[SOLVED] Add Synology MR2200ac to Google Nest mesh system

Jun 27, 2021
I HAD a synology wifi system but the router (RT2600ac) went bad and needed to get a new system ASAP. We went with a google wifi nest system (router + 1 point). However, I'm left with the MR2200ac point and would like to add it to the Google system.
My question is : Can I add it to the system WITHOUT having it tethered to the router (or switch) via ethernet? I want the MR2200 to be in a different room, have a device connected to IT with ethernet and the 2200 communicate with the router wirelessly.
Is this possible?
Thanks

Solution
Maybe the device is very complex and I don't feel like reading the manual.

My guess is you can run it in client-bridge mode. It would likely also work in repeater mode but I would avoid that unless you need the extra wifi signals.

Both client-bridge and repeater mode should use WDS to talk to the main router. Although WDS is not actually part of the official wifi standard all vendors do it the same so they should operate between brands. You might have to allow the mac address in the google system. WDS is considered a security exposure so some systems have added security to prevent unauthorized WDS connections.
Maybe the device is very complex and I don't feel like reading the manual.

My guess is you can run it in client-bridge mode. It would likely also work in repeater mode but I would avoid that unless you need the extra wifi signals.

Both client-bridge and repeater mode should use WDS to talk to the main router. Although WDS is not actually part of the official wifi standard all vendors do it the same so they should operate between brands. You might have to allow the mac address in the google system. WDS is considered a security exposure so some systems have added security to prevent unauthorized WDS connections.

Solution
My guess is yes that is what client-bridge does. BUT the way manufacture do repeater/bridge stuff is not really based on any official standards. Ignoring the ones that intentionally make their stuff incompatible most manufacture try to function with other vendor.

This is more you are going to have to try it and see, it is mostly read the manuals for both units.