ahmedzeex

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2014
hello guys,

i have z390 aorus master mb with 2x8 tridentz rgb 3200 mhz kit installed

i got another kit of tridentz 3200mhz is it okay to install them directly and i will get stable 32gb of ram or its not recommended

do i have to used 4x8 kit or 2x16 like most of manufacturers recommend i'm confused to sell or keep not sure if i installed them they will work perfectly

i appreciate your help and thanks in advance

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
More importantly, why do you want to upgrade to 32GB?

That and technically it's always best practice to buy a whole new pack when upgrading RAM as mixed modules aren't guaranteed to work together as manufacturers only guarantee RAM compatibility in the form sold.

ahmedzeex

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2014
to be honest i bought them when they were 160$ now they are sold 115 and i was selling them but no body is interested and i don't wanna sell them cheaper than this

so i started to think if i dont need 32gb now eventually i'll need them maybe in couple of years so the idea came to my mind about adding them to the ones i already have

i know its not recommended but it might work i dont know they are the same model and everything

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
they are the same model and everything
I know what you mean, but unfortunately irrelevant, the only way even the same models are guaranteed to work together is if they are in the same pack, worst case if they are the same date code. Basically the manufacturing process changes a lot and frequently, so a small change can all of a sudden make modules not work well together.

Not saying it never works, just it's a 50/50 bet.

All I would say is if you're just referring to gaming, 16GB will still last for quite a while and by the time that these sorts of applications will be using up to 32GB, will be the point where you would probably want to upgrade more items anyway.

Because if you install them now, when your current usage does not warrant it, then they will quite literally sit there doing absolutely nothing. If you have 16GB and the most RAM you've ever used in on your most resource heavy application(s) is 12GB, then you upgrade to 32GB, you just have 20GB sitting there completely idle but drawing power, as opposed to 4GB.

So in reality, its down to your needs and if it is necessary, if it becomes necessary down the line, personally I would just buy a whole new pack along with any other upgrade I want.

But by all accounts give it a go, you can't really damage anything just by adding more modules, just may create instability and in some cases put extra pressure on the memory controller, but you'll only know when you try, then if there's a problem, remove them. Just IMO, if my current needs do require more than 16GB, there's no real benefit to installing them.

Reactions: ahmedzeex