Question After installing water cooler, blank screen appears after a few seconds.

ApplesGoneBloopie

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
I recently installed a Frostflow 120VGA onto my Gigabyte 2080ti Turbo. I had a few rough spots since it was my first time doing that kind of install, but I got through with it. However, I now have an issue wherein, when I turn on my PC, my GPU is detected briefly, and then I get told that there is no signal.

The radiator fan seems to work just fine, though I forgot to check the fan that came with the Frostflow 120VGA that was directly on the GPU, and I assume that the rest of my PC is fine.

So, I'm wondering what solutions I might have. I can try to put the original components of the GPU back on in the meantime.

A few things I can think of, all of which seemingly don't directly pertain to my GPU's ability to be picked up by monitor:
I had to plug the 3-pin connectors that came along with the water cooler into random places that weren't 3-pin slots themselves.
I didn't clean up the left-over thermal paste that was initially there very well. It got a bit smeared on some components, but I cleaned it up as best as I could with what I had.
The VRAM heatsinks I used aren't sticking too well on one side - one of the heatsinks doesn't even look like it's attached, but it's sticking.
A single drip of 100% acetone nail polish got onto the board. It seemed to dry away quickly, and I tried to absorb it with a cotton pad.

Yet again, I'm unsure if the issues I stated would be directly related. I made sure that the GPU was properly plugged in, and I switched PCI ports.

Thank you for reading.

Edit: I reinstalled the default cooler, and my GPU is back to working! So, luckily, any nail polish mishaps and rough installation haven't damaged the board of the GPU; at least not significantly.

Last edited:
Did the GPU run well before?

Aceton nail polish is not recommended because of other ingredients, which shouldn´t touch electronic components. Use Isopropylalcohol or special PCB cleaner sprays.

Shouldn´t it be 4 pin connectors?

Reinstall the default cooler

ApplesGoneBloopie

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
1. The GPU did not run well before really. It overheated easily, even though it could push high framerates. I found that lowering settings and the like didn't really work, but limiting the framerate did. However, that defeats the purpose of having a 144Hz monitor.

2. It's a bit too late with the nail polish for now, but I can use Isopropylalcohol in the future.

3. I don't know. I'm just using what the Frostflow 120VGA came with, and it came with 3-pin connectors.

4. I reinstalled the default cooler, and my GPU is back to working! So, luckily, any nail polish mishaps and rough installation haven't damaged the board of the GPU; at least not significantly.

I could buy some 3-pin-to-4-pin connectors. The radiator fan had a 4-pin associated with it, but the other two were 3-pins. Perhaps I should buy some converters? However, would it be relevant at all if the fans were working fine? I forgot to check if the fan that came with the Frostflow 120VGA that was directly on the GPU was working, which was a big derp move on my part.