advice on printers

bullseye

I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 5 years old) and ink (shadowy print)
is finally beginning to streak when I print. I suspect the cartridge may
finally need replacing. A replacement cartridge costs about $75. Would I
be better off buying a new printer in the $150-$200 range? Is that
realistic?

I appreciate your advice and recommendations. (I am biased towards HP
printers as this one has worked so well for this long.)

I'm sort of in the same boat. I have a 7 year old LaserJet 6L. I know it's
just a matter of time before the toner starts running low. (It's been on the
same toner cartidge for a couple of years.) A new toner cartridge is $60 at
Staples but I can buy a whole new printer for about $100. (Just about any
laser printer that normally sells for about $150 can be had for much less if
you watch for sales and rebates.)

So for about $40 more than it would cost to replace the toner cartridge in
my old printer, I can get today's printer technology (faster ppm, better
resolution, etc.), a USB connection to my computer and a driver made for
Windows XP.

Ted Zieglar

"bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
> I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 5 years old) and ink (shadowy
print)
> is finally beginning to streak when I print. I suspect the cartridge may
> finally need replacing. A replacement cartridge costs about $75. Would I
> be better off buying a new printer in the $150-$200 range? Is that
> realistic?
>
> I appreciate your advice and recommendations. (I am biased towards HP
> printers as this one has worked so well for this long.)

advantages of a new sub $100 laser printer like the minolta 1350w is that
has a usb port, prints very fast, and is new and so under warranty. the
down side is that many of the new printers do not have the build quality of
the older lasers, and that you will probably have to buy a usb cable adding
a large percentage to the total cost. on the other hand, if you get a new
computer you may have to get a adapter (usb to parallel cable) to get your
old machine to work as many new computers do not come with parallel ports in
them. as for the two hp models mentioned above (the 6p and 6l) they are
both know for developing paper pick up problems that are not economically
fixable... hp does (did?) offer a free repair tool that essentially inserted
a new foam pick up pad into the printer but that only lasts for a certain
period of time before the problem comes back... so, if you have a paper
pick up problem, are low on toner, and are expecting to buy a new computer
in the foreseeable feature then i say it buy a new printer rather than buy a
toner for your old one.

> I'm sort of in the same boat. I have a 7 year old LaserJet 6L. I know it's
> just a matter of time before the toner starts running low. (It's been on
> the
> same toner cartidge for a couple of years.) A new toner cartridge is $60
> at
> Staples but I can buy a whole new printer for about $100. (Just about any
> laser printer that normally sells for about $150 can be had for much less
> if
> you watch for sales and rebates.)
>
> So for about $40 more than it would cost to replace the toner cartridge in
> my old printer, I can get today's printer technology (faster ppm, better
> resolution, etc.), a USB connection to my computer and a driver made for
> Windows XP.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
>> I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 5 years old) and ink (shadowy
> print)
>> is finally beginning to streak when I print. I suspect the cartridge may
>> finally need replacing. A replacement cartridge costs about $75. Would
>> be better off buying a new printer in the $150-$200 range? Is that
>> realistic?
>>
>> I appreciate your advice and recommendations. (I am biased towards HP
>> printers as this one has worked so well for this long.)

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:27:51 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
<muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>advantages of a new sub $100 laser printer like the minolta 1350w is that
>has a usb port, prints very fast, and is new and so under warranty. the
>down side is that many of the new printers do not have the build quality of
>the older lasers, and that you will probably have to buy a usb cable adding
>a large percentage to the total cost.

Don't know where you buy your USB cables, but I can't see that a USB
cable would add a "large percentage" to the total cost.
----
Looking for a GMail invite?
http://isnoop.net/gmailomatic.php
----

Thanks for your pov, Christopher.

I'd like to pick up on what you wrote about the build quality of todays
~$150 monochrome lasers. My 6L ($400 in 1997) is made almost entirely of
plastic parts held together by screws, yet it's managed to last for more
than 7 years. What is it about the current crop of printers that causes you
to feel that the build quality isn't that great? Perhaps I should spend a
little more on my next printer if I want it to last another 7 years?

