Question Advice needed on how to mount GPU vertically without affecting the PCIE slots and its airflow

zgzdgz

Commendable
Jan 13, 2022
Hello there, recently I've ran into a bit of a problem when I used a bit longer riser cable than I needed to mount it vertically. I've managed to mount the GPU vertically, however, temps from 65C ~ to 80C ~ increased dramatically upon closing the case. The most important reason on why would I use the Cooler Master Riser 30cm cable was that I could use the remaining PCIE slots on the motherboard, and also putting the heatsink over the NVME ssd drive (nvme sits right next to the gpu and it gets pretty toasty when GPU get hot), and also to access the CMOS battery in case I need to use it in the future, since the GPU covers both the pcie 1x slot and the cmos battery.

Silent Base 802
MSI B550M Pro-Vdh
GIGABYTE RTX 4070 OC
5900X
Noctua D15S
Corsair Rmx 1000w
2 HDDs
2 NVME SSDs

Lutfij

Titan
The first mistake you made was going with an matx board in an ATX chassis. If you had an atx board with that chasiss, your NVMe would've been placed on a lower slow, away from your GPU and not heat up...and also end up in a clear airflow path within the case.

also to access the CMOS battery in case I need to use it in the future, since the GPU covers both the pcie 1x slot and the cmos battery.
When troubleshooting, you don't need to do much apart from removing the GPU to access the CMOS battery. to also add;
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C95v1.5.pdf
Page 37, JBAT1 header, short those pins for 30seconds and that should be the same as you removing the battery from the board.

Finally, you should've looked into another case, since the vertical GPU mount pushes the GPU against the side panel.

zgzdgz

Commendable
Jan 13, 2022
The first mistake you made was going with an matx board in an ATX chassis. If you had an atx board with that chasiss, your NVMe would've been placed on a lower slow, away from your GPU and not heat up...and also end up in a clear airflow path within the case.

also to access the CMOS battery in case I need to use it in the future, since the GPU covers both the pcie 1x slot and the cmos battery.
When troubleshooting, you don't need to do much apart from removing the GPU to access the CMOS battery. to also add;
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C95v1.5.pdf
Page 37, JBAT1 header, short those pins for 30seconds and that should be the same as you removing the battery from the board.

Finally, you should've looked into another case, since the vertical GPU mount pushes the GPU against the side panel.
But arent all vertical mounts do that? Basically, the Mobo, 3060, nvme drives, case, PSU, 5600x, ram memory, came with the pre built that I bought back 2021, so only the motherboard and the nvme drives were the only original parts from the previous built that I put in current built, so basically the previous GPU didn't caused any fitting problems whatsoever, but once I put the 4070 in, there was no space for the heatsink and neither for the pie slot anymore.

Last edited: