Question Advice on large storage drive, and backups needed

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Compused

Commendable
Mar 31, 2021
Don't think I changed any "options", just chose "simple volume" and the disk number was "2", and just chose a drive letter.

Z2EQpStatMutASIOs0RNsf6FfoUYt1OOVvWGobKJ.png

BLmM8XYCrY4vux14wV53Wbrv5lQIQIvN2gxLVBRU.png

I like that I can resize the images posted here. Are users able to click to enlarge or view in full size if I size them smaller to take up less page/post space?

Thanks for your help, sir.

Compused

Commendable
Mar 31, 2021
Finally got started on copying the old drive data to new drive. I planned on doing "chunks" of 500GB or less. I first did just under 200GB, I think. I came back to one of those "path name too long" annoying messages, so it was waiting for me to click that to move on. I hate that. Fortunately, it was on the last file I think. And finished right after I got rid of that message.

I installed crystaldiskinfo, cool program. Anyway, after another, but ~400GB sized transfer, I did a couple ~700GB.
The ambient room temp. is ~25-26*C. When I checked the drive temp. in CDI, I think it first said...39*C maybe. I've checked several times now, while doing a bigger transfer, it doesn't really seem get above 37*-39*. I was thinking heat would be a problem, but it doesn't look like it. I have a nice...120mm Noctua fan behind the two drives, on an adjustable 12v adapter, pushing air over them (and likely "into" the rear of the Maiwo enclosure.
The Maiwo has pretty annoying led light(s) on the "front" of the enclosure. Solid, bright red when powered on. With a bright blue, rapidly blinking light in the center of the solid red light when there's any data being transferred. I guess that could be the "back"; the power in and usb-to-pc connections are here, but so are the two usb "hub" ports - and a "power" on/off button (which I'm afraid to actually use, for some reason).

I've got about 1.5tb left to copy. Might do some more tonight.

Anyways. Thanks for the help everyone. I hope the enclosure lasts long enough to at least get this task done. I might replace it with a Startech, or there's an iCan enclosure available too. Has anyone heard of iCan? I was looking just for "brands" of enclosure with more reputable, or at least industry "known" names.

Thanks again.

Reactions: thestryker