Adjusting Graphics Card Fan Speed

ramx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Hi friends,I need some expert opinions regarding video card fan speeds.Is it advisable to max out the fan speed at 100% during gaming?If maxed out[As I am doing now],is there any ill effects for the card?.Does it damage the fan motor?I have an XFX Geforce 8800 GTS card.I am using EVGA Precision to max out the fan speed.....

Solution

According to nvidia max temp for your GPU is 105C that is the reason the fan is programmed as is. Most people that worry about GPU fan speed upgrade every 2 years so it is hard to tell but I have a 5+ year old FX5900 card in my win 98 system that still...
You can run at 100%, it will just be loud. It does wear on the fan a little, but honestly for as long as anyone keeps video cards anymore, it won't go out in the time you own it, unless there are issues.

I always stick with the stock fan profile unless it is either (a) to loud for me at idle, or (b) I am OCing and need it cooler at higher clocks. In either case, I stopped doing this manually a while back with a fan controller or manual software. Just setup a fan profile in Riva Tuner or another program.

ramx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Thank you guys for your opinions.By default for NVIDIA cards,the fan speed is 60%.I have tested the fan speed variations using EVGA Precision during gaming.There won't be notable increase in fan speeds unless the GPU temperature is above 85 degrees.I think anything above 80 degrees is really hot,isn't?.At 100% fan speed,the GPU temperatures settles well below 75 degrees.But I am also afraid of the life of the fan.Does anybody know the average life of a GPU fan or the card itself?

According to nvidia max temp for your GPU is 105C that is the reason the fan is programmed as is. Most people that worry about GPU fan speed upgrade every 2 years so it is hard to tell but I have a 5+ year old FX5900 card in my win 98 system that still works fine.

Solution