Question Adding back-lit keyboard shortcut to Lenovo ThinkPad E585

Sep 16, 2019
Hello, all,

I recently bought a keyboard that has "back-lit" capabilities to my non-back-lit laptop the Lenovo Thinkpad E585. The problem I'm having is that when I press Fn + Space it doesn't light up my keyboard. I was wondering if there is some sort of firmware override that I can do; or perhaps a bios over ride; or maybe even a software one, to allow my laptop to light up the keyboard. Please help! Does anybody know of a way to allow this? Maybe some script? anything!

HERE ARE MY OEM SPECS:

• Processor : AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U quad-core (2.00GHz, up to 3.60GHz Max Boost, 4MB Cache)
  • Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
  • Operating System Language : Windows 10 Home 64 English
  • Display : 15.6" HD (1366 x 768) anti-glare
  • Memory : 8GB (4 + 4) DDR4 2400MHz
  • Graphics : Integrated AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 mobile graphics
  • Keyboard : Keyboard English with Number Pad
  • Pointing Device : NO Fingerprint Reader, Black Cover
  • Display Panel : 15.6" HD (1366x768), Anit-Glare, Aluminium, Black
  • TPM Setting : Hardware dTPM2.0 Enabled
  • Camera : 720p HD Camera with integrated microphone
  • First Hard Drive : 500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm, SATA3, 2.5"
  • Battery : 3 Cell Li-Polymer 45Wh
  • Power Cord : 65W AC Adapter (2pin) - USB Type C
  • Wireless : 802.11AC (2 x 2) & Bluetooth 4.1
  • Language Pack : Publication-English
  • Warranty : 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

Sep 16, 2019
what? If it’s not a backlit keyboard to begin with how do you expect to turn it into one

I was hoping that it would automatically be Back-LIT without having to enable it via Fn + Space; but it wasn't. It's a binary functionality so I would expect it to be a simple enable; but I quickly learned no.

So it's like buying a new keyboard and now what I expect is that there might be some software out there (drivers) that I can get which will allow me to use the back-lit feature of this new keyboard.