Feb 2, 2021
Hey!
I own 2x8 GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz
I wanted to upgrade for more RAM and purchased another set of 2x8 GB (exact same product)
I wanted to fill up the 4 RAM slots, but my benchmarks tell the RAM is 'performing below potential' (benchmark 4 ram sticks)
I have turned on A-XMP in BIOS, and everything works fine when I use only 2 sticks (benchmark 2 ram sticks).
Can someone tell me how to fix this?

My specs:
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Processor: Ryzen 7 2700X
Graphics card: XFX 5700XT THICC III
Storage: 2x 1TB Samsung SSD
Powersupply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold

you can find the specs on the benchmarks also

Thanks in advance for the help.
- Vince

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the reply @keith12
Would I be better off with the 2 sticks or 4? otherwise I will just return them. Maybe even replace them

Sorry, was in the process of editing, when you replied.

I would go with 2 sticks of 3200 or 3600 dual ranked DIMMS. 2 x `16gb dual ranked is considered sweet spot for Ryzen. As @alceryes menetioned, having all slots populated, puts stress on the IMC.
Hi there,

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. It's the limitation of Ryzen memory capacity.

WIth 4 DIMM slots populated, you will only get 2666mhz, and possibly less like you've illustrated, 2133mhz could be the default speed. It often comes down to the IMC on the CPU as how well the DIMMS will perfrom. 1st/2nd Gen ryzen typically top out about 2933mhz.

Best bet is to get two dual sided 16gb DIMMS ar 3200mhz or better yet, 3600mhz. Then sell your current ram to offset the cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: vincent033
Adding RAM will only increase performance if you are currently using ALL of your RAM in a particular task, game, etc.. (as long as you are already operating in dual-channel mode)
What were you running that made you think that all 16GBs was being used? Going from 2 to 4 sticks increases the load on the memory controller inside your CPU.

It is also very possible that these 2 sets of sticks aren't compatible with each other, even thought they are the exact same model. It's always best to get a full 4-stick kit if you want to run 4 sticks of RAM.

Thanks for the reply @keith12
Would I be better off with the 2 sticks or 4? otherwise I will just return them. Maybe even replace them

Sorry, was in the process of editing, when you replied.

I would go with 2 sticks of 3200 or 3600 dual ranked DIMMS. 2 x `16gb dual ranked is considered sweet spot for Ryzen. As @alceryes menetioned, having all slots populated, puts stress on the IMC.

Reactions: vincent033
Solution