Ted Zieglar

> advantages of a new sub $100 laser printer like the minolta 1350w is that
> has a usb port, prints very fast, and is new and so under warranty. the
> down side is that many of the new printers do not have the build quality
of
> the older lasers, and that you will probably have to buy a usb cable
adding
> a large percentage to the total cost. on the other hand, if you get a new
> computer you may have to get a adapter (usb to parallel cable) to get your
> old machine to work as many new computers do not come with parallel ports
in
> them. as for the two hp models mentioned above (the 6p and 6l) they are
> both know for developing paper pick up problems that are not economically
> fixable... hp does (did?) offer a free repair tool that essentially
inserted
> a new foam pick up pad into the printer but that only lasts for a certain
> period of time before the problem comes back... so, if you have a paper
> pick up problem, are low on toner, and are expecting to buy a new computer
> in the foreseeable feature then i say it buy a new printer rather than buy
> toner for your old one.

> > I'm sort of in the same boat. I have a 7 year old LaserJet 6L. I know
it's
> > just a matter of time before the toner starts running low. (It's been on
> > the
> > same toner cartidge for a couple of years.) A new toner cartridge is $60
> > at
> > Staples but I can buy a whole new printer for about $100. (Just about
any
> > laser printer that normally sells for about $150 can be had for much
less
> > if
> > you watch for sales and rebates.)
> >
> > So for about $40 more than it would cost to replace the toner cartridge
in
> > my old printer, I can get today's printer technology (faster ppm, better
> > resolution, etc.), a USB connection to my computer and a driver made for
> > Windows XP.
> >
> > Ted Zieglar
> >
> > "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
> >> I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 5 years old) and ink (shadowy
> > print)
> >> is finally beginning to streak when I print. I suspect the cartridge
may
> >> finally need replacing. A replacement cartridge costs about $75.
Would
> >> be better off buying a new printer in the $150-$200 range? Is that
> >> realistic?
> >>
> >> I appreciate your advice and recommendations. (I am biased towards HP
> >> printers as this one has worked so well for this long.)

Consider yourself lucky. The design defects in 5L, 6L, 1100 and maybe a couple
of other models were cause for a class action lawsuit against HP. The
settlement of the lawsuit was agreement by HP to supply a free kit to remedy
paper pickup problems. The kit cost pennies to make and provided a stopgap
solution to the misfeed problems that plagued the printers. The kit is no
longer available from HP.

You must have cared well for the printer, feeding it the best of paper, and
gently doing whatever needed to be done to it so as not to fracture the cheap
and not very sturdy plastic parts.

The aforementioned 5L, 6L, etc. were HP's bottom-of-the-line laser printers
intended for an extremely light duty cycle, even tho they cost $400, a high
price by today's standards.

Today's equivalent bottom-of-the-line laser printers, any brand name, are just
as cheaply made, although they may have improved and more reliable design. Of
course, as with inkjet printers, the laser printer manufacturers are now
designing much smaller toner cartridges capable of printing far fewer pages
before needing replacement. The "justification" for smaller toner cartridges is
a smaller footprint occupied by the printer. Frankly, I'd rather have a larger
printer that consumes long-life toner cartridges. I've installed some of these
el cheapo laser printers for people and the absence of any sturdiness is not
impressive. Same with the ones I see in the mass market stores.

I'm not aware of the 6p having the same paper (mis)feed issues as the 5L, 6L,
etc.

With any of these older printers, one also needs to consider the markedly lower
cost of recycled and refilled toner cartridges, from a reliable source, of
course. The operating costs with refilled cartridges are miniscule.

I've been using a larger old Hewlett-Packard 5M with JetDirect card. Prints
fast enough at 12ppm. Has a PowerSave option, so it can be on 24/7. Full
PostScript capability and maxed out on-board memory, which means no problems
printing Acrobat PDFs or anything else. Ethernet means that it is networked and
shared with other people's computers. Ethernet also means much faster
printing-and-spooling within my computer. The difference here is that the LJ 5M
is built like a small tank, and just keeps pumping out the paper. It helps that
I can take one apart partially (4 Philips head screws) and keep the inside clean
and free of dust and dirt as needed... Ben Myers

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:50:53 -0500, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> > I'm sort of in the same boat. I have a 7 year old LaserJet 6L. I know
>it's
>> > just a matter of time before the toner starts running low. (It's been on
>> > the
>> > same toner cartidge for a couple of years.) A new toner cartridge is $60
>> > at
>> > Staples but I can buy a whole new printer for about $100. (Just about
>any
>> > laser printer that normally sells for about $150 can be had for much
>less
>> > if
>> > you watch for sales and rebates.)
>> >
>> > So for about $40 more than it would cost to replace the toner cartridge
>in
>> > my old printer, I can get today's printer technology (faster ppm, better
>> > resolution, etc.), a USB connection to my computer and a driver made for

That is a good printer! Get a new cartridge. I have a HP 5P and I love it.

> Well, I owned both a 6P and 1100, so both form factors.
>
> Both died from feed problems. The 6P lasted for years, but the rollers
> literally melted. It was never high use.
>
> The 1100 lasted 18 months. Probably 200 sheets total fed through it.
>
> On the other hand, my Dad's 4P is still going strong with lots of use.
>
> I bought a Samsung ML-1710. It's been perfect. Goes to sleep, so
> absolutely silent. USB ONLY!.
>
> $79 with rebate. Included full toner cartridge, not a 'demo cartridge'.
> Lasted forever (just replaced it).
>
> It also does a great job of single page and single envelope feed, which is
> important to me.
>
> Highly recommended.
>
> Tom

Tom - what was the approx. cost of the replacement toner cart? Just
curious -

Stew

>> Well, I owned both a 6P and 1100, so both form factors.
>>
>> Both died from feed problems. The 6P lasted for years, but the rollers
>> literally melted. It was never high use.
>>
>> The 1100 lasted 18 months. Probably 200 sheets total fed through it.
>>
>> On the other hand, my Dad's 4P is still going strong with lots of use.
>>
>> I bought a Samsung ML-1710. It's been perfect. Goes to sleep, so
>> absolutely silent. USB ONLY!.
>>
>> $79 with rebate. Included full toner cartridge, not a 'demo cartridge'.
>> Lasted forever (just replaced it).
>>
>> It also does a great job of single page and single envelope feed, which
>> is important to me.
>>
>> Highly recommended.
>>
>> Tom
>

> Tom - what was the approx. cost of the replacement toner cart? Just
> curious -
>

> Stew

Well, I've just switched to a new role at work where I work from home. So I
called the Office assistant and asked for a couple and they arrived a few
days later -- free :)

They're $75 at Buy.com The ML1710 and ML1750 seem to use the same
cartridge.

Tom

stan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> The kit cost pennies to make and provided a stopgap
> solution to the misfeed problems that plagued the printers. The kit is no
> longer available from HP.
>
> You must have cared well for the printer, feeding it the best of paper,
> and
> gently doing whatever needed to be done to it so as not to fracture the
> cheap
> and not very sturdy plastic parts.

I bought a 5L in 1996 for $475. After eight years, it finally died last
year. It had the misfeed problem. I assumed it was just my printer.

I do not print much. I am currently sending the pages to be printed to
Kinko's at 8 cents a page.

Is it cost effective to buy a laser-quality multi-function ink-jet printer
if the print volume is low? Thanks in advance.

My fundamental concern about any inkjet printer remains the cost of feeding it
the ink cartridges. The mass market retailers all have these nearly giveaway
$49 or $59 inkjet printer deals. Then when it comes time to replace the ink,
almost always low volume "starter" ink cartridges, the cost is nearly that of
the original printer price. Add to the high cost of inks the fact that Lexmark
and HP (and others?) all embed microchips in the ink cartridges to defeat
refilling and to (sometimes) render a cartridge expired when the expiration date
has passed, and you have the typical old-time Gilette strategy of giving away
the razor and making all the money on the blades.

How does the "printer" figure out that the cartridge is expired? Well, maybe
not exactly the printer. More likely, the host software interrogates the
cartridge and declares it expired after a certain date. Bi-directional printer
interfaces are good for communicating status of the printer hardware and
cartridges back to the software that spins around in the computer.

