Advice for a first time water cooling system

alaskaboy

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Long time reader of this forum but i would like some feedback from the community on this one as I'm finally ready to enter a water cooling setup for my gaming rig and i dont really want to make any mistakes with this computer. Currently running I7-2600k, 16 GB dominator RAM, 3x EVGA 570 SC, 1500 W Silverstone PSU, EVGA z68 FTW mobo in a HAF-X case. Now on to the speculation of what i want to setup for water cooling for the components are as follows:

XSPC Rasa RX 360 (rad/pump/res/cpu block)
3x EK 570/580 water blocks (EK-FC580)
Distilled water with a kill coil in res
8- 45 degree compression fittings for making the tubes have to do a little less bending
Koolance video card block spacers for in between each card to keep the loop going
Danger Den 1/2" ID 10 FT tubing
Arctic cooling MX-4 for thermal paste for cards and processor
finally Articlean cleaner for the gpu's and cpu

now what I would really like to find out is if this Rasa setup will power thru the full loop or would i be better off looking at a seperate pump/res/rad setup.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You are going to need more radiators than that single RX360.

A single RX360 can handle about 600 watts of heat using 2000 rpm fans. So, that taken into consideration:

A GTX 570 (stock speeds) produces about 243watts of heat @ 100% load. You have three.

243 x 3= 729 total GPU watts

An i7 2600k (stock speeds) produces 95 watts of heat @ 100% load.

729 + 95 = 824 total watts in your loop (not counting the heat from the pump, which is typically 15-30 watts on average, depending on pump)

If you are going to be building a loop that substantial, I wouldn't use the XSPC X20 pump/res at all. The Rasa CPU block and RX360 rad are great, I just would get a better pump for a loop like that.

SushiDragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
HAF-X... I don't have much experience with those. The build looks similar to an 800D (Although I may be horribly horribly wrong).

The radiator is good, but I suggest going with another 120mm Rad at LEAST.

I second the upgrade for the pump. Four (?) waterblocks provide a fair amount of resistance in the loop.

alaskaboy

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
the HAF-X can only support up to a 360 rad on the top so to find a new rad and a pump/res combo any suggestions on the combo should i get a dual bay/dual pump setup or should i go a single Koolance with the lcd screen and goodies or go for just a plain res that can house 1 or 2 pumps? By the way trying to find everything on frozencpu.com and the product info is less than stellar trying to find a new rad that can dissipate that much wattage heat

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
A dual loop isn't going to benefit you more than a single serial loop. In fact- a single loop will out perform a dual loop given the consideration you use the same radiators for the dual loops in a single large loop.

And having dual pumps or dual loops has nothing to do with only using one radiator...this doesn't make sense. You'd need more than the single 360 regardless if you ran one loop or 2.

alaskaboy

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
front intake is not feasible HDD cage is there and is close to full w 2 raptors a WD black 1tb and 2 ssd's but i guess i could go with another rad hanging off the back then

alaskaboy

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
and if i were to add a rad to the back should i go another 120 or go to a 140 and how exactly would that setup actually be run? Does the out from the 360 go into the in on the one on the back of the case and its pushed from there?

SushiDragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
If I'm not mistaken, I'm sure you can put a rad where the 200mm fan is on the side panel.

Just to clarify, just stick a 140mm Rad where your original 140mm fan is.

Edit:

Add a 140mm Rad. The order doesn't matter, but here is how I would do it. 360mm Radiator -> 140mm Radiator -> CPU -> GPU -> Back to 360mm Radiator.

Oh, and look at these radiators, they have a very suitable pump, reservoir, and the radiator all in one package!

http://www.swiftech.com/mcr-x20-drive-rev3.aspx

Particularly the MCR320-DRIVE-R3 model.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Having a rad next to HDD's isn't going to cause an issue...but if you don't have the space to remove or modify that area, then I understand.

Please read through this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269940-29-what-liquid-cooling

We've had this discussion on the forum before. I strongly suggest reading through as many threads as you can as part of your research. We get dozens of people asking the same questions each week, so chances are- we've helped answer this before; possibly even recently.

Edit: Also- please slow down and make sure you are posting relevant information and not posting several replies in quick succession. Use the edit functionality to add additional information to your posts if you need to update or edit. There is no need for this:

front intake is not feasible HDD cage is there and is close to full w 2 raptors a WD black 1tb and 2 ssd's but i guess i could go with another rad hanging off the back then

and then only 4 minutes later:

and if i were to add a rad to the back should i go another 120 or go to a 140 and how exactly would that setup actually be run? Does the out from the 360 go into the in on the one on the back of the case and its pushed from there?

alaskaboy

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
gotcha on the rad and i didnt realise there would be clearance for a rad on the panel but i do like to dust my pc out every other week or so and i think that would get in the way but like i said how would the tubing be run on adding a second rad to the loop

SushiDragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Alright, I've compiled a list for what you should *At minimum* get.

Radiator(s):
XSPC Rasa RX 360
and
Black Ice SR1 140mm

Pump:
Swiftech MCP655

Reservoir:
XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir (You can put your MCP655 Pump in there for neatness. ;) )

CPU Waterblock:
Apogee XTL

ALTERNATIVE:

NOTE: I Have NO idea whether this will fit in your case without some minor modding.

Rad/Pump/Res Combo
Swiftech 360 Radiator with Reservoir and Pump

CPU Waterblock:
Apogee XTL

Fittings/Tubing/Extras are completely up to you.

I recommend compression fittings if you have the cash going for it.

Use any sort of distilled water with some kill coils for the fluid

Use UV tubing instead of dyes for both cleaning efficiency, life longevity, and it overall looks nicer.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
MCP355 or 35x would be just as good for that loop...and smaller. They make reservoirs that fit those pumps too. D5's are good, but they are big- if he already has space issues, I'd vote for the smaller pump. Just because it's smaller, doesn't mean it isn't just as good.

alaskaboy

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
thank you both for the input ill start looking at frozencpu to see what this is gonna run me now. Was also already planning on uv tubing and compression fittings and some other bells and whistles doing it right the first time is better than trying to cut corners

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
FrozenCPU has some of the very best selection out there, but can be more expensive than other sites. However, it come down to selection vs. price in some instances. There are some retailer links in the WC sticky in case you want to look around and price shop.

alaskaboy

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Again thanks ill take a couple days to look around and when im done ill put the compiled list up for you guys pretty sure i have a good idea of what to snag now appreciate the input.

alaskaboy

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
OK so i spent last night putting together a comprehensive list some of the items you guys suggested i snagged some i didnt but here we go.

XSPC Dual 5.25 bay res with MCP655 pump
Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 rad
Black Ice GT Stealth 140 rad
2x1800 rpm 140mm fans
6x 1850 rpm fans
Scythe Kaze Q-8 8 fan controller
Arctic Cooling MX-4 thermal compound
Apogee XTL waterblock and 1155 backplate
EK Geforce 570/580 GTX vga blocks(black version)
1 each on the Koolance 1 slot and 2-3 slot spacings for the sli setup
2x IandH Silver kill coils
Compression Fittings- 2 straight 4 45 degree and 4 90 degree fittings
3x Koolance inline coolant filter

Hopefully this gives me the drop that I want with my system. Thank you both for the help