[SOLVED] Adivce on upgrading

Dec 17, 2018
Hi all,
Have been researching for a few weeks now. And i am getting more and more lost.
My current rig is as follows:

i5-3570 Non k
16gb ddr 3 1600
Joshua-h61 motherboard
GTX 1060 3gb
1 x 500gb ssd
1 x 256 nvme which is on a pcie x1 adapter card ( loss of speed on here but needed the drive space)
1 x 64gb ssd
1 x 1tb hdd

This little rig does pretty well for what it is. But i have the option to spend about 200$ on it, thus i am trying to see what my best option is. From what i could tell, going to a better motherboard that actually has sata III and pcie x3. i have found a z77 mother board for 189. I know i don't need the z77 since i cant overclock i want it for the dual pcie slots and the dual sata 3 slots.
Any and all advice will be appreciated and just keep in mind, i do not have the budget right now to setup a newer rig as much as i would love to.

Solution
It looks like memory prices will continue to fall over the next 3 months and perhaps you will find a great sale somewhere in there. Right now, yeah still expensive but coming down slowly -- picked up 32GB DDR4 (2x 16GB 3000MHz G.Skill) for $179 last week for a client build. That was a real lucky buy though, sale on Newegg with a $50 off credit from some recent purchase that gave me a free $50 credit that I was not aware of until checking out. :pt1cable:

RealBeast

Titan
I would not spend $189 on an old board with limited upgrade potential. I would save for a new system once you can get say $500 together to move to a fully updated budget system.

If you really feel the need for a Z77 for more slots/etc you can get a good Gigabyte board for $130 shipped free from Ascendtech, a place that I use for old parts. But does your case have the space for a full size ATX board?

Dec 17, 2018
The issue is that it's going to be quite a while before I can invest into a new system, meaning mobo CPU and ram. My case is an after market full tower so yes it can fit full size motherboards. The reason I was looking at a new mother board is that this one does not have sata 3 so it's not using the full potential of my ssds. And if I can get a board with at least a pcie x4 slot then I can shift my nvme into an adapter which I also have to run in that instead of pciex1 so there's a slight speed difference. My GPU also runs on pcie3 which this board doesn't have. So if I can find a mobo with at least 2 sata3 ports. Usb3 and pciex16 and x4 slots and have 4 sata 2 ports then I should be able to make themost of what this gear can give me. No ?

Dec 17, 2018
I had thought as much but wanted some other input since some of the things I found online led me to believe I could get something worthwhile performance wise with just a mobo upgrade. Your advice has changed that for me and is greatly appreciated.

RealBeast

Titan
I agree that it is not worth upgrading to just a new motherboard. The performance improvement won't be worth it, just save up and when you are ready do a new build.

Dec 17, 2018
Am looking into a ryzen 5 2600x with 16gb and a b450 mobo for 400 cad$. The ram is ridiculously high though. Can get the cpu for 133 and the mobo for about 100. Can't find 16gb below 140 unless going into unbranded ram which I'm not the Keenest on.

RealBeast

Titan
It looks like memory prices will continue to fall over the next 3 months and perhaps you will find a great sale somewhere in there. Right now, yeah still expensive but coming down slowly -- picked up 32GB DDR4 (2x 16GB 3000MHz G.Skill) for $179 last week for a client build. That was a real lucky buy though, sale on Newegg with a $50 off credit from some recent purchase that gave me a free $50 credit that I was not aware of until checking out. :pt1cable:

Solution