Review Adata Falcon M.2 NVMe SSD Review: Soaring above SATA

This is an example of where technology is clearly changed/reduced only to save money for the mfg at the expense of the unknowing consumer. Removing DRAM only benefits the mfg, and it's bad for the consumer, especially when they don't know the technology limitations.

So that being the case, it should be priced WELL below the pricing of competing solutions with DRAM (like Adata's own SX8200, as mentioned.) Pricing it only $10-20 less is a joke & a rip-off of the consumer, because no one is saying "I'd like to waste more time every single time I use my computer just to save $10".

P.S. Calling this drive a "prosumer" model is also a joke.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
I have a 1tb adata s40 rgb m.2 and it seems fast. This seems to compete directly with it and the Falcon lacks dram. The dynamic cache must make the difference?

Well, a DRAM chip only costs ~$2, so the manufacturer isn't really saving all that much on the BoM from skipping it and still has to make its otherwise mostly unchanged costs, so it cannot make it all that much cheaper despite the substantially worse user experience.

Yeah, I'd prefer mfgs stop producing the cheaper tech & keep their profit margins with the existing higher-performing tech. Keep DRAM and drop QLC (also stop the "penta-layer" before that hits production). I've been through the changes from SLC to MLC and then TLC. TLC can mostly keep up the performance to MLC-levels, but QLC is definitely worse. So make the minimum level of flash tech at TLC, and then just work on improving your processes for better gains/profits. Then the consumer is getting the newer tech that actually improves performance, versus the "maybe" of QLC & DRAM-less SSDs.

Can't wait to switch to Optane/3D-XPoint Now that's where I'd love to see more research going into increasing capacity and lowering prices!

Reactions: gg83