Adjusting NIC properties in Device Manager

spartan92

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any experience/advice on adjusting my NIC card properties within the Device Manager in Windows. I confess that I don't know much about what these settings do, so I didn't want to start changing them without consulting others who might be able to inform me a bit.

I'm trying to optimize my connection speed/performance for online gaming and was wondering if adjusting any of these settings would help.

Thanks for any useful advice.

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
To be honest there is very little you can tweak on your network settings to improve online gaming. XP does a good job already.

Are you having specific problems ?

You could create a new profile for online gaming which disables lots of services you don't need when gaming. This will free your computer resources (CPU and memory) up a little.

click me !

spartan92

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
Hubbardt, thanks for responding. I'm simply trying to figure out how I can overcome some lag issues in Battlefield 2142. It might very well be just the game, as I've tried isolating everything I can think of. I have a fast cable modem connection, reasonably powerful PC, it doesn't appear to be my router, yet I still have tons of lag in the game, even when playing on the fastest servers I can find.

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
I feel your pain. I had similar issues with another game a while back and one day the lag just disappeared 8O

Here's a tweaking guide but I'm sure you've already tried most of it:
click me !

Is it only BF 2142 that lags ?
Have you tried setting the resolution and detail down just to be sure it's not a performance issue ?