I cannot make any recommendations for inkjet printers and I will not. Shop VERY
carefully... Ben Myers

> My fundamental concern about any inkjet printer remains the cost of
> feeding it
> the ink cartridges. The mass market retailers all have these nearly
> giveaway
> $49 or $59 inkjet printer deals. Then when it comes time to replace the
> ink,
> almost always low volume "starter" ink cartridges, the cost is nearly that
> of
> the original printer price. Add to the high cost of inks the fact that
> Lexmark
> and HP (and others?) all embed microchips in the ink cartridges to defeat
> refilling and to (sometimes) render a cartridge expired when the
> expiration date
> has passed, and you have the typical old-time Gilette strategy of giving
> away
> the razor and making all the money on the blades.
>
> How does the "printer" figure out that the cartridge is expired? Well,
> maybe
> not exactly the printer. More likely, the host software interrogates the
> cartridge and declares it expired after a certain date. Bi-directional
> printer
> interfaces are good for communicating status of the printer hardware and
> cartridges back to the software that spins around in the computer.
>
> I cannot make any recommendations for inkjet printers and I will not.
> Shop VERY
> carefully... Ben Myers

I replaced an older Okidata in need of work (toner and drum) for someone in
a small office - with an HP 5150 inkjet - as an experiment. Printer itself
with cable was around $100 then.

Black carts (#56) can be found for the 5150 for less than $20, and it also
offers them the choice of the occasional color (and/or photo quality) print.

That was a year ago, and at 19ppm b/w, they're pleased. I bought one for
myself as well shortly after.

Stew

bullseye

How do I figure then that changing the toner will suffice? After following
the thread in here, I am leaning towards purchasing a replacement cartridge
for my 6p (and hoping my $75 will last me another three or four years). :)

However, how do I make sure the streaking I am getting is simply a low toner
issue and not a break down of other inside components?

Thanking all for your replies.

Why risk it?

I paid $79 for the Samsung laser printer. faster and better quality than
the HP it replaced.

Tom

> Why risk it?
>
> I paid $79 for the Samsung laser printer. faster and better quality than
> the HP it replaced.
>
> Tom

<snip>

A laser printer for $80? ! What model? As I said in the beginning, I will
consider paying even $100-$150 but $80 sounds great.

>> Why risk it?
>>
>> I paid $79 for the Samsung laser printer. faster and better quality than
>> the HP it replaced.
>>
>> Tom
>
> <snip>
>
> A laser printer for $80? ! What model? As I said in the beginning, I
> will
> consider paying even $100-$150 but $80 sounds great.

Earlier in the thread, he stated it was an ML-1710 Samsung.....

Stew

> "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> Why risk it?
>>>
>>> I paid $79 for the Samsung laser printer. faster and better quality
>>> than
>>> the HP it replaced.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> A laser printer for $80? ! What model? As I said in the beginning, I
>> will
>> consider paying even $100-$150 but $80 sounds great.
>>

> Earlier in the thread, he stated it was an ML-1710 Samsung.....
>

> Stew

And that price was with rebate. Not that uncommon at Best Buy or Circuit
City.

For example, here's the ML-1740 at Circuit City for $113.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-Laser-Printer-ML-1740-/sem/rpsm/oid/92938/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

17ppm. Windows and Linux. USB and Parallel (no cables included).

Does come with a 1000 page starter toner though.

Tom

staples, office depot, bestbuy, circuit city are notorious for charging at
least $25 for a usb cable. considering that the minolta 1350w sells for $99
i would say that the cable represents a large percentage of the purchase.
of course you can buy your cable elsewhere but not many people want to take
home a printer that they can't use... that is probably where the retailers
make most of their profit.

> staples, office depot, bestbuy, circuit city are notorious for charging at
> least $25 for a usb cable. considering that the minolta 1350w sells for
> $99 i would say that the cable represents a large percentage of the
> purchase. of course you can buy your cable elsewhere but not many people
> want to take home a printer that they can't use... that is probably where
> the retailers make most of their profit.

Add OfficeMax to that list as well. Damned near $1 per running foot for the
cable.

Sites such as newegg are far better....

Stew

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 23:59:12 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
<muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>staples, office depot, bestbuy, circuit city are notorious for charging at
>least $25 for a usb cable. considering that the minolta 1350w sells for $99
>i would say that the cable represents a large percentage of the purchase.
>of course you can buy your cable elsewhere but not many people want to take
>home a printer that they can't use... that is probably where the retailers
>make most of their profit.

