Additional Monitor On Laptop.

neetesh6499

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
So basically, I don't have an average laptop. I've got an Intel i5-6200 2.3ghz ( 2-Core, 4-Thread ), Nvidia 920M 2GB, 6 GB Ram. I dont game on my laptop, I mostly use programs like unity ( nothing intensive, 2D and extremely simple 3D games ) ,visual studio ( Coding ), inkscape ( photo editing ) , sometimes video editing too and chrome with 4-5 tabs. I have an additional monitor and was thinking to set it up. i was wondering if my laptop would be able to handle it without a drastic decrease in performance? I'd use it not just ideally but how a normal dual monitor workstation would be used. What would be the drawbacks? Should i just stick to normally using my laptop?
Thanks!

Dual monitors shouldn't have much of any impact on performance. Hardly noticeable if at all noticeable. The only way any games should show any affect is if the external monitor is a higher resolution and you try to play games on that monitor at the higher resolution.

Now with more stuff on screen improving your workflow. Your habits can change. It could seem slower because of increased user demand. You are more rapidly able to see what you need and switch tasks. The computer itself isn't moving any slower. You're just able to respond faster. Another scenario is with more items visible on screen. The tendency is to leave more programs and tabs open to utilize the extra screen real estate. Increasing load on the CPU and RAM. Again not a slow down of the computer but an increase in user demand.

neetesh6499

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014

So basically my hardware would not hold me back in terms of performance right?

I'd never make that guarantee about any computer. No, matter how powerful it is.

If nothing. Absolutely nothing changes about your workflow. Number of running programs, open tabs, websites visited, software versions, changes to web sites themselves, &c. If the only variable that changed is the number of screens. You should not notice a difference.

neetesh6499

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014

Alright, Thanks Alot! :D