When I try to add a printer I receive the message " This operation has been
cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please etc"

Byte

Are you the Administrator?
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"Acajunpa" wrote:

> When I try to add a printer I receive the message " This operation has been
> cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please etc"

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:47:12 -0700, "Acajunpa"
<Acajunpa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Byte" wrote:
>
>> Are you the Administrator? Yes I am
>> --
>> XP-WNP
>> Today is the first day of the
>> rest of your life.
>>

>> "Acajunpa" wrote:
>>
>> > When I try to add a printer I receive the message " This operation has been
>> > cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please etc"
>Yes I am an Administrator.

Are you a member of the administrators group? I've run into this
problem before and found out my account wasn't.

To add yourself to the Administrators group:

1. Right-click My Computer and select "Manage"
2. If necessary, expand the Local Users and Groups entry.
3. Click on "Groups"
4. Double-clike on Administrators
5. If you account isn't listed under "members", click "Add"
6. Enter your account name in the text box and click "Check Names"
7. The system will verify your account and it will be underlined.
8. Click OK

Now you are a member of the Administrator group and should be able to
add your printer.

I am using winxp home edition, when I click on Manage the option to select
local users etc is not listed. When I logged on as a different user, not my
primary account, I was able to install a printer and it was available when I
relogged on to my primary account.