You guys are getting screwed. I paid two bucks a pop for six foot USB
cables.
----
Looking for a GMail invite?
http://isnoop.net/gmailomatic.php
----

lower build quality stems from the nature of modern technology and the
popular mentality of our disposable economy. with technology changing so
quickly, fierce competition on price, and the generally disposable attitude
towards new products there is no incentive for superior build quality. new
machines work well but will not last like the older ones. i still see the
original laserjet 500 machines in operation from time to time. but
remember, those cost about half the price of a car in their day. with the
price of these new machines at just $100, who cares if they last (other than
the environment).

in the low price range there are good products from minolta, samsung, and
brother. the minolta has a direct paper path (paper does not turn 180
degrees like on the samsung or brother) making it capable of accepting
thicker stock. the brother is unique in that they have a two part cartridge
(toner separate from drum) making it much cheaper to add toner but arguable
cheaper to buy a new model when the drum requires replacement. if you
happen to need a fax, could see some benefit from a sheet feed scanner, and
think that you might find some use for a copier, then i suggest that you
look at the brother mfc-4800. it goes for under $200 and even though it is
a relatively old model it is still and excellent value. it has the two part
cartridge making toner replacement cost under $30 (2,200 pages). the drum
(12,000 pages) however costs as much of the whole machine (with drum). as
for printer only machines... the minolta 1350w is a great printer for an
amazing price. the brother hl-1440 is also an amazing value but relatively
larger than the others yet it does have the two part cartridge. the samsung
ml-1740 is the best looking of the lot and compact but currently has an
annoying rebate that allows it to compete with the others on price. the
brother and the samsung have paper feed from a tray/drawer underneath they
don't change in size when in use.

good luck.

> [...]
>> > just a matter of time before the toner starts running low. (It's been
>> > on
>> > the
>> > same toner cartidge for a couple of years.) A new toner cartridge is
>> > $60
>> > at
>> > Staples but I can buy a whole new printer for about $100. (Just about
> any
>> > laser printer that normally sells for about $150 can be had for much
> less
>> > if
>> > you watch for sales and rebates.)
>> >
>> > So for about $40 more than it would cost to replace the toner cartridge
> in
>> > my old printer, I can get today's printer technology (faster ppm,
>> > better
>> > resolution, etc.), a USB connection to my computer and a driver made

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Ted Zieglar wrote:

> Thanks for your pov, Christopher.
>
> I'd like to pick up on what you wrote about the build quality of todays
> ~$150 monochrome lasers. My 6L ($400 in 1997) is made almost entirely of
> plastic parts held together by screws, yet it's managed to last for more
> than 7 years. What is it about the current crop of printers that causes you
> to feel that the build quality isn't that great? Perhaps I should spend a
> little more on my next printer if I want it to last another 7 years?

I bought an HP LJ5L in '97 to replace my 10 year old LJ Series II
workhorse. Within 2 years it had developed serious paper feed problems
such that I was hand feeding sheets for printing (it would feed as many
as a dozen sheets on its own). I didn't find out about HP's repair kit
until after I'd bought a Samsung ML-1210 in 2002. I replaced the Samsung
last year with a Brother 8220 Multi-Function unit, which is easily the
best laser printer I've owned so far (don't know yet if it'll outlast
the Series II, however, and I doubt it). The Samsung hadn't failed yet,
but it was making nasty screeching sounds when the print engine fired up
and I needed a new all-in-one because my old one (an inkjet model) had
gone tits up.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Stan wrote:

>>The kit cost pennies to make and provided a stopgap
>>solution to the misfeed problems that plagued the printers. The kit is no
>>longer available from HP.
>>
>>You must have cared well for the printer, feeding it the best of paper,
>>and
>>gently doing whatever needed to be done to it so as not to fracture the
>>cheap
>>and not very sturdy plastic parts.
>

> I bought a 5L in 1996 for $475. After eight years, it finally died last
> year. It had the misfeed problem. I assumed it was just my printer.
>
> I do not print much. I am currently sending the pages to be printed to
> Kinko's at 8 cents a page.
>
> Is it cost effective to buy a laser-quality multi-function ink-jet printer
> if the print volume is low? Thanks in advance.

I tried that in 2000 and wouldn't recommend it. I'd look into a laser
all-in-one like the Brother 8220, et al.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Ben Myers wrote:

<snip>

> I cannot make any recommendations for inkjet printers and I will not. Shop VERY
> carefully... Ben Myers

I can recommend an Epson [Stylus Photo, I think] R300 ink jet very
highly. Very good photo prints although it's not a multi-function model.

Of course, the models I bought last year & can recommend are no longer
offered for sale. :)