Advice for a computer modification

icer

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Hi,

I would like to know if my CPU would be a bottleneck if I change the videocard on my 5 years old computer. Spec below

CPU : Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz O'C at 3.06 GHz
RAM : Corsair XMS2 TWIN2x2048-6400 CL 5-5-5-12
Motherboard : Asus P5W DH Deluxe
GPU : Radeon X1900XT 512 MB
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB but will be replace with a WD Claviar Black 640GB
PSU : OCZ52012U-520W Modstream Modular
Casing : Coolermaster CAC-T05 Centurion
CPU HEatsink : Zalman CNPS9500
OS : XP SP3 but will change on Win 7 in the next few days.
Monitor: Viewsonic VX2025 1680x1050

I was suppose to change for a new i7 or i5 computer, but the option is on ice for now.
Would a Radeon 5870 work well with the CPU?
Should I change the PSU at the sametime or it can handle the new GPU?

I though of buying a middle range GPU like the 5770 but if I was going to change the computer later I didn't want to buy a new GPU two time.
I need to check how the computer run SC2 first, but if I can get any advice it would be nice.

thank you

mdocod

Distinguished
Hi Icer,

The way I figure it is that if you are thinking about re-building the comp at some point in the future, and transplanting the GPU, then just buy the best GPU you can now and don't worry about whether it can hit peak performance in the current machine. Adjust settings to keep things running without hickups for now and enjoy the full potential later if need be. Like you said, try not to buy the GPU twice.

On the other hand, I would be the type to just wait it out until the whole machine could be updated as one big move. Everyone has their preferences for these moves so you'll just have to follow your gut and do what feels best for you.

On another note: The more I read about hard drives, the more I see a huge movement towards the Samsung F3s. From what I am reading, it seems that a 1TB F3 will perform as well as a WD 640GB black or better for similar cost. Just something to consider.

Eric

If you can afford a new rig within a year or more than get a HD5770, but if you can somehow manage a new rig within the next 6 -12months, you can consider to get a HD5850 or higher, the one which have decent performance that you can can carry for the next rig.

A new PSU for a single HD5770 or HD5870 is not needed.

Scott2010au

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
I've got the same CPU with a similar overclock on it.

Using: Gigabyte manufactured Radeon 4890 OC

The more the CPU would hold it back the more FSAA, Ansiotropic, Adaptive (Texture transparent) Anti-Aliasing, etc you can use before it starts to limit the min/max/avg/what-not.

So long as your PSU can handle it, who knows down the road you might have two in CrossFireX?

icer

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

Thank you for the information and advice. The WD Clavair Black was bought in last november. It is still in my computer not in use. I was suppose to use it has a new primary HD, but didn't have time to do because of school. Like you said, alots of people are using the samsung brand for HD, but I was wondering about the reliability. I moved to WD after having some problem with the seagate on my PS3.

Thank you for the information on the PSU. Like I said before I could buy the machine in the next month or could be in the next year. I got to go check for a laser surgery, so if I'm good with it it will make a hole in the wallet.

Thank for the information also. I'm not a big fan of SLI/Xfire build. But I know the tech is better now than before.
I know Evga is a good brand for the Geforce card, but for ATI which should I check? Sapphire/Asus, Gigabyte, Diamond, PowerColor, or else?

Installed SC2 yesterday in the afternoon. I'm suprised the rig can run it between low and high setting at 1680x1050

Again thank you for the replies.

Scott_of_Valencia

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I know this is a late response but it may help others working with a somewhat dated, ASUS P5W DH Deluxe , MB as i did. I got this board as a hand-me-down with just the Proceessor, E6600 , and Ram, 4, Corsair DDR2 CM2X1024-6400C4 and installed 2 new Diamond ATI HD 5770 boards , Crossfire Mode, with a 750 watt PS . This thing was not stable at all from the get go, crashing when ever in crossfire mode when playing my first shooter games on line, BF2BC or MOH 2010 :( . It became apparent that it needed to be fine tuned and over clocked, after leangthy readings of several other posts in overclocking and others having simular problems. If anything was left in Auto in CMOS settings it seemed too unstabilize the system and it would crash. I would tweek voltages and timings then test with the free version of 3DMARK 11 software and run it several times to make sure of stability and used CPU-Z for referance. It took awhile to dial it in. I still have to take it out of Crossfire mode to run some other cheeper games but it runs the newer high-end graphics very well !!!!!!! In the AMD CCC, when running tests, turn AMD "Overdrive" and "Catalyst AI" on and off to check preformance and stability. All other settings in CCC are default.

this is the set up that work for me.

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
E6600
4 of Corsair cm2x1024-6400c4, DDR2 800 mhz, 4 Gig total
Win 7 Pro
2 of ATI Diamond HD 5770 , 5770PE51G , Xfire Mode
AMD CCC Ver 2010.1125.2148.39102
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BIOS 2901

AI tuning--manual
cpu Freq--333
performance mode-- standard
PCI Express Freq--100
PCI Clock Sync-- 33.33
memory volts--1.95
cpu vcore volt--1.425
FSB Term. volts--1.40
ICH chipset volt.--1.55
Digital home mode--disabled
Max cpuid value limit--Disabled