[SOLVED] After new RAM... PC boots, crashes, restarts, but then GPU fans won't run.

Dec 3, 2020
Hello,

Short story. Got a pair of new RAM so I uninstalled the current sticks and installed the new ones. Everything turned on, but I wasn't getting a picture. I rebooted it a few times before seeing that even though the light to my GPU was on (meaning it is getting power), the fans were no longer running.

To troubleshoot, I took out the GPU and reinstalled to make sure all the connectors were right. All good there it seems. I reinstalled the old RAM and booted it back up. This is when it began a pattern of completely booting (even the GPU fans) then crashing, restarting, and the GPU fans aren't running. At no point in this pattern do I get picture on a monitor.

GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390

Old RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series DDR4-2400

New RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 5 Series DDR4-4000

I have an MSI Radeon R9 390. It's older, which could be a problem, but I'm waiting on the new GPUs to be available at market price. I know... I could be waiting for a while.

Solution
Hello,

Short story. Got a pair of new RAM so I uninstalled the current sticks and installed the new ones. Everything turned on, but I wasn't getting a picture. I rebooted it a few times before seeing that even though the light to my GPU was on (meaning it is getting power), the fans were no longer running.

To troubleshoot, I took out the GPU and reinstalled to make sure all the connectors were right. All good there it seems. I reinstalled the old RAM and booted it back up. This is when it began a pattern of completely booting (even the GPU fans) then crashing, restarting, and the GPU fans aren't running. At no point in this pattern do I get picture on a monitor.

Old RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series DDR4-2400...
Hello,

Old RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series DDR4-2400

New RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 5 Series DDR4-4000

I have an MSI Radeon R9 390. It's older, which could be a problem, but I'm waiting on the new GPUs to be available at market price. I know... I could be waiting for a while.
First have you tried resetting your bios? Have you tried if you have it, your intergrated graphics? Have you tried a different graphics card? FIRST STEP Power off your computer, unplug it, then open the side panel and take out the shiny watch battery that's shaped like a frisbee. Wait 10-15 minutes, put the battery back in, plug the computer back in, and turn it on. You may be prompted on screen that the bios has been reset. You can choose to enter bios configuration (by usually pressing F1/DELETE) to adjust things like boot devices, overclocks, fan curves etc. Make sure ram is at 2400mhz. It should be able to run at that speed at 1.2v no problem. Motherboard should however automatically configure that for you. It might also say something like press F2 for default settings. I'd recommend tweaking ram speeds/voltage to make sure it's correct. If you don't need extra ram I'd honestly just recommend taking out the 2400mhz kit due to it being much slower. Which first tell us what cpu you have before that shall be decided. Your cpu might not even support above 2400mhz ram.

Solution
Dec 3, 2020
First have you tried resetting your bios? Have you tried if you have it, your intergrated graphics? Have you tried a different graphics card? FIRST STEP Power off your computer, unplug it, then open the side panel and take out the shiny watch battery that's shaped like a frisbee. Wait 10-15 minutes, put the battery back in, plug the computer back in, and turn it on. You may be prompted on screen that the bios has been reset. You can choose to enter bios configuration (by usually pressing F1/DELETE) to adjust things like boot devices, overclocks, fan curves etc. Make sure ram is at 2400mhz. It should be able to run at that speed at 1.2v no problem. Motherboard should however automatically configure that for you. It might also say something like press F2 for default settings. I'd recommend tweaking ram speeds/voltage to make sure it's correct. If you don't need extra ram I'd honestly just recommend taking out the 2400mhz kit due to it being much slower. Which first tell us what cpu you have before that shall be decided. Your cpu might not even support above 2400mhz ram.

CPU is i7 6700k 4.0 GHz. I'm overhauling my current rig with new equipment and while I'm waiting on other parts, I figured I would throw in the new RAM to help with some video editing I've been doing. Turns out that might have been a bad idea. Maybe my current rig doesn't support it but my new stuff surely will. Probably the safest bet for now is to be patient, use the 2400, and wait for the rest. Yes?