Question Added secondary SSD, PC wont boot anymore - stuck at BIOS, even when unplugged

lunux

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2014
I bought a new SSD for extra storage. Heres the storage that I already had, which worked without any issues for years now:
1) M.2 Samsung 500 GB SSD (Windows 11 and some apps)
2) SATA 1TB HDD (storage)
3) (brand new, freshly bought one that broke the PC) SATA LC Power Phoenix 960 GB SSD

I plugged the new SSD into the motherboard with a new SATA cable (as it only has a single M.2 port thats already taken) and a random unused SATA power cable, for which I cant tell where it goes (is this even important?), then I woke my PC from sleep and right away it was acting a little strange because it didnt want to shut down or sleep. I shut it down using the power button.

Next, I couldnt exit the BIOS, so I shut the PC down again and unplugged the new SSD completely. Nothing changed, I still cant boot.

I assumed it was the boot order, but from the BIOS, its not clear to me which one is which:
(boot order as listed)
1) UEFI USB Key
2) UEFI USB Hard Disk
3) UEFI Hard Disk (tried putting this at 1), no luck)
4) UEFI USB CD/DVD
5) UEFI USB Floppy
6) UEFI Network

Why wont it just revert everything when the new SSD is unplugged?

Last edited:
1) M.2 Samsung 500 GB SSD (Windows 10 and some apps)
2) SATA 1TB HDD (storage)
is this original secondary disk still installed and using it's same SATA motherboard port?

Windows will make use of multiple disks if they are available.
this older 1TB drive may still contain necessary OS files.
if it is not installed or not using the same SATA port anymore then it can prevent the OS from loading.

a random unused SATA power cable, for which I cant tell where it goes
the only place it could go is to/from the power supply.
hence it being a power cable.

Reactions: lunux

lunux

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2014
is this original secondary disk still installed and using it's same SATA motherboard port?

Windows will make use of multiple disks if they are available.
this older 1TB drive may still contain necessary OS files.
if it is not installed or not using the same SATA port anymore then it can prevent the OS from loading.

the only place it could go is to/from the power supply.
hence it being a power cable.
Yes, both of the old disks (old SSD with Windows installation and the old HDD) remained intact and plugged in exactly as they were before.

Its almost like the PC doesnt see any of these 2 anymore, even though the new, empty SSD is now unplugged. When trying to exit BIOS, it just does a quick blink for a second, and brings me back to BIOS again - exactly like it only has a single empty drive plugged in.

Interesting idea, but I dont think it applies here as the old HDD is still where it was. Any other ideas? Thank you.

Yes, both of the old disks (old SSD with Windows installation and the old HDD) remained intact and plugged in exactly as they were before.

Its almost like the PC doesnt see any of these 2 anymore, even though the new, empty SSD is now unplugged. When trying to exit BIOS, it just does a quick blink for a second, and brings me back to BIOS again - exactly like it only has a single empty drive plugged in.

Interesting idea, but I dont think it applies here as the old HDD is still where it was. Any other ideas? Thank you.
Unplug the hdd.....test.

Reactions: lunux