Question After setting the power limit to 125%, the graphics card only shows an image if it is operated without an additional pci cable ?

Dec 18, 2020
Hi guys. I recently had the problem that my Gainward GTX980 no longer gives an image. I have run benchmarks or stress tests under the pretext of testing the performance of my power supply unit in the last few days (I wanted to check whether my power supply unit has enough power for my system). I have used the MSI Kombustor for the GPU and prime95 for the CPU very often. Whenever I set the power limit from 100 to 125%, my PC crashed. I then tested it with various power supplies. In the end I had a 650W Corsair power supply with 52A on the + 12V rail and tested the same thing (ONLY set the power limit from 100% to 125%). This time the PC crashed and when I restarted there was no picture. I had to use the iGPU of the CPU for a picture because the card was not recognized at all.

Since then the card is no longer recognized. However, if I connect the card without an additional power connection, a picture comes up with the message: "Please power down and connect the PCIe power cable (s) for this graphics card". My graphics card has a 6 and an 8 pin power connector. If I only connect the 8 pin power plug, the same message comes up. However, as soon as I also connect the 6-pin connector or if I ONLY connect the 6-pin connector, the card is not recognized. In a post where there was a similar problem, it was written that adjusting the power limit alone should not make a graphics card defective, so I am writing here. I'm on vacation now and it would be annoying not to be able to gamble right now. So I ask for help, please suggest solutions. I would be really very grateful for any help!

System information:

CPU: i7-3770

GPU: Gainward GTX980 4G

RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) DDR3 1333MHz

MAINBOARD: Asus P8H77M-PRO

HARD DRIVE: WD BLUE 1TB SATA SSD

PSU: Corsair VS650

possibly helpful info: my mainboard has 2x PCIe x16 connections, so I can connect 2 graphics cards for a possible test. I also have a GTX 260 lying around. If you can think of a test proposal, please write!

In a post where there was a similar problem, it was written that adjusting the power limit alone should not make a graphics card defective, so I am writing here. I'm on vacation now and it would be annoying not to be able to gamble right now. So I ask for help, please suggest solutions. I would be really very grateful for any help!
I would not believe everything I read on the internet.

Reactions: rgd1101