Advice on barebone or buying parts

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rjo98

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I'm attempting to build a computer from scratch. I'll have to do it over a couple months for fiscal reasons. Looking around I can buy the following for $200, then I think I just need RAM and a hard drive as I can transfer my Windows XP not OEM license from my dead computer to my new computer, and i already have a monitor keyboard mouse from my old computer. I think that's kinda an old processor, right? Or is that an OK price for that stuff and I should go for it? it doesn't say what model motherboard it is unfortunately.

Intel Dual Core 2200
ATX 400w Case
Gigabyte Motherboard

Solution
I found an even better deal on the graphics card - same BFG GTS 250 card - but with 1 GB memory instead of only 512 MB and for only $117 after mail in rebate and including shipping. So more memory for $13 less.

BFG GTS 250 1GB PCI-Express Video Card - $110 AR plus $7 shipping
http://www.frys.com/product/5866223?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

However it is only available for backorder so you might have to wait a little to get it - you can call them and see if they have a date. Or if you live near one of their stores, the local store might have it - several stores in San Jose where I live have it.

rjo98

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
rockyjohn, finally got the psu and graphics card installed, and they are working FABULOUSLY. thanks for all your help getting me to where I am at today. You've made an entire family happy for the next couple years computer-wise :)