After boot PC takes about 1 minute to connect to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2018
My new computer is great except for one thing, after i turn it on or reboot it there is a delay between reaching the desktop and connecting to the internet. The delay is about 1-2 minutes and its been driving me mad for weeks. The motherboard that i have is the MSI Z370-a pro if that helps. I have been looking for a solution on my own but can't seem to find anything.

If any one knows a solution, please post it, Thanks.

Solution
Try setting a static IP address. Skipping DHCP may resolve your issue.
https://oit.colorado.edu/tutorial/static-ip-configuration-windows-7

DNS (I'd use Google for DNS, It always seems faster than ISP, at least in my area)

Find your current IP Address
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/windows-7/find-your-local-ip-address-windows-7-cmd/

I would also reserve the same static IP address for your computer in your router. So, it does not try to assign that address to some other devices. Otherwise set a narrower range for DHCP and set your address outside that range. Must be between 1 and 254.

Here's how you find your MAC address. Which you'll need if you set a static address in your router...
A couple different things could be going on. It could be slow to get an IP address or log into WiFi (if your using WiFi). It could also be some kind of authentication issue or a piece of software (VPN or software firewall?), but my guess is it is a driver issue. Did you load the lan driver from the disk or MSI website?

Aug 6, 2018
I got the drivers from MSI website and i use ethernet, but a software could be the issue if you have any examples of software that effects PCs in this way.

I also tried using a dedicated network card, but to no avail.

Thanks for the quick resopnse.

Try setting a static IP address. Skipping DHCP may resolve your issue.
https://oit.colorado.edu/tutorial/static-ip-configuration-windows-7

DNS (I'd use Google for DNS, It always seems faster than ISP, at least in my area)

Find your current IP Address
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/windows-7/find-your-local-ip-address-windows-7-cmd/

I would also reserve the same static IP address for your computer in your router. So, it does not try to assign that address to some other devices. Otherwise set a narrower range for DHCP and set your address outside that range. Must be between 1 and 254.

Here's how you find your MAC address. Which you'll need if you set a static address in your router.
https://kb.netgear.com/1005/How-to-find-a-MAC-address

Solution
Velocity has a good suggestion ... especially if it is a DHCP issue. Of course, one would expect the same behavior on all your devices if that is what going on.

Software that can be an issue ... Look for something called security suite. It could be from the same company that is supplying you antivirus. To monitor traffic they will send all network traffic through a virtual interface. It could also be a software firewall from companies like Norton (Symantec), Zone Alarm, Comodo, or Outpost.

Aug 6, 2018
Thanks for all of your suggestions but none of them seemed to work. One thing that i learned is that it's the boot where the internet takes a long time to coonect, if i disconnect the cable and plug it back in it is almost instant. Could there be something in the bios or similar?

Thnaks agian

Aug 6, 2018
There are 3 computers connected via ethernet and 2 laptops, only my new pc is having this issue.

As for service and network, i have fiber with 400mb up/down.

Edit: 200gb to 400mb

200 gbps .. there is your problem ... it's too fast!

Seriously, one thing I forgot about is the possibility that the adapter is negotiating speed and that is taking longer.

Go to Device Manager->Network Adapters->right click your adapter and select properties->select the advanced tab->scroll down to "Speed & Duplex" ... it is probably set to Auto-Negotiate. Change it to 100 Mbps half duplex and reboot. If this fixes the problem, go back and try 100 Mbps full duplex. If still working, go back and try 1 Gbps full duplex ... this might work and it might fail.

Let us know.

Reactions: mercster
I was kidding about the too fast.

I'm pretty stumped ... can you look at one other thing to see if it gives us a clue. On the back of your computer, on the Ethernet port there should be 2 indicator lights. Often they are green and amber. When you do a full shutdown, do those lights go out? When you start up, what is the light pattern you see?

Aug 6, 2018
Ok, so when te computer is off the lights are off, when its turining on the green light is on and the amber is blinking and when it reaches the desktop the amber light is on and the green is blincking

The top left light is your connection light (should be yellow). It will turn solid to indicate you are linked and then it will start to blink in a non-pattern. This indicates that data is flowing. From your description, that light is blinking way before you have network. The top right light is your link speed. Orange is 1 Gbps.

If I have interpreted this correctly, then it's clearly not a physical problem, but a software one. I was going through the list of software that came with the motherboard. You may or may not have installed it all. The one I was looking at is "DPC Latency Tuner". I would remove this. I also see they provide "Norton Internet Security Solution". I would remove this next (you can reinstall it if that does not fix the problem).

It's my opinion that it is probably a software issue. My guess is some kind of antivirus, security software, network monitoring, or network enhancing software.

Nothing on that list jumps at me. Could there be some software (probably security or internet speed enhancer related) that you installed and then removed. It does happen sometimes that uninstalls leave behind some fragment.

Have you ever tried try to boot into safe mode to see if that makes a difference (if you have internet right away, then it is definitely a software issue).

This make no sense. When you say you can't connect, I assume you mean a browser (all browsers)? Could this be some extension you have added to the browser?
Do you know how to make a batch file? It's a series of DOS commands in a file that you run by double clicking.
1. Open Notepad
2. Type the line "ping -n 50 google.com"
3. Save the file to your desktop as "myfile.bat"

If you did it right, you will see a new shortcut on your desktop with a white box with 2 gears inside. Double click it and it will start pinging google. If you don't have a connection then you can't ping google. So then, the next time you restart double click that right away. If you can ping google, but nothing will come up in the browser, then it is not hardware, but software that is the issue ... and maybe something with your browser.

Aug 6, 2018
When i mean that i can't connect i mean that the little ethernet icon in the bottom right has the yellow triangel and is saying "identifying network" for around a minute. Since my old computer and my brothers computer connects immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.