find for the G3100 say it is MoCA 2.5 which is SUPPOSED to be backward compatible with the 2.0 adapter. Have you asked FIOS ?
Are you using coax or ethernet input ? If coax, then I think it is limited to MoCA 1.1 which might be your issue. With ethernet WAN, then coax on the LAN, it is MoCA 2.5.

Reactions: Appendices

Appendices

Reputable
Mar 18, 2016
The specs I find for the G3100 say it is MoCA 2.5 which is SUPPOSED to be backward compatible with the 2.0 adapter. Have you asked FIOS ?
Are you using coax or ethernet input ? If coax, then I think it is limited to MoCA 1.1 which might be your issue. With ethernet WAN, then coax on the LAN, it is MoCA 2.5.

I am using ethernet WAN. The craziest thing about the MoCA reversions is that my older MoCA 1.1 adapter is the one that still works, while the 2.0 adapter is failing.

I haven't asked Fios yet. I'd prefer to avoid their customer service as much as possible. If you think they might know, I can try.

kanewolf

Titan

The only other though is that it might be TRYING to use the newer MoCA 2.0 standard and your splitter is not supporting the frequencies.
try a direct point-to-point short coax from the FIOS device to the non-working adapter. That will eliminate your splitters.

Solution

Appendices

Reputable
Mar 18, 2016

Just tried a single coax cable between the G3100 and ECB6000. Same problem. I can ping internal addresses and external hostnames, but I cannot load webpages.

Appendices

Reputable
Mar 18, 2016
Only explanation I can think of is IPv4 vs IPv6. You could disable IPv6 on your PC and see if it makes any difference.

Having tried disabling the router firewall and disabling IPv6 on my laptop, I feel like I can say that is not the problem.
However, leaving a longer pingtest demonstrates that there is about 95% packet loss when using this adapter. I have lots of ethernet and coax cables, and they all display the same behavior. The only explanation is something is wrong with the adapter.
Thanks for your help.