Add or Remove Programs List doesn't look right

When opening the "Add Or Remove Programs" dialog (under Control Panel),
there seems to be a problem with the way the dialog shows the listing of
all of the currently installed programs. What it is doing is showing a
very large blank area between the entries (starting at the end of the A
series), and then going many pages down to the rest of the A series.

Has anyone had this problem, and if so, how can I fix it?

TIA.

Follow this:
Line 226 Right column "Remove the white space..."

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"CAD Fiend" <mbemail20REMOVECAPS@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> When opening the "Add Or Remove Programs" dialog (under Control
> Panel),
> there seems to be a problem with the way the dialog shows the
> listing of
> all of the currently installed programs. What it is doing is
> showing a
> very large blank area between the entries (starting at the end of
> the A
> series), and then going many pages down to the rest of the A series.
>
> Has anyone had this problem, and if so, how can I fix it?
>
> TIA.

Jupiter,

I went to the website link, read what it recomended, and when I went into
the registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{}
the window next to the "Uninstall" folder showed that under the "Data"
heading "Value Not Set". Should there be a value set there?

I am confused also, where it says on the website "This is generally due to
the DisplayIcon having a negative number. From here you can either remove
the negative number or remove the last application listed"

I looked at the last entry and it shows a valid application that I use a
lot. The listing appears to be alphabetical, so I don't know what the
author means. Can you please elaborate on that as well?

TIA.

Phil

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Follow this:
> Line 226 Right column "Remove the white space..."
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>
> "CAD Fiend" <mbemail20REMOVECAPS@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > When opening the "Add Or Remove Programs" dialog (under Control
> > Panel),
> > there seems to be a problem with the way the dialog shows the
> > listing of
> > all of the currently installed programs. What it is doing is
> > showing a
> > very large blank area between the entries (starting at the end of
> > the A
> > series), and then going many pages down to the rest of the A series.
> >
> > Has anyone had this problem, and if so, how can I fix it?
> >
> > TIA.

I have the same phenomenon with XP Home. Interestingly, I also have an
Autodesk product -- AutoCAD LT 2002 -- installed. My "gap" starts after
"AT&T Worldnet Accelerator" and the first entry after the gap is "Autodesk
Learning Assistance". The registry entries don't look strange and the gap
doesn't go away if I delete the Registry uninstall entry for "Autodesk
Learning Assistance". Technically the AutoCAD LT 2002 product and its
accompanying products like "Autodesk Learning Assistance" are listed as
Windows 2000 and prior products and don't have typical uninstall routines
normal with newer products.

Have no fix but the common thread may be Autodesk's older products.

"CAD Fiend" wrote:

> When opening the "Add Or Remove Programs" dialog (under Control Panel),
> there seems to be a problem with the way the dialog shows the listing of
> all of the currently installed programs. What it is doing is showing a
> very large blank area between the entries (starting at the end of the A
> series), and then going many pages down to the rest of the A series.
>
> Has anyone had this problem, and if so, how can I fix it?
>
> TIA.

Courtesy of Kelly
Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Add or Remove - White Space
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws

[[This is generally due to the DisplayIcon having a negative number. From
here you can either remove the negative number or remove the last
application listed: Start/Run/Regedit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{} ]
]

AutoCad Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autocadaddremovefix.zip

Autodesk Land Desktop 3 Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip

===

I have AutoCAD LT 2000i. The white space in Add or Remove Programs usually
shows up after the AutoCAD LT 2000i listing. If you want to tweak the
registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{5783
F2D7-0065-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
DisplayIcon
REG_SZ
C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1

Notice the aclt.exe,-1?? You can change it to read aclt.exe,1

Or you can run one of the fixes. I have both autocadaddremovefix.zip &
autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip. They both include icons.
autocadaddremovefix.vbs is the one that works for me.

I get the white space in Add or Remove Programs every time that I add or
remove a program. It isn't always AutoCAD LT that has the white space after
it, sometimes it's another program. At any rate, one of the fixes will
work. Until the next time. ;-)

autocadaddremovefix.vbs adds an autocad.ico icon to the %systemroot%\web
folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{5783
F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
DisplayIcon
REG_EXPAND_SZ
%systemroot%\web\autocad.ico

autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.vbs adds an acad.ico icon to the
%systemroot%\web folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{5783
F2D7-0138-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
DisplayIcon
REG_EXPAND_SZ
%systemroot%\web\acad.ico
-----

From snowman...
AutoCAD 2002 is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:4E6BEDF6-72E2-421C-8674-91575AAACD21@microsoft.com,
Bimmerhead <Bimmerhead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have the same phenomenon with XP Home. Interestingly, I also have
> an Autodesk product -- AutoCAD LT 2002 -- installed. My "gap" starts
> after "AT&T Worldnet Accelerator" and the first entry after the gap
> is "Autodesk Learning Assistance". The registry entries don't look
> strange and the gap doesn't go away if I delete the Registry
> uninstall entry for "Autodesk Learning Assistance". Technically the
> AutoCAD LT 2002 product and its accompanying products like "Autodesk
> Learning Assistance" are listed as Windows 2000 and prior products
> and don't have typical uninstall routines normal with newer products.
>
> Have no fix but the common thread may be Autodesk's older products.
>
> "CAD Fiend" wrote:
>
>> When opening the "Add Or Remove Programs" dialog (under Control
>> Panel), there seems to be a problem with the way the dialog shows
>> the listing of all of the currently installed programs. What it is
>> doing is showing a very large blank area between the entries
>> (starting at the end of the A series), and then going many pages
>> down to the rest of the A series.
>>
>> Has anyone had this problem, and if so, how can I fix it?
>>
>> TIA.

Changing the registry key data from "...aclt.exe,-1" to "...aclt.exe,1" for
the AutoCAD LT entry was the solution. Thanks for the post, Wes.

Keep having fun! :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes