[SOLVED] Advice on First PC Build

Nov 30, 2020
Hi all!
I've always wanted to build a PC and I'm finally ready. I'm a novice at this, but I'm a quick learner and a problem-solver.

I did a lot of research and put this parts list together.

Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3bTbkX

I know that the market for parts is a little weird right now, and that a lot of things are in short supply and/or more costly than normal.
I'm patient and will probably not purchase all at once, and will be on the lookout for newer/better compatible parts and price drops.

All that said, what do you think? Suggestions? Criticisms? Tips and tricks?

I don't need anything SUPER fancy (and don't really want to break the bank), but I want something nice. This will be my upgrade from my slimline HP with crappy integrated graphics and a motherboard with no available PCI slots for a better graphics card. I have so many games on Steam that I either CAN'T run or can barely run, so I'm pretty excited about this.

Thanks for your time!

Edits from the replies:
Optical drive is a must. But wi-fi not really necessary.
I don't know why I added the External Hard drive. That's just something I already have. Sorry for the confusion.
I'd say my budget would be around $1k. Happy to go higher for the right parts, but even happier to go lower, lol.
Main use will be gaming, but I do edit photography (which is why I have the external HD) and use the PC for work (mostly microsoft office) sometimes.

Last edited:
Solution
Edited a bit: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CRVhK3
Stayed with 10600k,good cpu for the money.Put a cooler with similar performance to 212,but with rgb.Put a mobo with wifi.Stayed with 2x8gb 3200mhz kit,but its corsiar because of the bling ;) and its cl16.For storage u dont need a 2TB ssd,store everything on a hdd,except windows,and use it as a boot drive.Put a much stronger GPU for the money,since everything is out of stock.Stayed with the case since its ur personal preference,stayed with the psu since its good for this build,and for future upgrades.Idk why u need a 8tb external drive for,but its your choice.What i didnt put in this build is the optical drive since everything that is on the disk,is now on google,also removed wifi...

Coolguy28

Commendable
Dec 5, 2020
Hello, I am also a novice but I would still consider myself competent. One thing I would change on the parts list is maybe a m.2 nvme ssd instead of sata because it may be a bit faster depending on what you're doing. Also, the psu may be a bit higher wattage than you need unless you plan on upgrading parts or overclocking. Another thing is that you may want to rethink some of your part choices because you can almost definitely get some better performance for your budget. A gpu in my opinion should cost a little less than half of the whole pc if you want a very basic rule of thumb. I am not too familiar with the case but you may want to get some extra fans too. But overall, I think your pc is going to be pretty competent in playing most games at 1080p.

Reactions: SetDreadsToStun

Lutfij

Titan
Get at least a 240mm/280mm AIO for that system or a beefy air cooler. Dual channel DDR4-3600MHz kit to get the best out of the platform. You don't need an optical drive in 2020. You can source the installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools. You could easily pick a motherboard that has wifi built into it as opposed to buying an add-on card, or just deal with a USB driven dongle.

What's your budget and what is your intend purpose of the build? Gaming only or do you want to bundle other tasks to the system?

Edited a bit: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CRVhK3
Stayed with 10600k,good cpu for the money.Put a cooler with similar performance to 212,but with rgb.Put a mobo with wifi.Stayed with 2x8gb 3200mhz kit,but its corsiar because of the bling ;) and its cl16.For storage u dont need a 2TB ssd,store everything on a hdd,except windows,and use it as a boot drive.Put a much stronger GPU for the money,since everything is out of stock.Stayed with the case since its ur personal preference,stayed with the psu since its good for this build,and for future upgrades.Idk why u need a 8tb external drive for,but its your choice.What i didnt put in this build is the optical drive since everything that is on the disk,is now on google,also removed wifi card since the mobo has wifi.
Pretty much all the things stated above.

Edit:I also didnt include a windows since u can use windows media creation tool.

Last edited:
Solution
For a gaming-focused system, it's usually better to spend more on graphics hardware than on the CPU. So, for example, going with an i5-10400 or 10400F would allow you to put an extra $90 or so toward the graphics card. Realistically, with a graphics card near this performance range, you're going to be limited mostly by graphics performance in the vast majority of recent "AAA" titles, even at 1080p resolution, so gaming performance would be quite similar between these processors. On the GPU side of things though, moving from an RX 580 up to something like an RX 5600XT or RTX 2060 could net you around 50% higher frame rates in demanding games.

I wouldn't spend close to $200 on a PSU for this level of hardware either. Something like a 650 watt Seasonic Focus Gold can be had for a little over $100, and is a high quality PSU with more than enough capacity. Even the 550 watt model would likely be fine enough for this hardware, though there currently isn't too much of a price difference between them.

Also, particularly if you are playing any competitive FPS games, a wired Internet connection will provide a more stable connection than wireless. If it's practical to run an ethernet cable directly to your router, that would be better than connecting to it wirelessly.

Nov 30, 2020
Thanks everyone for your advice so far! I definitely use my PC for photo editing and microsoft office apps for working from home from time-to-time, but gaming is the main thing I'm thinking about for this build.

I don't really have a particular budget in mind. I'd say I'm comfortable with spending $1k (I already have the memory, and wasn't planning on buying a full-price windows install lol), but could go higher if needed and am happy to go lower.

I don't really remember why I added the external hard drive. That's just something that I already have. Sorry for the confusion.

I still use CDs (feel free to clown me for this lol) so the optical drive is a must.
I'm honestly a little afraid of water cooling, but I'll just have to do my research. Thanks, cryoburner for the advice about the GPU, too.
I agree that the wi-fi adapter isn't really necessary. That one should have been kind of a "duh" for me. Thanks for the advice.
Made notes of what everyone has said about the PSU, and thanks Djoza for the suggested build.

Looking into all of this.
Thanks so much, everyone.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi all!
I've always wanted to build a PC and I'm finally ready. I'm a novice at this, but I'm a quick learner and a problem-solver.

I did a lot of research and put this parts list together.

Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3bTbkX

I know that the market for parts is a little weird right now, and that a lot of things are in short supply and/or more costly than normal.
I'm patient and will probably not purchase all at once, and will be on the lookout for newer/better compatible parts and price drops.

All that said, what do you think? Suggestions? Criticisms? Tips and tricks?

I don't need anything SUPER fancy (and don't really want to break the bank), but I want something nice. This will be my upgrade from my slimline HP with crappy integrated graphics and a motherboard with no available PCI slots for a better graphics card. I have so many games on Steam that I either CAN'T run or can barely run, so I'm pretty excited about this.

Thanks for your time!
Why the 8TB external drive is this just a gaming PC or for other uses also?

The Hyper 212 is not really enough to cool that processor.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks everyone for your advice so far! I definitely use my PC for photo editing and microsoft office apps for working from home from time-to-time, but gaming is the main thing I'm thinking about for this build.

I don't really have a particular budget in mind. I'd say I'm comfortable with spending $1k (I already have the memory, and wasn't planning on buying a full-price windows install lol), but could go higher if needed and am happy to go lower.

I don't really remember why I added the external hard drive. That's just something that I already have. Sorry for the confusion.

I still use CDs (feel free to clown me for this lol) so the optical drive is a must.
I'm honestly a little afraid of water cooling, but I'll just have to do my research. Thanks, cryoburner for the advice about the GPU, too.
I agree that the wi-fi adapter isn't really necessary. That one should have been kind of a "duh" for me. Thanks for the advice.
Made notes of what everyone has said about the PSU, and thanks Djoza for the suggested build.

Looking into all of this.
Thanks so much, everyone.
The PSU is just 110 bucks now not a bad buy at all.
Since you already have the memory. the M.2 drive is just for the OS and programs make sure to redirect steam and the games to the regular dive.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor | $264.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler | $46.59 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $134.99 @ Best Buy
Storage | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $59.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $54.48 @ Newegg
Video Card | MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card | $300.74 @ Office Depot
Case | Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case | $56.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $109.99 @ Best Buy
Optical Drive | Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer | $19.98 @ Amazon
Operating System | Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit | $108.78 @ Other World Computing
Case Fan | Corsair AF120 (2018) 52 CFM 120 mm Fan | $14.99 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $1172.50
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-05 19:40 EST-0500 |

Nov 30, 2020
Ok, everyone. I made some changes to this build based on your suggestions. I really appreciate the help.

What do you think about this? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kX8L4d

I might be a little confused about this, so sorry if I say something wrong. It looks like I can't use at least one of the M.2 slots on either the motherboard I had previously chosen, or the (much better) one Djoza suggested. So I changed to just one 2TB SSD. Is that reasonable?