Adding Memory to Presario 900

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I am trying to add additional memory (256m) to a Presario 900 Notebook.
Using PNY PC2700 (as recommended at their website) modules, the computer
goes into safe mode whenever the original and additional memory is inserted.
It boots normally if either the new or old modules are inserted. Tried
buying another new module and inserting them without the original, but same
situation. It seems like something needs to be set to allow for the extra
memory?

Does it require only PC2100 memory? Is there something about the 900 that
needs to be set to recognize the extra memory? Does anyone know of any
peculiarities with it and memory? Is the memory proprietary?

Any thoughts?
Clark

hh

Back in the my Compaq tech days, about the only memory issues we had were
with PNY memory. Do yourself a big favor. Return the PNY and tell them it
doesn't work. Then go to the URL below and get the right memory for your
Presario 900:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Compaq%2BPresario+Notebooks.&mfr=Compaq&cat=RAM&model=Presario+900+Series.&submit=Go

HH

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to add additional memory (256m) to a Presario 900 Notebook.
>Using PNY PC2700 (as recommended at their website) modules, the computer
>goes into safe mode whenever the original and additional memory is
>inserted. It boots normally if either the new or old modules are inserted.
>Tried buying another new module and inserting them without the original,
>but same situation. It seems like something needs to be set to allow for
>the extra memory?
>
> Does it require only PC2100 memory? Is there something about the 900
> that needs to be set to recognize the extra memory? Does anyone know of
> any peculiarities with it and memory? Is the memory proprietary?
>
> Any thoughts?
> Clark

Clark

Distinguished