[SOLVED] Advice for an M2 wifi module

Klean9

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2015
I have a question about M2 wifi. I just made a build using an Asrock B550M Steel Legend mobo with a Ryzen 9 3900x CPU. This is my first AMD build. I want to put in a M2 wifi module. There is a M2 slot for it. Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of when trying to make this match? I usually go to PC PartPicker for ideas but it does not have any M2 wifi listed under the compatible wireless for this motherboard. Any suggestions for a M2 wifi module would be appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
The M.2 slots on desktop boards are actually intended for use with M.2 PCI or SATA storage devices. If you want to add wireless capability, either get a PCIe expansion card or a USB adapter.

M.2 wireless cards are primarily for laptops and notebooks and are an entirely different form factor key type than the 2280 and similar form factors used on desktop boards.
The M.2 slots on desktop boards are actually intended for use with M.2 PCI or SATA storage devices. If you want to add wireless capability, either get a PCIe expansion card or a USB adapter.

M.2 wireless cards are primarily for laptops and notebooks and are an entirely different form factor key type than the 2280 and similar form factors used on desktop boards.

Solution

Klean9

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2015
Thanks for responding.
It says specifically in the handbook " PCIe 4.0 x16, 1 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 3.0 x1, 1 M.2 Key E for WiFi " and it is labelled as such on the mobo. There are instructions in the manual on how to insert the wifi module into the slot.